NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
C.H

Blast Works

i thought this trhead said BlastCorps but it was something else :(
I also came into this thread thinking this could be some sort of Blast Corps related awesomeness, although I held little hope.

Quick question, are the edit features available from the start of the game?

Yes. And a good thing too as the campaigns aren't all that good.

One thing I should mention (to everyone) is that you can't download the games directly from your Wii, you need to goto the following site

http://www.blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/

then enter your Wii Number there, and tell the content to download from the website, then you can download it the next time you play the game.

Edited by Emasher

I got around to playing this game this morning and here's what I think.

The game doesnt give you any tutorials so its straight into the action but this caused a problem for me. I started playing and I thought this was just a standard scrolling shooter but I wondered why the enemies I shot didnt blow up but instead fell slowly out of the sky. After the first stage I was wondering what all the fuss was about and for funsies I decided to ram into a ship I had shot down and to my amazement the ship stuck to me. After that everything I shot I grabbed and eventually I had a stupid amount of enemies stuck to my little ship, at one point my ship covered 3/4 of the screen :)

When you attach an enemy ship it has two purposes. Firstly it acts as a shield for your main ship as any bullets that come for you will hit that part and knock it off. Secondly any weapon or enemy that shoots at you and you attach then their fire power becomes your own, so the enemies themselves are the power ups in this shooter :D

So far its all good.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

So far its all good.
Sweet. :hehe:

I really hope my copy shows up soon. :blank:

I've got Order Up! keeping me distracted at the moment though. You were right about that one H-o-T, it's quite a nice little game. Worth checking out for a tenner anyway. ;)

I've got Order Up! keeping me distracted at the moment though. You were right about that one H-o-T, it's quite a nice little game. Worth checking out for a tenner anyway. ;)

Yeah? I've been meaning to get stuck into it now that the storage solution has come our way- I'd been having to delete stuff to make game saves! Just recently I've been playing the DS a lot since I bought the likes of Henry Hatsworth and the new FF:CC game.

As for Order Up! How you finding it? Tell me all about your experiences with it... and soon this thread will be ripe for a rename too. :hehe:

At last Blast Works is mine! :hehe:

Still can't believe what a fiasco it was to get hold of, glad it's over now.

It was worth the hassle though, because the game is awesome!

And playing it made me have one of the most major flashbacks ever, we're talking back like 20 years to my Commodore 64 days! :love:

Don't know if anyone here will know/remember it, but there was a program on the C64 called Shoot 'Em-Up Construction Kit (aka SEUCK) anyway, I used to absolutely adore it, was one of my most played games back then.

Well, Blast Works really is just like a modern version of SEUCK. You're able to create/edit pretty much every single aspect of the game, it.. is.. insane. :heh:

Already registered on the Blast Works Depot, there is some pretty amazing stuff on there. Looking forward to submitting some of my own shapes/levels soon. It's definitely a cool feature, especially for people that don't have the patience/time to mess around with the editors, as they can still download and check out different content made by other users. icon14.gif

One thing to mention is that the game is a real memory hog, 128 blocks for the save file!

Still, with the recent storage fix that shouldn't be a problem for anyone now.

So yeah, if you're in to old school scrolling shooters this is a great game to check out, and simply a must have if you also like to be creative.

Plus it has what must be the best Wii disc channel music, ever. :laughing:

Glad to see you have your copy now :)

I doubt I will faff around with the creating part of the game, never do on any game. Are you very far in campaign mode?

I doubt I will faff around with the creating part of the game, never do on any game. Are you very far in campaign mode?
Not at all, I've been playing the game for hours now, but only spent around 10 minutes or so playing the actual campaign mode. Yeah I'm basically the compete opposite of you when it comes to the creating part of games. :) This thing is going to keep me hooked for ages!

I hope you'll connect your Wii online sometime in the future though H-o-T, to check out some of the user created stuff. Needless to say, I'll have some levels to send your way. : peace:

The creating part is really the main part of the game. If you're not into that its probably not the best choice.

Yes. And a good thing too as the campaigns aren't all that good.

One thing I should mention (to everyone) is that you can't download the games directly from your Wii, you need to goto the following site

http://www.blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/

then enter your Wii Number there, and tell the content to download from the website, then you can download it the next time you play the game.

Ok...can never be too simple can it?

I'm picking this up, espicially after reading Eurogamers review! How many MB's is it to download a user-created level though? Must vary by alot right?

Are you very far in campaign mode?
I'm on the 5th campaign now, haven't managed to beat it yet though! :blush: How about you?

The creating part is really the main part of the game. If you're not into that its probably not the best choice.
Yeah, I guess I'd agree with that. But having spent a bit more time in the campaign mode I do think it is a really fun part of game, and the sticky enemies mechanic is just brilliant. icon14.gif Not forgetting the fact that there are 4 unlockable games in there too.

Plus like I mentioned before, those that don't dig the creation aspect can still enjoy downloading additional levels etc. from the depot.

Speaking of which, I'm really getting in to making my first level now. Have created a load of different characters, just need to start putting it all together and try to resist the temptation of making it OTT. :heh:

I'm on the 5th campaign now, haven't managed to beat it yet though! :blush: How about you?

Im just on the 3rd but I havent been back on it since my first impressions post as Super Princess Peach has been nicking all of my time :)

Super Princess Peach has been nicking all of my time

Couldn't be more off topic, but how's that working out for you? It all seems uber cute, but oddly attractive (a bit like Peach herself).

Couldn't be more off topic, but how's that working out for you? It all seems uber cute, but oddly attractive (a bit like Peach herself).

Check out the thread in the handheld board for my thoughts on the game but basically I loved it.

EDIT: Just finished the game, bit disappointed there are only 5 campaigns :(

I racked up alot of lives on levels 3 and 4 but when it came to do level 5 I lost most of them. By the end of level 5-2 I had 5 lives left and I thought I was screwed, how wrong I was.

At the start of the final level I managed to shoot everything in sight and create a monster of a ship that took up all of the screen. I couldn't see any enemies but I knew I was killing them as I could see their health appear and then quickly disappear at the bottom of the screen. At this point I was racking up an extra life every 2 seconds and soon I had 99! There was someform of mini boss halfway through the level but I couldnt really see him and then he was dead :) When I finally made it to the last boss I just charged the sucker, lost 5 lives doing it but I could spare them :D

I've also finished campaign mode now, it's funny how the first stage of the 5th campaign is by far the most difficult. :heh:

Anyway, beating the campaign unlocked TUMIKI Fighters, which for some strange reason runs really badly on the Wii (compared to the PC version) with loads of frame skips! :shakehead Quite disappointed by that. :sad:

I beat arcade mode today too, that unlocked rRootage, which I'm absolutely loving and luckily (unlike TUMIKI Fighters) runs perfectly. icon14.gif

H-o-T, have you done any campaign/arcade stages on Pilot or Ace difficulty yet? I tried a few on those settings earlier (want to unlock some of the additional editor content/game play cheats) sure makes the game a lot harder, and even more fun in my opinion. We're talking almost Ikaruga levels of insanity! :cool:

Nah, never tried any other difficulty as I suck at these types of games. I remember when I had my C64 and had a game called Nemesis ( think it was Gradius in the US ) took me ages to beat that as a kid :)

Played this briefly yesterday.

What a brilliant dynamic it has. Traditionally, i'd play games like Ikaruga and R-type towards the back edge me the screen- BlastWorks is forcing me out of that comfort zone to collect ship parts.

The campaign game isn't the most exciting, and i've yet to download any really impressive User Generated Content (get cracking Redshell!)- although there was a superb rendition of SMB1-1, but ultimately not a great example of what can be done here.

I'm pretty keen to see where developers take the idea me User Generated Content. Perhaps Animal Crossing should embrace it next time?

Sign in to follow this