NEurope
Serebii

Super Smash Bros. Wii U Direct (23rd October 23:00)

One thing I'm slightly worried about and maybe missed, but these BIGGER stages, do we get small versions too? If they're bigger for 8 player smash I don't really want to play them with 4 and they feel empty...

Loads of local content which is great but no eight player online is a bit disappointing.

I bet half the newly multiplayer modes won't be either. I love smash as a party game but I get to play it that way once or twice a year these days. Come on Nintendo!

Wow! :o

Seriously, how is that much content even possible? :heh: Mind blowing.

By delaying part of it till next year ;)

So in the end... I was actually kinda right Serebii :awesome:

One thing I'm slightly worried about and maybe missed, but these BIGGER stages, do we get small versions too? If they're bigger for 8 player smash I don't really want to play them with 4 and they feel empty...

8 Player Smash is a separate mode (that's why it had that sound clip that was data mined from the 3DS game), meaning that it has its own unique selection of stages, like Big Battlefield.

1080p was a nice surprise. Must rank as quite an achievement in the lowly wii u because it is bound to be 60fps as well.

Very good direct. That Ridley compromise was delicious and the Mewtwo reveal only served to blow it out through the roof.

Gotta get me a LAN adapter.

I wonder if the good reception to DLC for Hyrule Warriors has been the reason for the inclusion of Mewtwo?

If so we could see all the past characters return:

Ice Climbers

Lucas

Pichu

Roy

Wolf

Young Link

Obviously Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be possible with Ivysaur and Squirtle due to Charizard being a stand alone.

However it could mean the return of Snake from Metal Gear should Nintendo pursue that option.

And just to throw it right out there: Nintendo + Square Enix + Sakurai = Cloud Final Fantasy VII...lol i'm kidding no chance but it would be more mind blowing than that announcement we just had about DLC Characters.

Good god man :p Accept that you were wrong :p

8 Player Smash is a separate mode (that's why it had that sound clip that was data mined from the 3DS game), meaning that it has its own unique selection of stages, like Big Battlefield.

But it mentioned bigger versions of other levels too, do we get the normal versions?

1080p was a nice surprise. Must rank as quite an achievement in the lowly wii u because it is bound to be 60fps as well.

It shouldn't be a surprise. They said it was 1080p all the way back when it was first announced last year ::shrug:

The Wii U isn't quite as "lowly" as you think obviously ;)

But it mentioned bigger versions of other levels too, do we get the normal versions?

Yeah of course. They already mentioned Temple as an example of one of the larger stages and the version they show is the normal sized one :)

Expect New Pork City to make a return as well.

EXCELLENT direct, loved the movie for Bowser Junior so much! All new modes look crazy fun! I'm still not convinced about amiibo's though.

I'm glad it was only Mewtwo as an incentive to own both versions. I can easily live without Pokemon but the way it was said makes it sound like it's available for purchase separately as well. It's a given.

It shouldn't be a surprise. They said it was 1080p all the way back when it was first announced last year ::shrug:

The Wii U isn't quite as "lowly" as you think obviously ;)

Did they? I guess I expected it only in a few modes at the time. I don't think I really had faith in 60fps until I saw what they did on the 3ds version.

3D world and Mario kart made me just assume 720p/60fps was the wii u sweet spot.

Edit: looking forward to the digital foundry report on this. :)

I'm still not convinced about amiibo's though.

Yeh.. I'm not really seeing the necessity or appeal, at this point :hmm:

Did they? I guess I expected it only in a few modes at the time. I don't think I really had faith in 60fps until I saw what they did on the 3ds version.

3D world and Mario kart made me just assume 720p/60fps was the wii u sweet spot.

Edit: looking forward to the digital foundry report on this. :)

To be fair, SM3DW and MK8 are much better looking games than Smash, but it's still really impressive to pull it off with 8 fighters onscreen at the same time! :D

Oh man, can't wait to try a 7 vs 1 match! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed

I wonder if the good reception to DLC for Hyrule Warriors has been the reason for the inclusion of Mewtwo?

If so we could see all the past characters return:

Ice Climbers

Lucas

Pichu

Roy

Wolf

Young Link

Obviously Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be possible with Ivysaur and Squirtle due to Charizard being a stand alone.

However it could mean the return of Snake from Metal Gear should Nintendo pursue that option.

And just to throw it right out there: Nintendo + Square Enix + Sakurai = Cloud Final Fantasy VII...lol i'm kidding no chance but it would be more mind blowing than that announcement we just had about DLC Characters.

Ice Climbers, Roy and Young Link, yes please and Lucas I guess. The other 2, no thanks.

Snake can go f### himself. Square Enix can go f### themselves. What have they done for Nintendo home consoles? We haven't seen Final Fantasy(main series) since the SNES.

Yeh.. I'm not really seeing the necessity or appeal, at this point :hmm:

There is no appeal unless you like collectables and it appears there's no necessity which is a good thing.

p9EXT9G.png

Oh my goodness.

(If Ridley turns up during Samus' Palutena's Guidance I might actually die of laughter.)

Ice Climbers, Roy and Young Link, yes please and Lucas I guess. The other 2, no thanks.

Snake can go f### himself. Square Enix can go f### themselves. What have they done for Nintendo home consoles? We haven't seen Final Fantasy(main series) since the SNES.

Yeh I cant really see much in regards to Pichu as he was a clone of Pikachu technically. Same applies to Wolf...still I wouldn't mind him back.

What's wrong with Snake...he wasn't that bad was he? Hideo Kojima "practically begged" for Snake to be in Brawl...guess he's a love / hate character..lol

Actually I sympathize with you there about Square Enix. It has been along time since any title from Final Fantasy in the main series made its way to a Nintendo console. Last one was the re-make of FFIV for DS.

"I retract my Square Enix statement".....

Anyone up for Issac from Camelot's Golden Sun then..lol :yay:

ALSO:

Hmmm...something that has not been addressed for 8 player Smash.

The Wii U is capable of having two Gampads being used, which from previous tech conferences it has been stated cuts 60fps to 30fps. So...exactly how many variants of what controller can be connected and used at a time?

I'm guessing that it would be 4 items connected by wireless and another 4 by the Gamecube controller adapter for 8 player maybe?

Edited by Spiritgold

Yeh I cant really see much in regards to Pichu as he was a clone of Pikachu technically. Same applies to Wolf...still I wouldn't mind him back.

What's wrong with Snake...he wasn't that bad was he? Hideo Kojima "practically begged" for Snake to be in Brawl...guess he's a love / hate character..lol

Actually I sympathize with you there about Square Enix. It has been along time since any title from Final Fantasy in the main series made its way to a Nintendo console. Last one was the re-make of FFIV for DS.

"I retract my Square Enix statement".....

Anyone up for Issac from Camelot's Golden Sun then..lol :yay:

ALSO:

Hmmm...something that has not been addressed for 8 player Smash.

The Wii U is capable of having two Gampads being used, which from previous tech conferences it has been stated cuts 60fps to 30fps. So...exactly how many variants of what controller can be connected and used at a time?

I'm guessing that it would be 4 items connected by wireless and another 4 by the Gamecube controller adapter for 8 player maybe?

It's any combination of controllers up to 8 players. So up to 4 GCN controllers, up to 8 3DS consoles, up to 4 Wiimotes/Nunchucks/Classic Controllers/Classic Controller Pros/Wii U Pro Controllers and the Gamepad. Any mix of those will work :)

These are the limits:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/240137-smash-bros-wii-u-various-controller-player-limits

Edit: image works?

So, one game pad but up to seven pro controllers and wiimotes. Not sure how that is even possible!

Wait WHAT!? You can use TWO GCN controller adapters for 8 GCN controllers!? And 7 Bluetooth controllers (Wiimote/Wii U Pro Controller) at once!? WOW! :o

So Wii U technically supports a maximum of 33 players locally!? (8 GCN controllers, 7 Bluetooth controllers, 2 Gamepads, 16 3DS consoles - that's the maximum that the DS/3DS can do at once). Man I REALLY want a Wii U Bomberman game now :(

Edited by Dcubed

Great direct. Really disappointed in Smash Tour or whatever it was called. I love Smash Run and would have enjoyed a single player platformer type game in the Wii U version, oh well :(

Good god man :p Accept that you were wrong :p

This. it would be the classy, grown up thing to do!

This. it would be the classy, grown up thing to do!

I might be classy, but I'm not grown up :p

Besides, I'm still technically right since a big chunk of the game was actually delayed till next year ;)

I did say some time back that it would either be delayed or released unfinished...

I might be classy, but I'm not grown up :p

Besides, I'm still technically right since a big chunk of the game was actually delayed till next year ;)

Lose with grace, accept defeat with class. A big chunk = 3% of the game? ;)

Wow, for a game we thought we knew pretty much everything about, there was a heck of a lot of new & exciting information!