NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

After reading the sales results for this week in Japan, I have to ask if it's fair to bring NX as a handheld next year? Just this week over 100k of sales in Japan, so are people expected to buy it again in 12 months?

After reading the sales results for this week in Japan, I have to ask if it's fair to bring NX as a handheld next year? Just this week over 100k of sales in Japan, so are people expected to buy it again in 12 months?

People won't care. The 3DS has been out for a long time, people will be happy to buy a new handheld.

Plus its not like the 3DS suddenly becomes obsolete. People will play it and I can still see software being released for it in japan for a good while.

People won't care. The 3DS has been out for a long time, people will be happy to buy a new handheld.

Plus its not like the 3DS suddenly becomes obsolete. People will play it and I can still see software being released for it in japan for a good while.

Probably, but I am sure that there are a lot of people who bought New 3DS but own 3DS.

Of course, so long it's supported it doesn't really matter, but I can imagine a few exclusives for the NX.

The 3DS will probably die fairly quickly in the West but it'll live alongside the NX for a while in Japan, in the same way the PS360 still sell pretty well in the West despite their successors being out.

The 3DS will probably die fairly quickly in the West but it'll live alongside the NX for a while in Japan, in the same way the PS360 still sell pretty well in the West despite their successors being out.

I reckon that a lot of it will depend on what happens with Pokemon. Will we see a repeat of Black & White and get to see Gen 7 on 3DS/New3DS? Or will we just get Pokemon Z and that's it as Game Freak move onto the NX?

It's a tricky situation because it's been a while since X/Y came out, meaning that they're probably a ways into development of Gen 7 already, but it can't come out early in the life of the NX because Pokemon needs a sizable userbase to already be in place before it releases and that's obviously not gonna happen with NX for at least a year and a few months after launch...

Edited by Dcubed

I reckon that a lot of it will depend on what happens with Pokemon. Will we see a repeat of Black & White and get to see Gen 7 on 3DS/New3DS? Or will we just get Pokemon Z and that's it as Game Freak move onto the NX?

It's a tricky situation because it's been a while since X/Y came out, meaning that they're probably a ways into development of Gen 7 already, but it can't come out early in the life of the NX because Pokemon needs a sizable userbase to already be in place before it releases and that's obviously not gonna happen with NX for at least a year and a few months after launch...

Stick it on the NX and we will finally have a Pokemon game on a console AND a handheld. :D

Yeah, I think Pokemon is the perfect game for a hybrid!! Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon are perfect for it! One at launch, one six months in, one a year later! Imagine the sales!!

Yeah, I think Pokemon is the perfect game for a hybrid!! Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon are perfect for it! One at launch, one six months in, one a year later! Imagine the sales!!

I don't know why, and it doesn't really have anything to do with your post, but I imagined some sort of Zelda Monster Hunter game being a launch release for NX. More actiony, no carving but chest/drops instead, with all normal baddies from the series and EVERY boss as giant monsters (giga size, too), with Hyrule Town as your base, with huge open world areas to roam...and multiplayer co-op!

With Nintendo's increased developement teams for NX, we should hopefully get at least one of every IP. There's still gaps, though. I think NX needs some FPS's if it's to attract other audiences.

And a more serious racer. F-Zero could be marketted as a more serious racer, give it parts buying/customization, even design your own player. The usual single/multi play modes. Some sort of story campaign mode, too. Obviously keep all the characters, maybe even add Starfox characters and have them fully officially in the same universe, maybe even a stage set on Corneria.

Maybe even an FPS set in the Starfox universe? Not a Starfox game, but totally new characters. Something with a Halo/Star Wars theme.

I think if Nintendo did an FPS we'd see something with adventure and rpg elements and treasure, some sort of family friendly Borderlands type game,

I don't know why, and it doesn't really have anything to do with your post, but I imagined some sort of Zelda Monster Hunter game being a launch release for NX. More actiony, no carving but chest/drops instead, with all normal baddies from the series and EVERY boss as giant monsters (giga size, too), with Hyrule Town as your base, with huge open world areas to roam...and multiplayer co-op!

No! Not until we get Pocket Monster Hunter first.

I don't care if it will never happen! I want to fight a Zekrom with a tiny little Sword & Shield and 3 other peeps!

No! Not until we get Pocket Monster Hunter first.

I don't care if it will never happen! I want to fight a Zekrom with a tiny little Sword & Shield and 3 other peeps!

Epic.

We need to see more hybrid games from Nintendo.

Interesting article about a new patent Nintendo has filed, from Nintendo Life.

The main feature of the patent is a Supplemental Computing Device (above), which can be combined with a dedicated gaming console. By utilising the cloud and its own internal resources, a game console could use its own device and the power of others through the cloud to boost performance - imagine a console with a set amount of capability, which is then boosted and enhanced by a supplemental device in the house, and potentially further with cloud resources from other people's devices.

It seems like the Nintendo Account rewards will be in some way linked to the cloud computing aspect of the machine, so that if you offer up your systems processing power to be used by others then you can earn rewards, as evidenced by this part of the patent.

In some instances, a user may be compensated based on an amount (e.g., time, raw resources, etc.) that the user shares his or her supplemental computing device or indicates that he or she is willing to share the supplemental computing device. This compensation may comprise any form of value, include access (e.g., time) to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network, or the like.

All sounds really intriguing and ties into what we've all been thinking about so far, that there will be a handheld and home console variant of the NX. This patent seems to suggest that the handheld will be a 'supplemental computing device' so that when you return home, you can connect the handheld to the home console and supplement the processing power of the home console with the power of the handheld.

It's a strange concept, it seems like a marketing nightmare to me though, I'd have no idea how to do that, but i'm interested to see how Nintendo go about marketing it. I'm sure they'll have better ideas than me for how to do that anyway!

Edited by killthenet

Title: Game Apparatus and Information Processing Apparatus

Publication Date: 12/10/2015

Filing Date: 06/09/2015

Abstract

A non-limiting example information processing apparatus comprises a housing, and a first portion of the housing is formed in an elliptical form when viewing from the front. A display panel and a touch panel constitute one main surface of the first portion. Holes are formed in left and right end portions of the display panel and the touch panel, and two operation sticks are provided through the two holes. When viewing the first portion from the front, an area except key tops of the operation sticks becomes a display area.

FIG 1

With reference to FIG. 1, a non-limiting example information processing apparatus 10 includes a housing 12, and a display panel 14 constitutes one main surface (front surface) of the housing 12. As the display panel 14, an LCD, EL, etc. can be used, for example. Furthermore, as the display panel 14, it is possible to use a display panel allowing stereoscopic view with naked eyes. In such a case, an LCD of a parallax barrier system or an LCD of a lenticular system using a sheet with unevenness (lenticular lens) is used, for example.

Furthermore, since the display panel 14 is made into an oblong form as mentioned above, it is possible to make an aspect ratio thereof comparable to a ratio (16:9) of a wide screen.

Although not shown in FIG. 1(A) and FIG. 1(B), a touch panel 16 is provided on the front surface of the display panel 14, and the touch panel 16 is set the same form (size) as the display panel 14 in this embodiment. That is, the touch panel 16 is also an oblong form, and an elliptical form that a part of a long side of a lower end is made into a form of a straight line. Therefore, it is possible to perform a touch input in almost a whole of a display area of the display panel 14. However, the touch panel 16 may be an elliptical form as similar to the form of the front surface of the first portion 12a. Furthermore, as the touch panel 16, a touch panel of an electrostatic capacitance system or a resistance film system can be used.

Furthermore, the information processing apparatus 10 comprises a first operation stick 18a, a second operation stick 18b, a first operation button 20a and a second operation button 20b. The first operation stick 18a is provided in a position operable by the thumb of the left hand when the player holds the information processing apparatus 10 with one hand or both hands, and similarly, the second operation stick 18b is provided in a position operable by the thumb of the right hand. Furthermore, the first operation button 20a is provided in a position operable by the index finger of the left hand when the player holds the information processing apparatus 10 with both hands, and similarly, the second operation button 20b is provided in a position operable by the index finger of the right hand. In this embodiment, the first operation button 20a and the second operation button 20b are provided on a side surface of the first portion 12a. More specifically, the first operation button 20a is provided in a left end portion of an upper surface of the housing 12, and the second operation button 20b is provided in a right end portion of the upper surface of the housing 12.

Furthermore, a card slot 40 is provided in a center portion of the upper surface of the housing 12. The card slot 40 can be attached with various kinds of card storage media such as a game cartridge, an SD card, a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, etc. Therefore, the information processing apparatus 10 reads (acquires) a program and data from the card storage medium that is attached to the card slot 40, or writes a program and data into a card storage medium. It should be noted that the program is a program for an application such as a game, and the data is data used for processing of the application. Furthermore, in some cases, a personal authentication may be performed.

In addition, although omitted in FIG. 1(A) and FIG. 1(B), the information processing apparatus 10 comprises a speaker 64 (see FIG. 19), and the speaker 64 is provided inside the housing 12, for example. However, a hole for outputting a sound from the speaker 64 to outside the housing 12 is provided in a portion other than the display area of the display panel 14, i.e., a side surface or the rear surface of the housing 12.

fig1_abxrsuj.png

FIG. 9

FIG. 9(A) and FIG. 9(B) show an example of a case where a virtual game space (game screen 100) is displayed on the display panel 14 of the information processing apparatus 10 and the player plays a game. The game screen 100 is an image that the virtual game space in which a predetermined object is provided is imaged by a virtual camera. Specifically, a predetermined character or predetermined object such as a background, a person etc. is provided (rendered) in a three-dimensional space such as the virtual game space, and a two-dimensional image that is viewed from the virtual camera (viewpoint) is generated. That is, an image of the three-dimensional space viewed from the viewpoint is projected on a two-dimensional virtual screen by viewpoint conversion processing such as perspective projection transformation, and a projected two-dimensional image is displayed as the game screen 100.

fig9_abzhu0c.png

FIG. 10

FIG. 10 shows a further example of the game screen 100. In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 10, a button image 110 is displayed near the second operation stick 18b. If the button image 110 is touched, for example, according to this, an instruction that is set to the button image 110 is input. Therefore, by assigning to the button image 110 an instruction different from an instruction that is input when depressing the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to input more variegated instructions. Furthermore, if the button image 110 is displayed supplementally (or additionally or supportively) to the second operation stick 18b in a range near the second operation stick 18b and the thumb on the right hand of the player reaches, it is possible to use the second operation stick 18b and the button image 110 as such a push button of the common game controller.

In addition, a position that displays the button image 110 may be set arbitrarily by the player. For example, if the button image 110 is displayed in a range near the first operation stick 18a and the left thumb reaches, it is also possible to make it button arrangement that is easy to operate for the player of a left-handed player who operates a push button with the left thumb. Furthermore, the button image 110 may be displayed outside the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b, whereby the center part of the game screen 100 can be made conspicuous.

Furthermore, the button image 110 should just be displayed at a proper timing such as a case of being required for operation of a game, and does not need to be displayed always.

fig1056s74.png

FIG. 11

FIG. 11(A) and FIG. 11(B) show a further example of the game screen 100. An enemy character 106 is displayed in a screen center of the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A), and the player character 102 turns to the enemy character 106. Furthermore, near each of the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b, a plurality of item images 120 are displayed. Although illustration is omitted, a background image is also displayed in the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A) (FIG. 11(B) is the same).

On the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A), by touching the item image 120, an item can be used. Since the item image 120 is thus displayed near the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to use an item by selecting a desired item by a touch input and depressing the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b near the item, for example. This is an example and should not be limited. When instructing the use of an item, the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b should just be pushed.

In addition, the item image 120 is displayed about the item that the player character 102 owns. Furthermore, the item image 120 should just be displayed according to a predetermined timing (event) such as a case where there is a displaying instruction by the player or a case of battling against the enemy character 106, and does not need to be displayed always.

In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A), for example, if the item image 120 that an image of a gun is drawn is selected (touched), it is determined that the player character 102 uses a gun object 108. Then, the game screen 100 as shown in FIG. 11(B) becomes to be displayed on the display panel 14. The game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(B) is drawn with a first-person viewpoint of the player character 102, and a part of hand of the player character 102 is displayed. Furthermore, since having determined the use of the gun object 108 as mentioned above, the gun object 108 is grasped by the hand of the player character 102. A point that the enemy character 106 is displayed in the screen center is the same as the game screen 100 of FIG. 11(A). Furthermore, since the item to be used is selected, the item image 120 is non-displayed in the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(B).

As shown also in FIG. 11(B), the part of the hand of the player character 102 and the gun object 108 are displayed near the second operation stick 18b. For example, an operation that makes the gun object 108 move or shoot a bullet is performed by the second operation stick 18b. Therefore, since the gun object 108 is displayed near the thumb of the player, a feeling that the player is directly operating the gun object 108 is obtained.

That is, since the game screen 100 drawn from the first-person viewpoint is displayed on the display panel 14 having a form similar to a form of the visual filed of the human being, the player can obtain a feeling of immersion into the virtual game space. Furthermore, since the gun object 108 is displayed near the thumb of the player, it is thought that a higher feeling of immersion can be obtained.

fig11_ab8jrmr.png

FIGS. 12 & 13

FIG. 12 shows a further example of the game screen 100. In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 12, an enemy character 106 is displayed in the screen center and a background image 104 in a manner that a spark is scattered in part and is full of smoke is displayed. Furthermore, an object (flame object) 130 that imitates flames is displayed around the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b. For example, it is shown a situation that by operating at least one of the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b by the player, the player character is caused to emit the flame to attack the enemy character 106 with the spark and smoke generated by the flame. Thus, by displaying an image effect corresponding to a physical operation of the player around the operation stick (18a, 18b), it is possible to display the game screen 100 with ambience. Therefore, it is possible to more raise a feeling of immersion.

FIG. 13 shows a further example of the game screen 100. In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 13, a player character 102 and a background image 104 are displayed as shown in FIG. 9(A) and FIG. 9(B). Furthermore, in the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 13, an index image 140 indicative of a help mode is displayed in an upper end portion in the screen center and a character string of “help mode” is displayed below the same. Furthermore, a guide image 142 is displayed near the first operation stick 18a. Here, the guide image 142 is displayed in the game screen 100 in contact with the first operation stick 18a or its key top in appearance. Similarly, a guide image 144 is displayed near the second operation stick 18b. Similarly, a moving image 146 is displayed near the first operation button 20a. The guide images 142, 144 and 146 are images for explaining an operation content (the content of instructions) of corresponding touch panel 16, operation stick (18a, 18b) and operation button (20a, 20b). In addition, the guide images 142 and 144 explain not only the operation content but an operation method. Therefore, it can be understood that if tilting the first operation stick 18a in a direction that the guide image 142 is extended, it is possible to move the player character 102 in the virtual space in the direction that the guide image 142 is extended in the screen, for example. It can be understood that if depressing the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to make the player character 102 jump. Then, it can be understood that if pushing the first operation button 20a, it is possible to make the player character 102 squat.

fig12_13ewl8w.png

FIGS. 14 & 15

FIG. 14 shows a further example of the game screen 100. In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 14, a player character 102 in a manner of throwing an object (ball object) 110 that imitates a ball is displayed. Furthermore, near the first operation stick 18a, an arrow mark (guide image) 150 that points a predetermined direction (here, left slant upper) is displayed, and a guide image 152 that is for indicating that the first operation stick 18a is tilted in a direction that the arrow mark points and imitates the key top portion 1800 of the first operation stick 18a is displayed while being blinked, for example. In FIG. 14, a dotted line shows that the guide image 152 is blinking. However, it is not necessary to make blink. Furthermore, near the guide image 150, a character string of “tilt” is displayed. Furthermore, the guide image 154 that shows that the second operation stick 18b is to be pushed is displayed around the second operation stick 18b, and a character string of “push” is displayed near this guide image 154.

FIG. 15 shows an example of a character input screen 200. A display area 202 that displays an input character in the screen center is formed in the character input screen 200 shown in FIG. 15. Guide images 204 for inputting a consonant (Japanese “a”-“wa” columns) are displayed around the first operation stick 18a. Furthermore, guide images 206 for inputting a vowel (rows of syllables on the Japanese syllabary table that ends with the vowel sound “a”-“o”) and punctuation are displayed around the second operation stick 18b.

fig14_15y3j29.png

FIG. 19

FIG. 19 is a block diagram showing non-limiting example electric structure of the information processing apparatus.

fig195ub4c.png

From another poster on NeoGaf.

Edited by Kounan

Yuck. I am not a fan of:

a) covering the screen for protracted lengths of time when gaming

b) minimal button inputs that end up being on a touch screen

They better not screw this up

I don't know what to say, it could be good, as it doesn't need to be the final design.

I don't have a problem with toch buttons so long the screen is responsive and very important, the analog sticks exist, as I hate movement on toch screen, just need te stick to feel it. Everything else it's a not a big problem for me.

Edited by Kounan

It does look a bit awkward. I expect that it's just a patent and that it's not something that Nintendo hope to use with the NX, but it could be good if they solve the issues that touch screen input has, like a lack of precision and a lack of feeling like you have instant control.

I don't think Nintendo will abandon buttons, they were ALWAYS against mobile and now they had to go there because they know how a big market it is, but I am quite sure they didn't change their mind in a way that thay will abandon buttons and go almost mobile on their consoles.

I mean if anything, on most of their games I liked the really good controls, so they do care about it.

Yuck. I am not a fan of:

a) covering the screen for protracted lengths of time when gaming

b) minimal button inputs that end up being on a touch screen

They better not screw this up

I'm with you on your feelings towards it. I don't like the idea of your hands taking up screen space, I think it'll dampen immersion, not enhance it.

The big thing though for me is that with it having a vastly different input method to competitor controllers (dependant on additional programming for touch buttons etc), 3rd Parties will shun the thing once again.

Edited by Kav

From an interview with Reggie:

In this way, what I would say in terms of our mobile apps is that we will absolutely continue our traditional maxim of developing software that matches the hardware. We have looked at the limitations of software design on mobile platforms, and worked within those parameters. If there's a 3DS game that requires the full manipulation of joysticks and multiple buttons, that game clearly can't be exactly replicated on a touch-screen mobile device. Our strategy is not to port games developed for our dedicated systems to smart devices as they are–we have to develop new software experiences that give people the opportunity to interact with Nintendo IP and that matches the play style and control of smart devices.

If Nintendo produce a games console with no physical buttons and only a touch screen input, they can fuck right off.

There is absolutely no way on earth I want to be looking down as half the screen is taken up by my thumbs.

If this is their last throw of the dice, it certainly isn't a pair of sixes!

Where are people getting the idea that there are no physical buttons? They're quite clearly displayed and explained above. No need for hysterics.

Where are people getting the idea that there are no physical buttons? They're quite clearly displayed and explained above. No need for hysterics.

There's two sticks when then bring up options on the screen. No thanks.

This just relates to the freeform screens from Sharp that were mentioned earlier in the year. I really don't think Nintendo will abandon buttons, there is no way the touch buttons can ever match the precision you get with real buttons - as good as haptic feedback gets. Considering how dedicated Nintendo are to maintaining dedicated games services it would be a major shock if they did away with face buttons entirely.