NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That's always such a dangerous place to be with Nintendo, as you're clearly aware :heh:

When you think Nintendo are in a position to shock and amaze us, they always manage to leave us scratching our heads wondering what on earth they were thinking :blank:

I suspect we'll see plenty of things to encourage us when the NX is finally revealed but equally there'll be things to make us sigh and realise that Nintendo will never learn :grin:

If you disregard what we've seen of the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild, does anyone have any predictions as to what will be the very first game we see footage of at the NX reveal? :hehe:

They'll always do what you Nintendon't expect.

As for Captain Toad 2 I think that would work better to plug any potential gaps later. It also feels like one of those games that could easily be expanded via DLC. Weird they never did.

First NX footage will be of...

...the UI.

:heh:

But then they'll show...

Mario Kart 9! :yay:

I hope. :hehe:

First NX footage will be of...

...the UI.

:heh:

I half expect that too :heh: They'll show the console, controller and then introduce us to 'Miitopia'.. or something!

My money is on a new 3D Mario game or Splatoon sequel to be the premier game footage for the NX

Just no. I hate Toad.

Lies! You love the little fella. I bet you saved up all your Nintendo points just to get the Captain Toad lamp. It now keeps you safe at night as you wrap yourself up in your Toad bedsheets, while hugging your Toad plushie. :D

@Hero\-of\-Time, I can't believe you referred to his Mrs as his Toad plushie! :p

Reggie done an interview with alistdaily. He discusses the NX and mobile strategies. Here are the NX parts, but the whole things is worth a read.

How are you seeing things evolving in the console space with Sony and Microsoft launching new consoles this year and Nintendo NX coming out in 2017?

Nintendo has a quite appropriate reputation of doing its own thing, so whatever Microsoft and Sony decide to do, that’s for them to manage. From a Nintendo perspective, we are focused first on making sure that the consumer understands [The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild and some of the other games that we’ve highlight here at the show, Pokémon Sun and Moon, Pokémon GO, Ever Oasis and Mario Party Star Rush. There was a lot of content that we wanted to showcase at E3. We’ve done that. Now, we’re going to start moving forward communicating more and more about NX as appropriate. For us, it’s all about the right communication at the right time. We believe we’ve got some games that are going to continue to drive our momentum this holiday, and we believe we’ve got a strong concept for NX that we’ll unveil in the future.

Many thought Nintendo was in dire straits after GameCube failed to find an audience, and then Wii exploded. Are there lessons learned from Wii U that are being applied to NX?

Every time we launch a new platform, every time we launch a critical new game, we always learn. We always do our breakdown of what worked, what didn’t, and certainly we’ve done that with Wii U, and we continue to believe that the innovation of the second screen was a worthwhile concept. The games that we’ve launched on the Wii U are hugely compelling: Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, the Super Mario game, The Legend of Zelda. Arguably, if you line up all of the single platform games for Wii U and the other two platforms, we have by far the most unique games that are highly rated by consumers and highly rated by the media. So those things worked.

One of the things that we have to do better when we launch the NX—we have to do a better job communicating the positioning for the product. We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness and what that means for the game playing experience. And we have to do a better job from a software planning standpoint to have that continuous beat of great new games that are motivating more and more people to pick up the hardware and more and more people to pick up the software. Those are the critical lessons. And as I verbalize them, they’re really traditional lessons within the industry. You have to make sure people understand the concept, you have to make sure you’ve got a great library of games, and when you do that, you tend to do well.

What’s the strategy when it comes to picking and choosing what to merchandise?

First, we want to be with the right partners. Vans is a great example, a fantastic partner. [second] we want to be in the right places, meaning what are the retail outlets that these products are going to show up in? Third, we want to be the right intellectual property. We want to do this in a way that is a growing, sustaining type of volume—not hits and misses. From that standpoint, we’re looking at a wide range of categories. Wearables certainly are huge. Collectibles are a big opportunity. The relationship we have with companies like Hasbro and Mattel, bringing our intellectual property to some of their game elements like the Mario-themed Uno set of cards that we’re bringing back. There’s a lot of activity that we’re doing in the space. But the main thing is that we want this to be an upward trajectory growth business, not a cyclical business.

There’s a Froot Loops commercial where parents put their kids to bed and then play Super Mario Bros. What opportunities is this multi-generational gamer family opening up for things like merchandising and theme parks?

It’s opening up huge opportunities for us, and not only in theme parks, not only in licensed merchandise, but it’s opening a branding and marketing opportunity for our mainline games as well. We just launched a new ad, which is a millennial mom talking to her son around different things that he should do in his video game experience. Mom is telling the boy not to leave those coins behind playing Super Mario and which arrow to use to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time. It’s reinforcing that millennial parents grew up playing our content, and there’s a huge opportunity to pass on that love to their kids. We’ve gotten tremendous feedback from that ad, and it looks like it’s driving our business—both hardware and software. So there’s a lot of opportunities, especially for Nintendo to speak to millennial parents who grew up playing our product and now have an opportunity to pass on that love to their kids.

Is that going to be an advantage when it comes to launching a new console like the NX?

I surely hope so. Nintendo has been in this video game business over 30 years. We have a rich legacy of wonderful IP. Those are strengths that we have that our competitors don’t, and so leveraging those strengths as we drive our business forward is going to be critically important.

This part...

Every time we launch a new platform, every time we launch a critical new game, we always learn.

q6vCApt.gif

Just a PR mouthpiece repeating the same thing over and over again.

I thought this quote was kinda strange.

"There was a lot of content that we wanted to showcase at E3. We’ve done that."

Edited by liger05

Those are the critical lessons. And as I verbalize them, they’re really traditional lessons within the industry.

Then you'd think you'd have fucking learned them by now, wouldn't you!! Just seems like typical Reggie PR speak to me too, everything they've done before being done again.

I'll believe the product when I see it.

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.

LPVG has learned that these controllers are designed to phase out the Wii Remote over time, featuring much of their same functionality. Players with existing Wii Remotes will be able to use them for some multi player titles, but not all releases.

The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

One of the titles which will support both the new NX detachable motion controllers and Wii Remotes for multiplayer is Just Dance 2017.

12XMGIWtrHBl5e.gif

Stay as far away from Wii stuff and multiple control schemes as you can!!

12XMGIWtrHBl5e.gif

Stay as far away from Wii stuff and multiple control schemes as you can!!

I sincerely hope they do have a WiiMote style controller in there. There are some games that are just better with motion controls. (The Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc.)

Take away the motion controls completely and you lose a lot of flexibility.

Also, the WiiMote + Nunchuk is still one of the most comfortable setups ever. It's so nice letting your arms be wherever the hell you like and still be able to play games.

Edited by Glen-i

Yes, I also read Gaf.

Preeeeety sure I remember joking about the whole right handed Link = motion controls thing ages ago...

Either way, Glen-i totally nicked my idea agreed with me well before GAF cottoned onto it, so there :p

Either way, if it does happen, it'll be optional this time around instead of mandatory like in Skyward Sword; which is a bit of a shame, considering the awesome stuff they could do with it if it were required like in Skyward Sword, but I'd still be chuffed to bits with having an option at least! :D

Preeeeety sure I remember joking about the whole right handed Link = motion controls thing ages ago...

Either way, Glen-i totally nicked my idea agreed with me well before GAF cottoned onto it, so there :p

Yup and Gaf were talking about it back then as well. :heh:

My issue isn't with the motion control but rather with the rumoured multiple control schemes and ability to use Wiimotes. They need to distance themselves as far away from anything Wii related as possible. Start mentioning Wii again and you'll have people running for the hills. Start saying that you can use this controller or that controller and you confuse people.

This latest rumour is pretty much exactly what I want to hear :hehe:

I love the Wii Remote and Nunchuk so if they replace the A button with A, B, X and Y and the B button on the back with an analogue trigger with digital click, it's what I would have liked for Wii U!

It would be the best of everything, for me, and allow for VC titles of every single home console they've ever made, especially if the attachable screen works with Wii U titles. If Nintendo can pull that off and give us portability, the NX could be the ultimate Nintendo platform.. and isn't that what we all want..? :love:

I sincerely hope they do have a WiiMote style controller in there. There are some games that are just better with motion controls. (The Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc.)

I personally think all three are worse experiences with motion controls. I see motion controls as a test product that has had its time, and now left us with nothing more than inferior ways to move the X and Y axis than those developed 20 years prior.

It was fun throwing bowling balls and swinging the sword at angles in Skyward Sword but anywhere that it's put in place of a standard control scheme, I've never felt it do anything but hamper the experience.

Edited by Shorty

Supporting motion controls I'm fine with. Requiring motion controls then no.

I don't want to have to do all that slag, wiggle etc etc.

I do worry the wii_ will still be around. Wii play, wii sports etc. Please retire these series.

Sticking with motion controls would probably stop me buying whatever the NX turns out to be.

Me too. Haven't got the time or patience to start fumbling over new play schemes. Heaven knows why they ditched motion controls with the Wii U only to want to come back to it a generation after.

I'm going to be a harsh critic of the NX during its launch period.

I do worry the wii_ will still be around. Wii play, wii sports etc. Please retire these series.

I've got to be honest and say I'd LOVE a new and improved Wii Sports :love: Wii Sports Club didn't go anywhere near far enough! A Super Tennis revival with amazing motion controls would be EPIC :grin:

They just need call any new revisions Nintendo Sports/Fit etc. Get rid of the Wii moniker but keep the series.

I'm happy for them to have motion controls but feel that they shouldn't have Wiimotes compatible with it. To distance itself from the Wii branding further.

FPS pointer-control is still outrageously good!

They just need call any new revisions Nintendo Sports/Fit etc. Get rid of the Wii moniker but keep the series.

I'm happy for them to have motion controls but feel that they shouldn't have Wiimotes compatible with it. To distance itself from the Wii branding further.

FPS pointer-control is still outrageously good!

Yeah no need for wiimote support. Again marketing I see can become an issue when retailers have to explain wiimote support.

Motion control is being doubled down on across the industry due to VR though.

Just because Nintendo will have it as an option doesn't mean it's bad. Don't fret, it won't be mandatory for all games.