NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
solitanze

Wiivaluation

A thread to express your thoughts on the details that have emerged over the past 48 hours whether it be showering of praises or expressing your frustration, the PROS and CONS, your own OVERALL verdict at the conclusions of these events and the implications that these business decisions will have on the success of the Wii Console.

Cons- controller price, even though its normal since it's high tech

Pros- everything else

Cons - europe paying the most and getting it last

pros - Wii-mote, nunchuck and classic controller are priced equally to the us.

Pros - Releasing system before Christmas, good line up of software showing real promise with less reliance on existing first party franchises suggesting possible strong long term third party support, the system will provide an unparalleled gaming experience with the revolutionary Wiimote.

Cons - Buggy games still apparent [e.g. Twilight Princess, Red Steel], Failing to capitalise and deliver a massive blow to competitors with an overpriced console bundled with a tech demo [Wiis version of Luigis Mansion for GC], overpriced controllers, lack of quality NTSC only Virtual Console games such as Earthbound and Sin & Punishment, no choice of colour restricted to white only, Inferior graphics, LACK OF ONLINE SUPPORT --> No developments on what looks to be a far inferior online system to that of rival consoles, no DVD playback, No external hard drive support?

OVERALL - Good, not great. Translates to a 7/10 and i'm being lenient but thats due to having some great features and benefits which you'd already be well aware of that offsets a majority of the cons.

EDIT: What are those two other channels going to be?

There isn't much wrong with the price.

179 includes internal memory, a game, and wi-fi compatability and the controller is wireless.

The 360 core at 199 requires you to buy a memory card, buy a game, buy a wi-fi adapter and the controller is wired. Although it does play DVDs.

I know theres a loads of people bitching about the price of the Wii compared to our american counterparts but, please remember we have to pay 17.5% VAT (which isn't Nintendo's fault) and also to ship it over here will cost extra as well because im sure its over twice as far as America is.

And like Sabre said. 179 includes 512 memory, a game, wifi and a controller. So please don't be haters!

________

Airsoft Holsters

Edited by fex

It launches with Zelda. If it launches with Zelda, there will be a launch Wii under my TV keeping me happy, swinging my Master Sword around with glee.

And then maybe I'll have a go with the Wiimote/sword controls on the game.

Pros - cheap (I was expecting £150, but £180 with Sports is mighty fine for me!), this year, Mii, Wii Play looks cool.

Cons - People complaining, and the controllers a bit steep...

Prons: The Wii itself. There were no doubts of it not coming to Europe before Christmas because Nintendo had emphazised the "Worldwide" release so much already that even the PS3 delay couldn't stop it from being released here at time. The Wii-sports is a nice add, I would've bought it anyway along with Twilight Princess.

Cons: The price (not that big of a problem though), the late release, a very few games were mentioned in the launch list, and, and, and..

Cons: £180 is way more than i expected. Having to buy nunchakus and wii-motes seperately is really pricey.

Pros: the only thing i can think off is that its 'bundled' with wiisports, although even that probably bumped the price up

I'll play the P/C game too. Let's begin.

Pros: The Wii, decent launch lineup, the fact it's FINALLY coming out (Wii and Zelda), the Wii Sports pack-in, the Mii stuff that I can't wait to try out, did I already mention Zelda? Uh, the PS3 being delayed allowing Wii some sales this side of 2007... WIIGION-FREE.

Cons: No online games at launch, a few delayed games like Metroid and friends, the fact I have to work soon which doesn't actually have anything to do with the Nintendo Wii at all, the price isn't far from a 360 core but far better value, the wait we're going to face now...

Go Wii.

Hmm...

Pros: Very nice online and multimedia features, was only expecting a barebones game console. Releases in all regions in Q4 2006, just as Nintendo promised. Lots of great games and nice launch lineup. Looks *fun*. ZEEELLLLDDDAAAA!!1

Cons: EU Wii price is a little higher than I thought. AA batteries needed for Wiimotes (time to get rechargables).

Overall verdict: I'm very pleased with the Wii and its games, it truly feels like Nintendo listened to its fans. I am a little concerned that the EU price might just be a little too high for the mainstream public.

Rating: 9/10.

While I agree that the price is not exactly "mass market" yet, I think Nintendo played their cards very, very well.

Price:

Why set a mass market price if you don't have any of your non-games ready yet? The first 6 million units or so will go to the hardcore/early adopters that would buy it anyway. The extra $50 x 6 million units = $300 million! It also helps keep demand a little lower so that any shortages aren't as bad as the other two consoles experienced/will experience.

Bundling Wii Sports:

This is good (for Nintendo) for several reasons- it allows them to raise the system price, and it gets millions of copies of Wii Sports out into the wild where unsuspecting non-gamers can play it and get addicted. Face it, if it were priced similarly to other games rather than being bundled it wouldn't hold a candle to Zelda, Rayman, or many other most of the other games out there. Plus this gives cheap parent the option of not buying their kid a game because "it already comes with one."

Delaying Metroid et al.:

By claiming Metroid as a launch title, as with Smash Bros earlier, Nintendo built a whole lot of hype surrounding the launch. A lot of people were buzzing about just how many AAA games were going to be coming out in "Q4." It built up a Reality Distortion Field that made Wii look even better. Of course, it wouldn't be smart to release all those titles at once, and Nintendo probably never planned to, since it would destroy 3rd party sales. Nintendo seems to keep things "just around the next corner," as it keeps our interest up.

The Non-Gamer:

I think that Nintendo plans to bring on the "mass market" appeal of the Wii just as hardcore gamers slow their purchasing. The general public is finnicky. Launch period shortages would dampen their spirits and kill Nintendo's strategy. Nintendo needs several ingredients before they grab the casual/non-gamers:

-plenty of units

-two or three killer non-games

-a solid online service

-mass market console price

-lots of exposure

This will probably happen next year about this time. Nintendo could change out the bundle and/or drop the console price (since Xbox will probably a price drop then, too). They would have had time to refine their online service and perhaps add another channel or two (video chat, etc.). Competitions similar to the "coolest grandparent" would get the Wii name back into the news, and new non-games would probably hit the popular magazines/Oprah etc. in time for their "best gifts of 2007" editions.

As for this Christmas, I think Nintendo will leverage the DS Lite as their mass market offering. There are a ton of great cheap games out, and all the good press could make it the top selling game system over the holidays, despite the 4 million Wii systems that are guaranteed to sell.

Pros-Wii Bowling

Cons-Im not playing it right now

Seriously, the Wii will be fine as long as we get a few Zelda-quality games a year. I hope Nintendo does a good job of mingling the AAA games with the filler. Im not bothered about the price. Sure they could have lowered it, but Nintendo isnt Microsoft or Sony, theyre not obligated to take losses on their hardware. Let them make money hand over fist so we can enjoy their products for years to come

Sign in to follow this