NEurope
nekunando

Your 2015 Gaming Diary

I noticed that my hat went missing after finishing a stage. I figured some thieving gypsy of an enemy had nicked it, just like that cheeky monkey on SM64. After a few stages it reappeared. Later on it then disappeared again. It then dawned on me that you lose it once you hit 99 lives and revert back to normal when you lose a life. Idiot! :D

Hmm.. my brother actually called me the other week to ask me how to get past a level on New Super Mario Bros 2. I obviously hadn't a clue what level he was talking about specifically so I fired the game up so I could help him over the phone :heh: I also didn't have a hat and couldn't really figure it out :grin:

Anyway, this morning I just felt like having some fun to unwind from a week where I haven't been feeling well and E3 managed to provide a massive downer :indeed:

With that in mind, Excite Truck was slipped into the Wii :hehe:

ExciteTruck1.jpg

It was instantly a joy to play and I raced around a few tracks to unlock the last couple of paint jobs. After that was done, I just had some fun with the Crazy Monster Truck :grin: The only things left to get in the game are the trophies for reaching certain amounts of things such as Super Air Time and Truck Smashes. That should be a decent enough reason to put it on every now and again :yay:

Also, despite being in the middle of Majora's Mask 3D, I played the first hour of Twilight Princess on Wii this afternoon :eek:

I've been wanting to play through it again for while, particularly due to the fact that my original save file was completed way back in 2008, but I'd probably be better carrying on with Majora's Mask 3D while I at least know what's happening in it :heh:

Finished Starfox Assault ( GameCube ) as seen in the Starfox Zero thread. My thoughts are in there. I had a blast playing it!

Finished Starfox Assault ( GameCube ) as seen in the Starfox Zero thread. My thoughts are in there. I had a blast playing it!

I hope I get the same enjoyment out of it when I hopefully tackle it at the weekend :hehe:

Did you play through Story mode as normal or did you play thought it all in one sitting through Survival? I've actually never attempted the latter as I always felt it might be too long to play in one go but I may give it a go this time : peace:

The only times I played it since I first beat it all those years ago have been to try to get some decent scores on a few levels to try to unlock Xevious.. only to realise that I kinda suck at the game and don't think I have any hope of that ever happening :indeed:

I hope I get the same enjoyment out of it when I hopefully tackle it at the weekend :hehe:

Did you play through Story mode as normal or did you play thought it all in one sitting through Survival? I've actually never attempted the latter as I always felt it might be too long to play in one go but I may give it a go this time : peace:

The only times I played it since I first beat it all those years ago have been to try to get some decent scores on a few levels to try to unlock Xevious.. only to realise that I kinda suck at the game and don't think I have any hope of that ever happening :indeed:

I played it through Story Mode but I done it in one sitting anyway. :D

I'm free, I can enjoy the sun on evenings now and not lock myself in a room with my PS4.

CH0BI4NWwAAZMQW.jpg

FREEDOM!

Enjoyed it alot. As time goes on I find it harder to settle down with a large game and get the time and dedication to complete it. I normally only tend to play and finish games with shorter campaigns now, but took the gamble on Witcher and couldn't put it down. Loved it despite initially not appreciating the graphics of it as much as others.

Got plenty more to do I guess despite finishing the main questline. I don't like despite the open world being so big, now the story is finished you feel so alone not having Zoltan or Dandelion in the pub, not being able to see Yen in Kaer Mohren.

Thinking I can finally buy Splatoon now with Junes payslip, although Yoshi is pretty high on the do want scale.

Completed:

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Thief (PS4)

Valiant Hearts (PS4)

Abe's Oddysee: New N Tasty (PS4)

Far Cry 4 (PS4)

The Walking Dead Season 1 & 400 Days DLC (PS4)

Never Alone (PS4)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4)

The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4)

The Witcher: Wild Hunt (PS4)

Final Fantasy X HD ( PS4 & Vita ) complete!

Brilliant game and still one of my favourite FF games. Fantastic cast of characters, amazing story and outstanding soundtracks make for a very memorable game. As for the ending....I'm still wiping away my man tears. Gets me everytime. :(

The last boss was a pushover. I used the AP trick and powered up Yuna, Wakka and Tidus to the point where I was killing the various boss forms in a few hits.

I'm not sure whether to go for the platinum. I've done a lot of the leg work ( nearly got 10 of each monster, got all weapons except Wakkas, got the Jecht spheres, done the chocobo stuff and lightning dodges ) all that's really left is to fully level up the sphere grid, which in turn will allow me to nab the final trophies.

Having only played ME3 I'm desperate to play the trilogy from the beginning. I was holding out hopes of a remastered trilogy on new gen consoles but those EA gits have quashed that dream. Looks like I'll have to either give them a go on PC (not keen on mouse/keyboard set up though) or wait until all three are backwards compatible on Xbox One. Which could take ages.

In the mean time I'd like to get a PS4 and get started on the Uncharted Collection but I kind of thing it'd be best to wait until after I play ME trilogy because of the gulf in visuals between that and Uncharted Collection on PS4.

I would sell my gaming PC to fund a PS4/XB1 but can't figure out when to sell it and where to play ME, and then which console to get first.

Having played the first 2 stages on Friday night, I played through the rest of Starfox Assault yesterday :hehe:

title.jpg

I've revisited the odd level here and there at times over the years but I've never been through the entire game from start to finish since my original playthrough all those years ago.. and I didn't remember most of it :heh:

That was actually a good thing as I found myself having quite a fresh Starfox experience with a nice variety of missions. It was fun to play something other than Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 3D for the millionth time :grin:

For me, it's definitely nowhere near as good as the N64 classic but it was still relatively fun :smile:

I can actually see myself going through it again soon to help familiarise myself more with the levels but I may return to Adventures first : peace:

Im starting to have too many games I want to play at the same time again.

Star Wars: Old Republic - The trailer for the new expansion put me in the mood to play the game again.

Hitman Absolution - The new Hitman game made me want to go back and try Absolution again, even if I do just end up using a trainer and messing about in that world.

Steins Gate - Still playing that on my Vita

Elder Scrolls Online - Still dropping into that on the PS4

Tales from the Borderlands - Never did finish the first episode but I absolutely wanted to get back to it.

Homeworld Remastered - Been looking forward to finally trying these out.

Shenmue - Been playing this again as obviously the announcement of 3 got me excited. Just having a bit of trouble with my Dreamcasts connection to the tv at the moment.

Batman: Arkham Knight - When this arrives of course its pretty much going to push all my other games to the side.

Destiny

I finally after hundreds of hours got the platinum trophy! Im not a trophy hunter as I dont really have the stomach nor the attention span for all the grinding/boring quests you have to do to get platinum but I managed to do it with this!

Probably the only platinum i'll get aswell but i'm happy I managed to get one :D

Destiny

I finally after hundreds of hours got the platinum trophy! Im not a trophy hunter as I dont really have the stomach nor the attention span for all the grinding/boring quests you have to do to get platinum but I managed to do it with this!

Probably the only platinum i'll get aswell but i'm happy I managed to get one :D

Congrats, dude! I know you've been plugging away at it for a while. Enjoy your platinum trophy. You've earned it!

Having played the first 2 stages on Friday night, I played through the rest of Starfox Assault yesterday :hehe:

I've revisited the odd level here and there at times over the years but I've never been through the entire game from start to finish since my original playthrough all those years ago.. and I didn't remember most of it :heh:

That was actually a good thing as I found myself having quite a fresh Starfox experience with a nice variety of missions. It was fun to play something other than Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 3D for the millionth time :grin:

For me, it's definitely nowhere near as good as the N64 classic but it was still relatively fun :smile:

I can actually see myself going through it again soon to help familiarise myself more with the levels but I may return to Adventures first : peace:

Good to see you played through it. It's quite a solid game and no where near as bad as some make it out to be. I probably prefer it to 64 due to the variety of the missions.

I started P.N.03 this morning.. and I finished it tonight :heh:

cceventpn03.jpg

It's a game I'm almost surprised to still own as it has been on the brink of being sold or traded in for years as I didn't seem to have much interest in ever playing it. Strangely, when I was inserting Starfox Assault back onto the shelf yesterday, it caught my eye so I decided to finally give it my attention :smile:

The receipt was still inside the box! The print may have almost completely disappeared but I can just about make out that it was purchased in July 2015 for £7.99 :grin: I started from the beginning and it took me a little over 2 hours to make my way through it.. so that shows you just how much it has been played in the last decade :indeed:

Admittedly, it wasn't great.. but at least I know that for sure, now :heh:

The print may have almost completely disappeared but I can just about make out that it was purchased in July 2015 for £7.99 :grin:

Christopher_Lloyd_-Great_Scott-_animation.gif

Christopher_Lloyd_-Great_Scott-_animation.gif

Yeh.. I picked it up from GAME on my hoverboard :heh:

I, of course, meant July 2005 :grin:

My full gaming diary for the next 18 months:

Wii U

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush

Watch_Dogs

Rayman Legends

Assassin's Creed 3

Trine: Enchanted Edition

----

Yoshi's Wooly World

Super Mario Maker

Star Fox Zero

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival

3DS

Ultimate NES Remix

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

----

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

PS4

Journey

Resogun

Transistor

Little Big Planet 3

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'n' Tasty

----

Tearaway Unfolded

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

The Tomorrow Children

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

No Man's Sky

Rime

The Witness

Firewatch

The Last Guardian

XBOX ONE

Sunset Overdrive

Ori and the Blind Forest

----

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Ion

ReCore

Tacoma

Inside

Cuphead

MULTIPLATFORM

Mass Effect Trilogy

Velocity 2X

Never Alone

----

Mighty No 9

Adr1ft

Star Wars Battlefront

TrackMania Turbo

Mega Man Legacy Collection

Beyond Eyes

Source

Unravel

Mass Effect: Andromeda

PC

Lumino City

The Marvellous Miss Take

Broken Age

Gone Home

----

Mushroom 11

Darkest Dungeon

After reaching the 35% mark earlier in the year, according to my save file, I dipped my toe back into Starfox Adventures this morning :smile:

I didn't get an awful lot of time with it today but I'll hopefully carry on with it over the next week or two to see if I can see it through to the end. Admittedly, I'm not really enjoying the combat :heh:

After reaching the 35% mark earlier in the year, according to my save file, I dipped my toe back into Starfox Adventures this morning :smile:

I didn't get an awful lot of time with it today but I'll hopefully carry on with it over the next week or two to see if I can see it through to the end. Admittedly, I'm not really enjoying the combat :heh:

That's because its garbage. :D

I reached 30% over the weekend but haven't been back on since. Knowing you are also playing it will give me the push I need to keep going. :)

A bit late to the party, but I finished Infamous: Second Son and the DLC First Light. I really enjoyed both of them, getting all those different powers and finding out which one works best for you (I liked using invisibility for the Video power most haha).

The characters in this game are great and are portrayed very well, the animation on them is great too and it just works. The game has a good sense of humour too, gave me a few chuckles. And made me feel sad at the ending (both the main game and the DLC).

The graphics look great and the environment is just fun to roam through, especially with the faster powers. It was also great to discover that they actually put real life Seattle stores in the game too, made it seem that more real.

Played through it on Good Karma, not sure I will ever get around to going the Evil route. Though I did pick up a few Evil trophies after finishing the game, just because my Karma level didn't matter then anyway. Plus it was kinda fun beating up street musicians and activists. :P

Games played/finished in 2015

Bayonetta

Hyrule Warriors

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

Valiant Hearts

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Velocity 2X

Rogue Legacy

Cities:Skylines

Bayonetta 2

Never Alone

Fez

Guacamelee

The Unfinished Swan

Super Exploding Zoo

Infamous: Second Son

Infamous: First Light

Having only played ME3 I'm desperate to play the trilogy from the beginning. I was holding out hopes of a remastered trilogy on new gen consoles but those EA gits have quashed that dream. Looks like I'll have to either give them a go on PC (not keen on mouse/keyboard set up though) or wait until all three are backwards compatible on Xbox One. Which could take ages.

In the mean time I'd like to get a PS4 and get started on the Uncharted Collection but I kind of thing it'd be best to wait until after I play ME trilogy because of the gulf in visuals between that and Uncharted Collection on PS4.

I would sell my gaming PC to fund a PS4/XB1 but can't figure out when to sell it and where to play ME, and then which console to get first.

You could maybe buy a cheap PS3/360 on eBay and download the Mass Effect trilogy. The games are often just a few pound each on the PSstore, and there might be a a few other games you'd want to pick up. Journey/Unfinished Swan/Brothers/Flower... and all are cross-buy (or most likely will be)with the PS4 versions.

I wouldn't go expecting Uncharted 4 levels of visuals from the Uncharted Trilogy remastering, so you could even pick up the original trilogy on there as well as they still look fantastic. Although the gameplay improvements the name to the games might be more significant.

I managed to get in an hour and a half on South Park: the stick of truth last night. Meant to try and finish off WW, but I couldn't face trying to learn the control scheme again, so I thought I'd try something new.

Really enjoying it so far. It's been a while since I played a proper rpg (Borderlands doesn't count really). Probably have another go on it tonight as well if I have time.

A week ago, I finished quite a special little game...

EarthBoundZeroBoxArt2.png

Maybe you've heard of it?

(Box art not real)

Of course, the official name is now Earthbound Beginnings. It was a pretty big deal when this was revealed just before the Nintendo World Championships.

Naturally, I snapped it up ASAP. Mainly because I played a ROM of it ages ago, and I promised myself I would buy any of the three games in this series if they got released in Europe, no questions asked.

But does it live up to my expectations or is it doomed to be forever in the other 2 games shadow?

The first thing that really hits you is just how amazing the soundtrack is.

When a game makes me stay on a title screen because of the music, then you know you're in for some ridiculously good music.

(Of course, it is a NES game, so don't go expecting choirs)

So for those of you who is finding the form of this game inexplicable...

Earthbound Beginnings is the first game in the Earthbound/Mother series, you know, the series where Ness and Lucas come from. But they're not in this game. The game features a boy called Ninten, who upon getting woken up by strange noises, gets attacked by his lamp.

After dealing with possessed lamps and dolls, he finds a music box which plays a few notes.

Naturally, this means Ninten has to go find the other 7 of these "Melodies" and solve the mystery of what happened to the aforementioned George and Maria. (It's on that fanmade box art I posted, don't you even read?)

Earthbound Beginnings is very much a typical old-school RPG. Heavily influenced by the early Dragon Quest games. But instead of it being a fantasy middle-ages kind of affair, you're in a modern day (Well, modern for 1989) America. Fighting Hippies and Crows and 18-wheeler trucks armed with Bats, frying pans and bottle rockets!

It's quite novel, even by today's standards and it definitely helps to differentiate Earthbound from the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

But, just like old-school FF and DQ, Earthbound Beginnings does suffer from some of the trappings of the era. There's more than a few moments when you have to wonder, "How the hell is anyone supposed to find that?"

One completely extreme example was finding the 5th melody...

yuccadesert.png

OK, see that desert area? Now there's one cactus out of all those that looks slightly different to all the other cacti. That's where the 5th melody is.

There are hints for that, but they're very subtle. It's quite easy to miss a melody and have to retrace your steps.

Fair warning: The second and seventh melody are both pretty meanly hidden as well.

The game also suffers from some massive difficulty spikes, especially near the end of the game. You'll probably have to grind now and again.

One thing that really does stand out in Earthbound Beginnings is just how much it influenced the original Pokemon games. You can totally tell that some of the people who made this went to work on Pokemon Red/Blue.

Modern day setting, Kid goes off on a journey by himself without much explanation, a certain enemy looking awfully familiar to a certain Pokemon and such.

Incidentally, I had no idea that @Serebii had an account on the Starmen forums (Site about the Mother/Earthbound series). Fancy explaining that, considering that you've outright said you don't enjoy Earthbound on the SNES?

Anyway, wrapping this up, Earthbound Beginnings was a game that was quite ahead of it's time, but that time was 1989. So it would be foolish to say that it can feel a bit dated at times.

But look past that and you'll find a charming little RPG that has a surprisingly heartfelt story and leaves you with a glowing feeling of accomplishment.

Is it better than Earthbound and the still-to-be-released Mother 3? No. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a great game.

In fact, it's probably my favourite NES game ever.

If you even like RPG's just a little bit, you need to give this a go. Use a guide if you must, but seriously, play this game. It deserves to be played.

(Although I would recommend Earthbound on the SNES first, as it's more balanced and fair and it doesn't ruin the story of the first game)

EDIT: Woops, forgot to post the list!

Lufia: The Legend Returns - GBC

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - WiiU (Not 100%)

Demon's Crest - SNES (Not 100%)

The World Ends With You - DS

Gunman Clive - 3DS

Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS

Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe - 3DS

Banjo-Tooie - N64

Metroid Zero Mission - GBA (Not 100%)

Child of Light - Wii U (Single Character challenge)

Super Smash Bros - 3DS (Everything, baby!)

Super Mario World - SNES

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 3DS (Credits seen)

Super Mario 64 - N64 (120 stars)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 3DS

Final Fantasy 8 - PS1

Tengami - WiiU

Earthbound Beginnings - NES

Edited by Glen-i

You could maybe buy a cheap PS3/360 on eBay and download the Mass Effect trilogy. The games are often just a few pound each on the PSstore, and there might be a a few other games you'd want to pick up. Journey/Unfinished Swan/Brothers/Flower... and all are cross-buy (or most likely will be)with the PS4 versions.

Yeah could do that, thanks but I think I'm happy to wait for the backwards compatibility on XBO. Or I could play it on PC, but the thought of using a mouse and keyboard is pretty off-putting. It sadly doesn't have controller support :( Then again it would be in 1080p with improved visuals, hmmmm..

I wouldn't go expecting Uncharted 4 levels of visuals from the Uncharted Trilogy remastering, so you could even pick up the original trilogy on there as well as they still look fantastic. Although the gameplay improvements the name to the games might be more significant.

Nah not expecting much from the remastered games, I'm planning on getting a PS4 anyway for 4 so may as well play them all on there. Thanks though

Starfox Adventures has went from 37% to 45% today :smile:

I'll probably finish it but I have that little nagging voice in the back of my mind that's telling me I should probably have never played it again. I had great memories of it from when it first came out but going through the entire adventure again may tarnish a lot of those warm feelings :hmm:

As I mentioned before, the combat is poor.. but so are the flying sections :shakehead

It's not a terrible game, not by a long way, but I'm definitely more aware of its shortcomings now than I've ever been before. What's probably worse is that I remember a thread, that I've just hunted down, where I placed it in my Top 10 Gamecube Games ahead of Wind Waker :blank:

It's hard to put everything in order.. but I'll try..

1. Resident Evil 4

2. F-Zero GX

3. Metroid Prime

4. Wave Race: Blue Storm

5. 1080 Avalance

6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

8. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

9. Killer 7

10. Starfox Adventures (formerly: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)

Wind Waker is a lot lower on that list than I expected (and I almost considered putting Starfox Adventures in it's place ..in fact, I will (controversial, I know ) ..don't hurt me, I just haven't played Wind Waker really since I finished it.. and I really did enjoy both.. and, oh yeh, It's my list

Searching for that thread, though, I noticed another one from 2011 where my list was significantly altered :heh:

1 F-Zero GX

2 Resident Evil 4

3 Metroid Prime

4 Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

5 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

6 Wave Race: Blue Storm

7 Killer 7

8 Eternal Darkness

9 The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

10 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I haven't concerned myself too much with the specific order of things but I do know I've made a few changes from last time and that I've had to leave out games such as 1080: Avalanche, Luigi's Mansion, Ikaruga, Mario Kart: Double Dash and Starfox Adventures..

1080: Avalanche > SSX 3

It's interesting to see how things change over the years and how difficult it actually is to put games into any sort of order. In fact, if I did another list today without referencing either of those I posted, I'm sure it would all be different again :grin:

Starfox Adventures has went from 37% to 45% today :smile:

I'll probably finish it but I have that little nagging voice in the back of my mind that's telling me I should probably have never played it again. I had great memories of it from when it first came out but going through the entire adventure again may tarnish a lot of those warm feelings :hmm:

As I mentioned before, the combat is poor.. but so are the flying sections :shakehead

It's not a terrible game, not by a long way, but I'm definitely more aware of its shortcomings now than I've ever been before.

Yup. It's certainly how i'm feeling. I thought very highly of it back in the day but now I find the whole thing very boring.

I remember finding some of the puzzles in Starfox Adventures to be more clever than what Zelda has to offer.