NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 29/08/2014 - 12pm

Sorry to interrupt the GBC discussion but I just wanted to say that every time that I flip open my original 3DS these days, 2015 suddenly feels like a lifetime away! I kinda want to get this New 3DS while I'm in the mood for it :heh:

I have a weird feeling they'll only release the XL over here :shakehead

Even then, iirc, you couldn't play games on GBC looking exactly the same as Brick GB, and possibly even as GBP(could be wrong here) - again it's much more visual and memorable/differentiating in that sense.

You could play the old games with the old palettes, as well as a bunch of others (one of them was a negative GBP palette. Trippy stuff).

You just need to input the right button combination when the GBC starts up.

You could play the old games with the old palettes, as well as a bunch of others (one of them was a negative GBP palette. Trippy stuff).

You just need to input the right button combination when the GBC starts up.

Yeah, but I was saying it definitely didn't look exactly the same as a brick gameboy, and I'm not sure if even the monochrome pallette would have been exactly the same as that of a GBP(I didn't have/play one much to compare in my mind, I wanna say the GBP might have been crisper but I don't know why). With a sense as central to our lives such as sight, I think visual differences will be more 'noted' that others. Hence the GBC feels more like a successor even though using the Wii game on WiiU(or GC on Wii) comparison doesn't carry feel quite the same.

Ofc, as mentioned - there was the fact non-GBC games could be played in any of the default colour pallettes on GBC.

So wasn't there a mention in this thread or another that there is a possibility (a slim one, prob) that the New 3DS is going to be region free?

That would be sweet. Why would they region lock consoles anyway? I'm genuinely intrigued as I've never really thought about it. No answers of 'coz Nintendo are shit' please. I am curious as to the need for it.

So wasn't there a mention in this thread or another that there is a possibility (a slim one, prob) that the New 3DS is going to be region free?

That would be sweet. Why would they region lock consoles anyway? I'm genuinely intrigued as I've never really thought about it. No answers of 'coz Nintendo are shit' please. I am curious as to the need for it.

Because of price differences in different regions.

However, that rumour comes from a twitter account of someone who seems to make stuff up.

Ahh ok. It would be odd for them to remove the region lock I guess.

Price differences eh? Thanks Cube.

Ahh ok. It would be odd for them to remove the region lock I guess.

Price differences eh? Thanks Cube.

Odd but sensible, no? Am I right in thinking PS3/4, XBone360 and Vita are all region free? It's a silly an archaic practise imo, though one designed to maxmise profits from different markets, however in the current global world of connectivity it just feels silly. Older consoles(Snes, MegaDrive etc) had some reasoning in the outputting of 50hz vs 60hz but I don't think that's every an issue these days.

DS was one of their most successful consoles of all time, yet that was region free, so I dunno why they decided to go backwards.

Odd but sensible, no? Am I right in thinking PS3/4, XBone360 and Vita are all region free? It's a silly an archaic practise imo, though one designed to maxmise profits from different markets, however in the current global world of connectivity it just feels silly. Older consoles(Snes, MegaDrive etc) had some reasoning in the outputting of 50hz vs 60hz but I don't think that's every an issue these days.

DS was one of their most successful consoles of all time, yet that was region free, so I dunno why they decided to go backwards.

Yeah, Sony have been region free in terms of consoles/handhelds since the PS3/PSP, and X1 is now region free. Shame that Nintendo have to do this, but then they're often guilty of not releasing games at the same time everywhere more than many big hitter third parties these days, so they've probably got more reason to do it.

The DS being region free is the sole reason it's my favourite handheld console...so many memories!

If the gameboy hadn't been region free I don't think I'd have gotten to play possibly the best combined titles in the Zelda series - the Oracles(I'm not even sure how/when/where, but my sister picked them both up with a strategy guide(which is now missing but was awesome) when we were in Minnesota with family in 2001).

Similarly, I got Pokémon Gold while in Florida in October 2000, six months before it came to the UK, and then got Sapphire a couple of months early in Florida again in May 2003. Was quite fun as a child being able to buy a game on holiday, but that's no longer possible :(

We got GS SIX MONTHS after the USA? Jesus wept. I don't think I'd have been able to cope if I...stuff...was like....that...then. How I am now. Whut?

We got GS SIX MONTHS after the USA? Jesus wept. I don't think I'd have been able to cope if I...stuff...was like....that...then. How I am now. Whut?

Man, I remember being so excited for Pokémon GS at the time, my friends just started getting fed up and telling me to shut up if "Gold" or "Silver" came out of my mouth :heh: Since I had been waiting ever since it was released in Japan, I didn't even care about the game being released in the US before Europe (other than learning the new English names. Oh, Nyuura, you had such a cool name...)

Fun tidbit, I got the US version of Gold and then went on to later trade with some of my friends when they got their UK versions.

Doing this permanently prevented them from ever trading again, even after starting a new game.

Similarly, I got Pokémon Gold while in Florida in October 2000, six months before it came to the UK, and then got Sapphire a couple of months early in Florida again in May 2003. Was quite fun as a child being able to buy a game on holiday, but that's no longer possible :(

Oh wow. My family went on holiday to Florida in October 1999. We went to a mall on Halloween and while we were there, my brother bought Pokemon Yellow. It had only just come out in North America at the time and it wasn't going to come out in Europe for another six months. Peeps at school were so jealous.

Just to add to those that imported from America. I also managed to pick up Gold & Silver from America. I can remember being in primary school and the other kids not understanding why they couldn't get it.

Iirc my copy of blue was from Gameplay or something when they were still a advert list in the back of ONM, realised when it arrived that it was actually an american copy anyway - not sure if/how ahead of release I'd have gotten it but yeah...without region free what would have happened! Though Pokemon and a frenemy who liked the show was actually what ended up getting me into ROMs and emulation, so that's another fantastic credit to it ;)

Haha dd we all import? i remember i imported all the pokemon game and the Zelda Oracle games because even then i knew europe was getting screwed over and getting them well after the US

wish i could remember the site i used now....it probably disappeared due to ebay

Speaking of importing.... (just to make sure that it doesn't get lost in the main 3DS Thread...)

Look what Australia is getting this year...

ByRsgsiIQAAJUfX.png:large

BTW, Australian systems are completely identical to EU ones... We share the same region ;)

(Now, where to import one? Serious question. I've never imported from Australia before and I have no idea where to start!)

Edit:: OMG! LOL! I just watched the Aussie Direct and he actually goes out of his way to point out how US and EU are not getting the New3DS until next year, what a total bastard! :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

What the hell are Nintendo playing at? :blank:

Man, import sales are gonna be through the roof! :hehe:

Maybe that's the plan. They want people around the world to pay the higher Australian prices :laughing:

Good for the Aussies. My perception may be wrong here, but I always viewed them as getting kinda screwed on new gaming stuff.

About £140 for the XL months before we get it with full PAL compatibility? Yep, yep.

Perhaps the US and Europe have a plentiful supply of the current models already manufactured, while Japan and Australia don't have much left over.

Makes sense if the New models will simply replace the current models.

Edit: Just checked a few Australian sites out of curiosity, none have the regular 3DS in stock.

Edited by Cube

Perhaps the US and Europe have a plentiful supply of the current models already manufactured, while Japan and Australia don't have much left over.

Makes sense if the New models will simply replace the current models.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I bet that they're just trying to clear out the old stock in US/EU that they've stuffed the channels with, before getting the New3DS out over here.

Not that it's going to affect me anymore ;)

Edit: Just checked a few Australian sites out of curiosity, none have the regular 3DS in stock.

Apparently they stopped selling the original model 3DS some time ago last year.

Hhhhmmm... to get myself a big Xmas gift?

So where's a good Aussie site to import to here...how much is shipping likely to cost and could I get stung with an import tax?