View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #5172
solitanze
is in another castle.

Xbox Live: IRRELEVANT, WON'T BE OWNING THIS SYSTEM AT ANY STA
??????????'s Profile Page
Send a message via ICQ to solitanze Send a message via AIM to solitanze Send a message via Yahoo to solitanze Send a message via Skype™ to solitanze

LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - CRITICISM INDEX:
=====*MOVED*=====

NOTE: Previous entries have been deleted, its merely been moved.

PURPOSE: The aim of this message is to ensure that you, the readers of this forum topic are aware of potential areas where the review scores could be PENALISED. Every .1 point counts and can potentially ruin its chances of achieving the highest aggregate average review score number in the history of gaming [to which we'd all like to see become a reality] if game journalists penalise the game due to the issues mentioned below and others as well not mentioned.

:

LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - CRITICISM INDEX:

I've read most impressions and generally they are good. Most fess up to the Wii version being far superior to the Gamecube version and this will be a MUST HAVE game but also some acknowledge that while being great, its not 100% perfect either. The most negative by far is Kotakus preview and Planet Gamecubes Preview, A LOT OF CRITICISMS about the game from both guys and in their reviews they will give the game 9/10 at the highest as what they says contradicts with what the other 11 or so people have said about the game, to an extent because some people are in agreeance with graphics being HORRIBLE in some areas and of course the good ol' control issues.

GAMEDAILY:
Unfortunately, the controls aren't perfect. The A button is used to perform context sensitive commands, and because a few of them can be done at one time, it's too easy to "roll" instead of "pick up". However, this appears to be more of a design issue than a controller malfunction, and the odds are good that the same problem will pop up in the GameCube version.

Visually, the game's very attractive but not in a high-end graphics card kind of way. The Link as elf portions of the game are horribly pixalated, despite all of the slick effects. The ground is blurry, leaves have jagged edges, and the rain effects are extremely poor.

http://wii.gamedaily.com/game/featur...&id=447&page=2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KOTAKU:
The graphics of Twilight Princess are both beautiful and disappointing, looking a lot like a high end Gamecube title (or more likely, XBOX) with enhanced shaders. In the normal world, there are moments of brilliance in the glow of the vast horizon, but these touches are difficult to appreciate with Link's pixilated body constantly front and center. Artistic intention is obvious, but I can't help wishing that the jagged edges of Link's arms aren't more frightening than his sword. Some of the effect is from the proximity we sit to the LCD televisions - which are only a few feet away.

But how does the Wiimote fair? It's not horrible, and not stellar. You unsheathe the sword by moving the remote. Fighting with a sword, you have three basic attacks: you can swipe side to side by swinging horizontally. You can swing downward by swinging the remote up to down. Or you can thrust...by thrusting? No. You swing and hold the nunchuk directional pad forward. To me, this button combination takes a lot away from the basic sword control. As soon as simple attacks aren't one-to-one translations, I begin to miss the point. A jump attack or finishing blow is even less movement based, requiring you to lock on with the Z button from the nunchuk and press A. I want to leap into the air and descend from the heavens, smashing skulls into bits, projecting little brain pieces on fellow journalists, yelling "That's how the Markster brings it, BITCH! Don't fuck with Zelda!" Hell, I practiced it. But instead, it's Z button A button. The combat can still be fun, and the added visceral element will be a loss in the Gamecube version. But the sword attacks simply don't take full advantage of the Wii controls.

Attacking with the wolf is the only major disappointment in battle. He has one primary lunging attack activated by any simple Wiimote movement. Because of this mono-directional fighting style, I often find myself on the wrong side of an enemy with little choice than to run and turn around (less the wolf's subsequent anal raping make Twilight Princess 'M' for Mature).

Sadly enough, fishing might be the most natural use of the Wiimote in the whole game. You cast as you normally would think to cast, and pull up immediately as the bobber goes under. It's simple, natural and offers the one-to-one Wiimote control that I crave more of in the game.

Twilight Princess doesn't utilize motion as well as some games built for the Wii from the ground up, which I find to be a disappointment. But I do find myself enjoying playing, and I'm enjoying playing in the way one can only enjoy a Zelda title. Does Twilight Princess need to be on the Wii? Probably not. But the game is a little better for it.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/feature...ess-212137.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1UP:
Although the control scheme isn't entirely flawless…

The one new left-hand function comes from the tiny C button above the Z trigger, which activates a free-look camera. Unfortunately, the C button is a bit small and awkward in its placement, not unlike the GameCube's Z button. That's hardly Zelda's fault, but it's still slightly annoying.

it's not HD, and some of the textures seem a bit bland,

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3154917

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN:
I've always been a big critic of Nintendo's reluctance to put more time and effort into its story presentations and am therefore slightly discouraged to see that very little has changed.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744044p1.html

"NEW" Gamespot:
but after spending a longer period with it, we have to say that we're still on the fence but leaning towards being cool with it--with some reservations.

The bummer is that the game still follows the sparse approach to audio we've seen in the last few games in the series. So far, we've just heard the usual run of sound samples when you interact with people and the traditional roars and screeches from enemies, especially bosses. There's also a host of interactive audio cues as you go about your business. What we played so far painted a solid portrait for the game's sound offerings, but nothing's jumped out and grabbed us yet.

The control has come to feel pretty natural, though we'll admit it still trips us up on occasion,

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/t...topslot&page=1

"NEW" Planet Gamecube:
When taking individual swipes, Link always attacks horizontally when not Z-targeting, he always attacks vertically when Z-targeting is active. Worse, he only stabs in Z-targeting mode when the control stick on the nunchuk is held upwards as the remote is in motion. A forward stabbing motion with the remote is not necessary for Link to do the same thing in the game, which was a bit of a letdown.

One of my colleagues at the event likened it to button mashing, but with wrist movements instead of thumb tapping. At times, it did kind of feel that way, as if I were waving the thing around and not really connecting with the sword movement on screen.

You can assign three items to three D-pad directions, and a fourth to the B-trigger. Pressing one of the D-pad buttons does not activate that item; instead, it swaps it out with whatever item you had on the B-trigger. It's not the most ideal setup; it would have still been nice for one-button access to four items,

Camera control is really the only shortcoming of Wii Zelda. No, it's not terrible. It's just like it was in Ocarina of Time. We were spoiled a bit in Wind Waker, what with its free camera controls. But it turns out that it's a luxury, and not a true necessity. All the camera control we get in Twilight Princess is the Z-trigger to reset the camera behind Link, and the C button (it's almost like a nub, actually) to enter first-person view. There were plenty of times when I wish I had a better angle of the action when fighting against enemies, but most times the one I was stuck with was adequate. Just running around, doing my general adventuring, the camera was never a problem for me. Precision jumping was never one of the stronger points of the Zelda series, and TP is no exception. That's more of a general problem with the game, and no fault of the Wii controller.

After calling her out, she'll jump over to the point you can follow her to. To follow her, it's necessary to activate Z-targeting and hit the Up button again. This is the one thing about the wolf controls that doesn't make any sense to me. Up is a strange button to need to hit over and over again, and yet there are places where Link jumps across multiple gaps in succession, either in a button-mashing streak or with the proper timing to avoid hazards. In the first case, it might as well be automatic, and in the second, why not use the centrally located A-button to perform the jumping maneuvers? And why do I need to Z-target to do this? To me, it feels as if something here is unnecessary; it doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the game.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/impres...fm?artid=12340

“NEW” Gamasutra:
This lag was immediately evident after you collected 30 rupees and bought the slingshot, and began testing your aim. You assign items, such as the slingshot, to the B button, and there were times when pressing the button would simply bring up a message saying that you needed to point the Wii remote at the screen, even if you were already doing just that.

Sometimes after a second or two it would register, sometimes it would pick it up only after the remote was moved, and other times it would not read it at all, forcing the B button to be released and depressed again. Annoying, for sure, and truly hope that this was an factor of the environment rather than an issue with the hardware. Color me cautiously optimistic in this regard.

Another issue I had with the game was in how the horse controls. I clearly am not happy with how the beast responds to my instructions, but it should also be said that your steed controls nearly identically than she did in Ocarina of Time. So, since next to nobody had an issue with that, you can take my following words with a grain of salt. My problem is that your horse feels too much like driving a tank with legs.

It's a bit unwieldy, and I found myself having trouble lining up targets on the horse, or running into walls while trying to navigate thin passageways. This was doubly disturbing because controlling Link in wolf form while in the Twilight Realm feels perfectly natural.

While the two are different for a number of reasons, there really is no reason why the horse could not mimic the fluid nature of the wolf's controls – other than just to say the horse needs to be more difficult to handle because its a horse. But as said, this will not be an issue for the majority of people who played through and loved Ocarina.

My final gripe is that after spending as much time as I have with the game, is that I have to say that I miss having a freely controllable camera. Granted, pressing Z and C on the nunchuck do reposition the camera behind link and go into a first-person “free look” mode respectively, but it's just not the same. Not to me anyway.

In the first five or so hours I found more than one occasion were I would have enjoyed the ability to rotate the camera a few degrees in order to see around a corner or get a better view of what Link happened to be doing at the time.

END NOTES/INFORMATION:
More to follow, if they are significant and I don't face time constraints. If you have any other criticisms you have found of the game from professional publications of this game that I have not included [the recent impressions that is, NOT E3 or September events], post them in this forum topic or perhaps even private message me [I'm expecting flames from some people after mentioning this], and i'll post the criticism in this message and give you heads up in a heads up section to be created if I have user contributions of criticisms. Remember to include the source [hyperlink] of the criticism as well if you notify me of a criticism.

HEADS UP TO:
Dante - For providing the template Spoiler tags, have trouble with these for some reaosn.

Last edited by solitanze; 06-11-2006 at 06:25 AM.
solitanze is offline   Reply With Quote