NEurope
Sméagol

Trolljegeren / Troll Hunter

New video:

*crawls back to cave*

FAKE EDIT:

Saw the movie today. I think it's one of the best movies I have ever seen. So funny yet it manage to stay somewhat serious and exciting. Don't know what to else to tell but ask questions if you want. If it get released outside of Norway you have to watch it, but it's kind of pointless if it doesn't have subtitles.

The DVD and Blu-Ray versions in Norway don't have English subtitles(it's out tomorrow). Looked on Play and Amazan and they don't even have it listed. Sorry.

This seems to be scheduled for release on 12-05 here. So I'll see it eventually.

My friend has seen this and won't stop raving about it, apparently it's a definite must-see.

...and I have to say that I am more than intrigued!

So, did you see it?

Sorry dude. Of the 4 cinemas here, it's playing in the worst. I prefer to avoid the place even when it's the only place playing a movie I want to see. And I don't like going alone there, seems my brother wasn't anticipating this movie as much as I was. And it's playing at unfavorable times as well.

That said, I still want to see it.. I'll see if I can make it tomorrow, or this week at least. I'll try to get up early.

Went all the way to Amsterdam to see this film (and another one), in a much better cinema than the one one that was playing it here a few weeks ago. In typical fashion, I missed the first 5-10 minutes though, it was quite a walk from the train station to the cinema :D (I always quite underestimate these things, and I always dawdle too much before actually leaving :rolleyes:).

Anyway, perhaps somebody can fill me in on what I missed, I got in at the point where they were heading towards the forest.

Anyway, If I’m being totally honest.. I can’t call it a good film. I’m glad I’ve finally seen it now, and it has some nice special effects and action scenes, and there’s some gorgeous imagery of Norway to be seen. But even for an obvious tongue-in-cheek film like this, I can’t really forgive the bad script and story. The film itself may be tongue-in-cheek, but the vibe they’re going for is the same as similar (..) films, like Cloverfield: a bit of a serious horror vibe, and within such context, the illogical decisions and stupid explanations don’t really fit (and annoyed me a bit). I think they should’ve decided early on if they wanted to go in a clear horror direction, or a clear comedy direction, I think both directions could’ve improved this film a lot. Also.. The ending was really abrupt, and not keeping in line with earlier established elements.

Anyway, I wouldn’t call this a huge waste of my time, but I don’t think I’ll want this on a disc.

Watched this at the cinema today.

It was a bit on the slow side, but I thought it was quite a good film. I like how it all seemed to tie in with real myths (I assume. I don't really know much about trolls) and almost seemed believable.

The ending seemed a bit weak though.

They kind of ruined the ending by starting the movie by saying that the footage was found somewhere. Because of that, they had to kill off the characters.

But they did the whole defeating the big bastard boss troll, then justified the found tapes by having the government show up and bury all the evidence, presumably by killing all the characters. Just seemed a bit weak. Would have been much better if they hadn't done the whole "found tapes" thing and just had it as a documentary, with the main characters surviving and publishing it, rather than someone finding this mysterious footage.

Some of the CGI was a bit ropey, but I liked the design of the trolls. Plus I think they showed just enough of them to keep it looking like proper amateur footage. You saw just enough that it didn't feel like you were always just seeing glimpses (I'd like to think getting footage of a huge fucking troll would be a high priority for someone with a camera in their hand), but not too much that it felt staged. Nice balance.

The final Troll seemed a lot like Shadow of the Colossus.

but because it seemed sad to kill it. Felt really sorry for it after it had it's first 2 doses of the flash. It was the right thing to do to finish it off, but it was just rather sad.

Edited by Goafer

One of the things that annoyed me the most was that

that government guy was incompetent each time you saw him except at the very end. He was like “Can I have the tape please? No? Aww please? I’l get you grrrr!!â€. He had several attempts to get them, but he just walked away. Then finally at the end, after you feel the trollhunters deserve a break, he gest serious and kills them, after all they went through. I hated that. Not consistent.

One of the things that annoyed me the most was that

that government guy was incompetent each time you saw him except at the very end. He was like “Can I have the tape please? No? Aww please? I’l get you grrrr!!â€. He had several attempts to get them, but he just walked away. Then finally at the end, after you feel the trollhunters deserve a break, he gest serious and kills them, after all they went through. I hated that. Not consistent.

Yeah that whole bit of the story was a bit shit.

the troll hunter has just told the camera people to bugger off when he knew the government guy was coming. Or if they'd just cut out the last scene where they show up. They came out of nowhere. Felt really forced.

Or like I'd said before and they'd just dropped the whole "this is totally real and junk. The evil government just don't want you to know about it for some reason, even though trolls are basically just another species of animal."

Just watched my blu ray copy, I really enjoyed it.

Reading through this thread I agree with most peoples complaints about Finn throughout the movie, I was thinking the same thing while watching it.

That seismologist they pick up at the end seemed really out of place and pointless. I kept expecting him to be working with Finn and try to take the tapes.

Plus, what happens to Hans? We see him survive taking down the giant troll and walking back towards them but then thats it. He isnt walking with them on the road later.

EDIT: Also, its a shame this is getting an American remake. There was a line in the film about Hans being the only Norwegian troll hunter which made me think any American movie would serve better as a kind of companion movie showing US troll hunters, maybe even referencing this movie in some way.