NEurope
bryanee

Nintendo 2DS

Battery life is better than original

Whoa, a whole 30 minutes extra playing a 3DS game... Best pre order NAAOW.

Doesn't look awkward to hold, I think this is going to surprise a lot of people when they eventually get to hold it.

The original 3DS didn't look that awkward to hold, but after a Cup in Mario Kart 7 you start getting pins and needles in your little/ring fingers.

Taken from the ONM page. Bullshit has been bolded:

You don't need one but the chances are that some of you will get one anyway.

Whether by design or by accident, the 2DS has a strong retro feel to it. The White & Red design in particular smacks of Game & Watch, the Famicom and the limited-edition Famicom GBA. I might never even switch it on but I would really like to own one, so that says a lot.

I wouldn't want to make sweeping conclusions based on a short hands-on session but I think the 2DS is going to do really well for Nintendo.

It's available at a mass market price and boasts a really pleasing design. It's the machine that will sway parents into moving on from the DS generation.

Personally, as a hardcore gamer, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I love my 3DS XL. I love the bigger screens and the design. I will never go back to a standard 3DS. But the Red & White 2DS is something that I've convinced myself I need. I don't even known why. It just looks great and I need it in my life. Damn you Nintendo!!!

:blank:

igdlr3G2iyafR.gif

After watching that a few times, its not that bad.

Doesn't look awkward to hold, I think this is going to surprise a lot of people when they eventually get to hold it.

Placing the analogue stick so high up seemed like a really bad idea at first. I mean, they could theoretically have made the top screen fill nearly the full width of the console. But seeing that, I think it may be way more ergonomic than the current 3DS, which I consider to be too small to be comfortable. The shoulder buttons look like a massive improvement. Seriously, the guy who designed those tiny, noisy and poorly placed ones on the current one should really get off the cinnamon soda.

I don't get the outrage regarding this device. Yes, it lacks the second analogue stick, but it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. It looks like a tablet, and is thus less intimidating/geeky than a true portable console. It's cheap, which is perfect in these dire times, espescially considering how many parents keep on buying tablets for their kids, stupidly hoping that their kids will be satisfied by F2P games... without actually buying anything in the F2P games.

The main problem is that, yet again, the name. It's called a 2DS and looks very different from a 3DS, thus implying that it's a brand new system. In my eyes, parents who buy this because of it's low price point, will be running around all over the place, desperate to find a shelf with 2DS-games.

Glad to see Nintendo getting their hardware development team to redesign a system that is doing well rather than overhauling the Wii U design to relaunch the thing like they did with the original DS.

I hate that Nintendo gets tarred with the Fisher Price brush all of the time but this justifies that. It's a cynical money making move.

Don't forget that the 3-5 hours battery life for the original 3DS is with 3D turned on, and Nintendo claimed that it would be 25% better with the 3D turned off.

So this likely has the very same battery as the original 3DS and not the improved battery form the XL.

Thank God it's fairly cheap. Any more than that and I'd really have thought this was the beginning of the end for Nintendo.

The original 3DS didn't look that awkward to hold, but after a Cup in Mario Kart 7 you start getting pins and needles in your little/ring fingers.

Taken from the ONM page. Bullshit has been bolded:

:blank:

I believe you're highly mistaken if you don't think this'll do well.

As a concept, it is brilliant, especially with the timing. It's the name and the unusual aesthetics that are the issue. However, it's cheap, and it gets rid of one barrier preventing parents buying the console. It will do well

I've just noticed that the card slot isn't central... it's off to the side :/ that sort of thing would bug me! :p

Just as well it's not aimed at proper gamers I suppose ;) because these small things matter!

Fire everyone in the system design team. Everyone.

Everyone?

EVEEEEERRRRYOOOONE?

I wish Nintendo would stop going all George Lucas on their products and either stop releasing hardware revisions when the original one was fine, or get it right the first time (DS Lite).

A cynic would say that you shouldn't buy Nintendo handhelds at launch and just wait for the second/third revision.

I believe you're highly mistaken if you don't think this'll do well.

I dunno, I felt rather confident the Wii Mini was going to suck too. Not sure if I was right on that as I haven't heard anyone, anyone talk about it. I was just waiting for the news to hit Yahoo so I could notice it on the way to my emails.

But guys this thing is the cutest little console, I love it! The lack of 3d doesn't bother me, I think this is really a great idea for kids or people a little tight on money! The name however is the biggest fail ever, massive brand confusion incoming.

*parent walks into game store*

"So, the 3DS, is that a 3D version of the Nintendo DS"

Assistant: "No, it's a 3D version of the Nintendo 2DS."

"Oh, the Nintendo DS isn't a 2D DS?"

Assistant: "It's a 2D DS, but not a 2DS."

"My son said he wants a 3D Nintendo DS."

Assistant: "You can't get a 3D Nintendo DS but you can get a Nintendo 3DS. He might want a Nintendo 2DS too."

*parent walks into game store*

"So, the 3DS, is that a 3D version of the Nintendo DS"

Assistant: "No, it's a 3D version of the Nintendo 2DS."

"Oh, the Nintendo DS isn't a 2D DS?"

Assistant: "It's a 2D DS, but not a 2DS."

"My son said he wants a 3D Nintendo DS."

Assistant: "You can't get a 3D Nintendo DS but you can get a Nintendo 3DS. He might want a Nintendo 2DS too."

3ds-it-prints-money.gif

This is perfect for my family needs!

My wife loves Layton and my Daughter likes "I did it Mum" etc. I would like to play the odd 3DS game.

But... £140 is too much to pay for a few Layton games and children <6 shouldn't have the 3D-ness (and with no lock I'd panic like an over-protective parent).

But if the cheaper stores sell this for ~£95 BANG one sale right here!

My wife loves Layton and my Daughter likes "I did it Mum" etc. I would like to play the odd 3DS game.

But... £140 is too much to pay for a few Layton games and children <6 shouldn't have the 3D-ness (and with no lock I'd panic like an over-protective parent).

and right there is Nintendo's market :D

honestly at this point i'd think were more likely to see a super premium 3DS console revision be the next iteration than an improved form factor

I really want to hold it and see what it feels like.

It looks majorly uncomfortable though.

I do think it's a pretty neat idea for the kiddies though. Especially as it launches same time as X&Y.

As always, the white looks loads better than the black. I guess Europe are getting the black then. :laughing:

Consider me at least interested if this bad boys is more comfy than the XL.

Well the baseline seems to be £110, though ShopTo say its RRP is £120, so we should be gold

Jeremy Parish:

"Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it."

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move