NEurope
Mokong

You've Got your Wii U - Talk about it/Show it off here

Since some people have started to get their Wii U's today in the mail (you lucky lucky so and so's :mad:)

Figured we should have one single thread for discussing the actual getting/arrival/first impressions and so on of the console rather than having it end up split across the Price Check and Wii U Gen Discussion threads.

Did you Wii U arrive in the post this morning...or for those getting in stores at Midnight or tomorrow morning you can post your launch stories here too.

So Have at it

Edited by Mokong

I have nothing to add other than IT'S HERE BITCHES!!!!

And I'm in work right now...

So I will just stay sat at my desk with a constant erection until 5:15pm.

LONG. ASS. DAY. AHEAD.

Shop To have never let me down. I know a few of people have had a few problems with them during this launch, which is unfortunate, as for me they have always offered the best service for all my gaming needs.

I hope everyone who has ordered gets theirs today or tomorrow and we can all bask in the joy that is a new Nintendo console launch!!!!

: peace: :yay::heart::)

Was watching the Simpsons on Sky 1 last night, and an Asda advert said the new Dance... whatever... game for Wii U was available "in store now". Mistake?

MY copy of ZombiU will be arriving today, but the Wii U is coming tomorrow. Evil much?

I have 2 1/2 hours to go, I don't know why I'm so excited as there's no guarantee that it'll be waiting for me.

I'm just wishfully hoping that TNT tried to deliver and took it to the post office depot by my house, and that'll still be open by 2pm.

"in store now". Mistake?

Yeah, it definitely should've been "in stores now". Shameful, really.

Games are all here! Just need console and i'm set!

If all goes well, should be finishing at 6 to frantically run home, arms flailing around!

It would be a miracle if there was a Wii U waiting for me when i get home.

Mainly because i haven't bought one.

Pics time.

wiiu.jpg

Wii2-1.jpg

Just set it up now and have started downloading the update. It's painfully slow at the moment. :(

Pics time.

wiiu.jpg

Wii2-1.jpg

Just set it up now and have started downloading the update. It's painfully slow at the moment. :(

Be glad you aren't doing it tomorrow.

This is why I wish mine would hurry the fuck up :(

So I've got my Wii U, but I'm not gonna get a chance to play it till I get back from work later on, so here's my initial thoughts on the console & Gamepad based on a quick 30 min screw around in setting it up.

The console is shockingly small! It's barely any bigger than my Wii! :o. It's also about the same weight - incredible really!

The Gamepad's image quality is excellent! When actually using the Gamepad, the image looks pretty much as sharp as my 1080p 40" HDTV (from sitting 6 feet away). No complaints at all! :D

The Gamepad is also shockingly light! Feels about the same weight as a 360 controller, even though it's technically about 200 grams heavier; the weight distribution is perfect. Feels super comfy! :D (And this is coming from someone who finds the iPad to be uncomfortably heavy in use!)

The Gamepad's face buttons are probably most similar to the N64 controller's A & B buttons, or the original Classic Controller's face buttons - though with a slight rubbery texture. Feels responsive, with a nice balance between clicky and mushy (feels responsive like the former ones, but softer on the thumbs).

The D-Pad is pretty much the same as the one on the original Classic Controller (that's a very good thing BTW!), while the shoulder buttons are... different. Probably the closest comparison with the Gamepad's shoulder buttons can be found with the 3DS Circle Pad Pro. They feel pretty much the same, but with a bit more give - very nice, I like them a lot :)

The plus and minus buttons are almost identical to the ones on the Wii Remote, but made bigger and again with a bit more give, while the ancillary buttons like Home and TV are within easy reach and feel pretty much the same as the Home button on the Wii Remote.

The touch screen is super responsive as well. No issues with using my thumb on it in place of a stylus (speaking of which, I haven't had a chance to try out the stylus yet), it's at least as responsive as the 3DS screen, if not moreso - so don't fear about it being uncomfortable with using your thumbs, like some reviewers would have you believe :)

And the sticks, despite not getting to try it out with a game yet, feel tight and responsive. It's just as tight as a Nintendo analog stick always is and though it feels similar to the Dual Shock stick, due to the loss of the octagonal gate, puts it to shame in terms of responsiveness.

Volume is pretty good too. Granted I've only heard the sounds of the system setup and the system update sound (that's when I had to leave), but the volume seems to be at least on par with the original 3DS, so no complaints there :)

The audio quality coming from the Gamepad itself also seems nice, crisp and clear (of what little I could hear from the system setup!).

As for the Pro Controller... The buttons and sticks are all more or less the same as on the Gamepad (except for the plus & minus buttons, which are the same as the Wii remote and Classic Controller/CCPro). The controller itself is around the same weight as a Dual Shock 3 (making it significantly lighter than a 360 controller and a bit heavier than a Classic Controller Pro). I find that it's also easy to reach the face buttons when using the two sticks and it feels comfortable to hold in all positions (d-pad face buttons, d-pad right stick, left stick face buttons, left stick right stick), so I don't think that the stick placement is an issue, like some have feared :)

In terms of Gamepad range, it reaches almost every room in my house (including my bedroom!) just fine. The exceptions are only the storage rooms and a strange room where no WiFi signal can seem to reach no matter what (getting any sort of WiFi signal in there is impossible!). In all, the range is a bit less than my router, but not by much - so I reckon that most people who are hoping to play it around the house and on the crapper will be very happy :)

Overall, very happy with the controller design and all that. My only real complaint is that the Gamepad stand isn't very secure. It works like the 3DS charging cradle and is just as easy to take out of, but I reckon it might be a problem if you're playing a game like Pikmin 3 that uses both the Gamepad and the Wii Remote and you find yourself tapping the screen quite hard, knocking it out of place.

I've just been informed that my Wii U has arrived. Woop!

Will only have ten minutes to see it today though between leaving work and going to Fozzy + SOiL gig :(

Cancel or tell it not to check for updates and it'll download in the background!

Arrived around 11, all set up, now just doing the update (half done)

SN852894.jpg

JEALOUS RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I thought the update wouldn't be live till midnight, guess I was wrong.

How long it take ya?

*goes to shop to buy sleeping pills*

Update has been going for 40 minutes now

And it still going?

Think I might set up my video camera pointing at the gamepad watching the status bar go and a clock next to it....do a time lapse vid blog or something :D

I can't believe that this day has arrived....

thats+_3e603130575dfc7ce64b656f41b37f07.gif

6429395-380x221.jpeg

Edited by -Dem0-

Arrived around 11, all set up, now just doing the update (half done)

SN852894.jpg

More importantly, is that the Sky Sports News channel number on your Virgin Media tv box? Would love to see a Jim White deadline day style coverage of everyone waiting for/getting their Wii U... :D