NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Wii Custom Soundtrack Confirmed

Over the last few days there's been substantial buzz around the possibility of the Nintendo Wii to allow for custom soundtracks for players via the system's SD card slot. Seen during the Nintendo Fusion Tour, gamers had been reporting that an option in Excite Truck allowed for users to implement their own music, though whenever attempting to enter the option screen they were promptly interrupted by Nintendo reps. Now that we have the final boxed copy of the game in hand, however, there's nothing holding the secret back. Excite Truck utilizes music customization.

The following is taken directly from the final Excite Truck instruction booklet:

Excite Truck allows you to listen to your personal MP3 music files during the game. By inserting an SD Card into your Wii console, you can choose the music you want to hear.

How to Select Music Tracks

1. Insert your SD Card into the Wii console.

2. Begin or continue a game and enter any race. Before the race begins, press + on the Wii Remote to access the Sound Options screen.

3. Select the "SD Card" option.

4. Any MP3 files available on your SD Card will be displayed (100 songs maximum). To choose a specific song for the race you are about to enter, highlight that song. You can also choose to randomize all songs shown for that course. Highlighting "Default" will play the standard in-game music.

5. Press 1 to return to the Sound Options menu, then 1 again to return to the pre-race screen. You can also use the "Sound" command at any point during the race to change the current song.

No word has been given if any other Wii titles will be implementing music customization, though if Excite Truck is any indication, expect to see the option included in future first party Nintendo titles. More as it develops.

IGN.

Unlucky dude, somebody beat you to it in the ExciteTruck thread.

However, i will leave this open for others to discuss.

I'd like to see third party titles, racers such as Need for Speed Carbon using this function.

Maybe even a sports game like Madden? Or Fifa. That would be pretty amazing to play against someone else and having some awesome music rocking in the background, instead of the awful commentary we're usually treated to.

Bah! :sad:

Okay, lets talk which other games might use the custom soundtracks.

First party Nintendo efforts more likely than any other games released, at least early on in the Wiis life until the familirisation phase of the systems hardware and capabilities from the developers perspective is accomplished. Two Possible Candidates Include [Low On Ideas]:

Disaster: Day Of Crisis - Mabye if there are driving elements in the game where you're in a car and you can literally change the radio station even though you're in a life or death situation.

Super Smash Bros Brawl - But I guess there wouldn't that much point in the features inclusion though due to the awesome orchestrated music that will feature in the game like its predecessor.

I remember Dante posting a screenshot last week i believe (may have been earlier), saying there was custom sountracks in Excitetruck! So well done Dante you were correct!

This will probably be a cool feature..

I wonder if you can rip built in tracks from Excite Trcuk to your SD

This will probably be a cool feature..

I wonder if you can rip built in tracks from Excite Trcuk to your SD

eh he he he... very probably NOT!

but it is a cool feature.. works really well with racers as I know from my dusty xbox.. i even copied music from Conker's Bad fur day (N64 version) over on the xbox and played it while playing an xbox game... hmmmm.. i don't know why but it just made me laugh

Decent feature this will be, customised soundtracks, can adjust according to season, christmas is coming up so I might just put some released christmas songs as part of my soundtrack, although it would be really odd coming out of a speeding truck jumping off hills and avoiding natural disasters.

Excite truck is looking amazing, if it had been released at launch i would definitely have bought it with the console, the ability to use your own soundtrack is a nice feature.

I can see it now, playing excite truck with james blunt singing his heart out in the background! (That was a joke! Linkin Park all the way!)

This is so 5 years ago.

But yeah, its ok. Although i would of prefered to store them on a hard drive, and not on an SD card.

This is so 5 years ago.

But yeah, its ok. Although i would of prefered to store them on a hard drive, and not on an SD card.

Wii is so 5 years ago in every respect except the controller and maybe perhaps the virtual console.

Wii is so 5 years ago in every respect except the controller and maybe perhaps the virtual console.

Oh, I agree. It may not be about horsepower, but then again, excluding the wiimote, its not about new tech either.

True it can be done on the 360 aswell. Hell i was doing it last night playing Pro Evo listening to Asian kung fu generation from my HDD plugged in.

But this is great news. I hope the likes of Madden and and maybe Wario Ware, Sonic, Wii play, rayman will have this feature. It woudl be a nice option.

Really exciting news. I wouldn't want my own songs in a game like Zelda, but something like Tony Hawk would be perfect for this.

Awesomeness, not quite as good as the 360's wireless broadcasting.. but it's good enough seeing as this is just a games machine.

Custom Monkey Ball soundtrack in progress.

That's awesome.

Especially when I think about NFS I definitely want my own tracks to replace the rap-tracks.

However I think not all games should offer it. Sometimes the music adds so much to the atmosphere and custom tracks would destroy that. For instance the music from LylatWars or Mario 64 is still in my head.

But for sports and racing games this is a very cool feature.

Let's only hope that is doesn't end in: add your own music or listen to some crappy, effortless, unimaginative tracks we came up five minutes before the game went gold.

I think any modern day console should have this feature anyway. Hopefully every game where it could work will use it. Why the 100 songs maximum though? Surely if you had a 2 gig SD card you could fit loads on. I must have about 600 songs on my Xbox. To be honest I doubt I can be arsed to transfer all my music again.

Kudos to Dante who figured it out a long time ago. Beck and Excitetruck ftw! Is ist just games that want to use this feature. I bet it is as I doubt nintendo would authorise any soundtrack to zelda. While wii sports should use it.

I think any modern day console should have this feature anyway. Hopefully every game where it could work will use it. Why the 100 songs maximum though? Surely if you had a 2 gig SD card you could fit loads on. I must have about 600 songs on my Xbox. To be honest I doubt I can be arsed to transfer all my music again.

Then merge 100 albums together and have them play as one song.

Ah that is very clever

i hope they release an update via wii connect 24 to allow us to have a custom song on the wii menue

I think you will break your Wii when it tries to load that "song".

Anyway, very cool feature in general. I'm not that interested in Excite Trucks though. And the same way I don't download ROMs, I don't download MP3s, so I don't have any. That said, I hope I one day have a nice vinyl collection and the hardware to convert them to MP3s, and a good sequel to Extreme G, where I can play my own techno and electro tracks. If there won't be a new Extreme G, I guess F-Zero will have to do.

Sign in to follow this