NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

PS3 update stuck on 99%

I've only properly managed to get my PS3 online since we've just got a new modem, and I intended to get Journey but when I got online it said I had to update to the latest firmware - fine. It seems to download finebut when installing gets to 99% for awhile then gives me some bullshit about an error and recommends turning it off, removing power cable for a few mins and trying again - same result. I've looked on some forums and it mentions turning the power button round the back, yet it doesn't have such a switch.

I've also heard of "safe mode" which I've done the power button pressing steps and the text got bigger, like the screen resolution was changed (so I think I was successful) but it still gets to 99%. I'm about to take the hard drive out and then putting it back in to see if that helps, but I'm not that flush to by a new HD (which some have done)

Anyone been through this themselves??

EDIT: Seems I can't open the thing up because I don't have the right screwdriver, seems to need some form of star-shaped one.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Which model do you have? The HDD should only require a standard cross screwdriver.

It sounds like a new HDD or sending it to Sony.

Which model do you have? The HDD should only require a standard cross screwdriver.

It sounds like a new HDD or sending it to Sony.

I'm not sure which model I have, I'll read out the model number when I get home - it's one of the slim ones and I think it's a 16gb model. I meant the case seems to need a special kind of screwdriver the starry thing with a raised bit in the middle. I cannae get to the normal screws for the HD inside the box. How much are PS3 HDs nowadays?

PS3 HDDs are just standard 2.5" HDDs that you get in laptops.

There should be a rubber panel under where the HDD is.

Managed to find all the little screws which (only one in the end) got me to whip the HDD out and put it back in.

Looking at this topic here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/My-PS3-freezes-at-99-through-the-update/td-p/20012094, specifically this post:

Also if you can't get into the regular system menu to apply the update b/c your update wasn't finished you should plug in the USB drive with the update power on the system using the consoles power button NOT the contoller. Hold the power button down on the console until you hear 3 beeps, then release it. It should bring you into the console's recovery system where you can update via the internet or USB drive without needed the main system firmware to do so in case it was corrupted or something. Hope it helps

I've downloaded the update on a USB drive but no matter how long I hold the power button for (one beep, the second beep - start again, one beep, two quick beeps and release) it just goes straight to the "previous install operation was cancelled [by its fucking self] The system is attempting to install again." with no way of going back or any indication of this "console recovery system"

It's hard to believe a new HDD may be required just because Sony can't get their shit together and update properly.

PS3 HDDs are just standard 2.5" HDDs that you get in laptops.

There should be a rubber panel under where the HDD is.

Now I've got a new problem. Many "solutions" seem to involve formating the HDD, which I decided to do. Now it complains the system shizzle can't start and I should update to 4.21 or higher, I get the update on my USB stick and try to install it from there. It tells me there's no applicable data to be found. I delete everything except the update file with the same result. I put it on my external HDD I use as a backup and the same result occurs.

:mad:

Sign in to follow this