NEurope

Great, isn't it? I love Paranoid so, so much. Amazing beat.

Indeed. It's got some flack by those of the philistine disposition for it's complete (IIRC) use of auto-tune/vocoder, but, myabe it's just me, I find that often that creates a very powerful emotional response to the actual singing.

Can't really explain it. It makes it sound...sadder. Which fits the album content. This is evident in Nobody' Perfect by Madonna, too.

Need to check out Kanye's new digs. Killers I only really listened to Hot Fuss (always reminds me of one summer at Woolworths, funtimes (well, fun people) and whichever song says "Drive faster", if you listen, as my friend pointed out, it sounds like "Jack bastard.").

Anyway yeah...as someone asked me this recently; where do people tend to find out new bands from? Personally for me its television. Bands like Louis XIV, The Format, Spoon, Neko Case, Tegan and Sara etc I discovered through TV shows. So what about everyone else?

Indeed. It's got some flack by those of the philistine disposition for it's complete (IIRC) use of auto-tune/vocoder, but, myabe it's just me, I find that often that creates a very powerful emotional response to the actual singing.

Can't really explain it. It makes it sound...sadder. Which fits the album content. This is evident in Nobody' Perfect by Madonna, too.

yeah it really adds to the melancholy theme. Particularly like it on Welcome to Heartbreak and Street Lights

I'll never forgive Kanye for butchering a great piece of music by using it in such an awful song.

Great, isn't it? I love Paranoid so, so much. Amazing beat.

This man speaketh the truth!

I :heart: this album atm, but especially Paranoid!

Need to check out Kanye's new digs. Killers I only really listened to Hot Fuss (always reminds me of one summer at Woolworths, funtimes (well, fun people) and whichever song says "Drive faster", if you listen, as my friend pointed out, it sounds like "Jack bastard.").

Anyway yeah...as someone asked me this recently; where do people tend to find out new bands from? Personally for me its television. Bands like Louis XIV, The Format, Spoon, Neko Case, Tegan and Sara etc I discovered through TV shows. So what about everyone else?

The Format are actually amazing, not sure where I normally hear of new music. The O.C was always quite an obvious 1, also from checking out Myspace and seeing bands in other bands top 10. Also Kris Roe from the Ataris helped me discover bands like Mew, Explosions in The Sky, The Apples in Stereo just because he listed them in bands that have influenced him.

It's just down to personal taste, I'm liking the album a lot more now, it's just that yes Hot Fuss was awesome when it came out but now relistening to it, I only truly love half the tracks, the style of Sam's Town just worked a lot better I thought...

Anyway if you loved Hot Fuss and still love all of it, then chances are you will really like Day and Age so don't be put off. :smile:

Smile Like You Mean It and Mr Brightside are one of favourite songs ever but Somebody Told Me is just terrible. Hate that song

The black and green scarecrow as everyone knows, stood with a bird on his hat and straw everywhere he didn't care....

Anyone else love this or is it just me? :heh:

...as someone asked me this recently; where do people tend to find out new bands from?...

TV shows is a frequent source, but I usually forget to wiki/imdb for it unless it's especially awesome. But you have a good point - I've been out of the 'new music' scene for aaaaages. I just rely on the odd individual lending me a CD here and there. Oh, and how could I forget the n-e Mixtapes? Oh yeah, because my name isn't Dan_Dare :P

Anyway, the Music Warz! matches thread is now up. I thought I submitted the thread earlier, but obviously I failed to click when I left the room.

It's Led Zeppelin vs. Train!

TV shows is a frequent source, but I usually forget to wiki/imdb for it unless it's especially awesome. But you have a good point - I've been out of the 'new music' scene for aaaaages. I just rely on the odd individual lending me a CD here and there. Oh, and how could I forget the n-e Mixtapes? Oh yeah, because my name isn't Dan_Dare :P

Its seldom I look at wiki/google or whatever. I rely upon fan communities to find out anyway. Its nice, a day after the new Gossip Girl airs you can find out what all the music was and where to buy the clothes (although annoyingly not the orange trenchcoat I want). Same with Veronica Mars when it was on the air.

I've not listened to new music in a while. But I shall be checking out the new Kanye tomorrow.

I have just discovered Ben Folds (bit late to the party I know) and I adore his music. Brick is lovely. Any suggestions for song to downlo.....err listen to?

@ Bard: Venetian Snares is a sort of God. He really is.

@ Bard 2: Obviously! Stoner pwns all!

@ Dan: I love Kanye and all... but Cube's right, Stronger is the shittiest thing ever!

I don't care, I'm hyped. Britney just released a 30 second "teaser" (Just a few clips of the video/extra clips) of her new video "Circus". I love the song, one of the great tracks on the new album.

Just viewed it, sounds good... for a Britney song :heh: not my cup of tea though...

I bought Microcastle by Deerhunter, as I espied it got 9.2 on Pitchfork (and last time I bought an album rather highly on Pitchfork, Exile In Guyville by Liz Phair, I was blown away)

This is excellent stuff. 2 discs!

I have just discovered Ben Folds (bit late to the party I know) and I adore his music. Brick is lovely. Any suggestions for song to downlo.....err listen to?

ummm...the rest? just get a few albums (though perhaps skip the unauthorised biography... number for now) it's all excellent

Beyonce's 'Stolen' New Hit Record

24074_167065.jpg

The story behind "If I Were a Boy" is absolutely scandalous. It also explains my question of why this single missed the Grammy deadline of Sept. 30, since it was ready to go at least three weeks ago. The answer: it was held up by endless legal wrangling since, in the long hallowed tradition of the music business, the young woman who wrote the melody and lyrics for "If I Were a Boy" had no idea Beyonce had even recorded her song until a stranger called with the news. By then, it was too late.

BC Jean is a hot, up-and-coming, 21-year-old female singer songwriter from San Diego. Those who’ve met her says she’s smart and "gorgeous." But BC (her initials, legend has it, are for "beautiful child") got a cold dose of reality this summer when it comes to the record business. According to sources, she and her manager/mother have been strong-armed by Beyonce’s people and others who saw gold in "If I Were a Boy" and didn’t care how they got it.

You can hear BC Jean’s version of her own song, written with German pop-factory producer Toby Gad, at http://www.bcjean.net. It’s certainly as good as Beyonce’s if not better. It’s no wonder that this young woman is now the center of so much attention.

Altogether, I am told, BC Jean wrote and recorded about a dozen songs with Gad for an album the producer was planning to make of his own. When the deal fell apart, Gad — whose 300 plus credits are all co-written, never solo — took the songs and started marketing them to big name, established artists. Gad’s past "collaborators" include Fergie, on "Big Girls Don’t Cry."

Besides Beyonce, Gad brought at least one of the songs to Disney for "Hannah Montana" star Miley Cyrus. But Disney wanted the lyrics changed to be age-appropriate. BC Jean refused. For now, Miley and Gad have been rebuffed.

When I wrote about Beyonce’s version of "If I Were a Boy" last week, calls came pouring in from people who knew the real history of this story. BC Jean’s mother/manager, Lori Carlson, told me she couldn’t comment on the situation. But plenty of people knew the saga of Beyonce’s legendary manager/father Mathew Knowles’ aggressive pursuit of the publishing rights to the potential hit record. His goal was to get the rights to the song and to put Beyonce’s name on the writing credits.

The Carlsons, I’m told, recently came to terms with Beyonce, after enduring the kind of record biz terrors that would curl the hair of the guys from "Hit Men." Now, "If I Were a Boy" is hitting big time. Part of the deal, my sources insist, is that the two singers will duet on BC Jean’s debut album once she gets her own recording deal. Right now, managers, publishers and A&R people from all over the industry are falling over themselves trying to sign BC Jean. They should be. She seems to be the real deal, a potential artist with a big career looming in front of her. It’s a shame that this is the way she had to find out about the record business.

BC Jean’s story is an old one that dates back to Elvis Presley and continues ‘til today. The larger issue, of course, is that performers who don’t write their own music get no royalty when their records are played on the radio. That’s why a Performance Royalty Act is being pushed in Congress right now, and why songwriters should back it. Artists wouldn’t be looking to muscle in on their business if they were paid appropriately. Beyonce simply falls into a category that also includes Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett as well as Sam Moore and Judy Collins, each of whom testified in front of Congress about the matter this year.

BC Jean should be happy - no one would have heard of her if not for Beyonce.

I would be literally honoured if Beyonce stole my song.