NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Slaggis

DVD Player (play movies through one with a USB stick)

Is this possible?

Is there DVD player that would alow me to play movies on it by plugging a usb stick into it with .avi files etc on it? Then being able to watch those .avi movies on my tv.

There are quite a few on Amazon, I had one that did such a thing for £30

Can't remember the make

Other than a USB dvd player or a USB tv, are there any better/cheaper methods to get AVIs onto your TV on a regular basis? I currently have my PC hooked up to my HDTV, which is great for playing video, I'm even using it right now on my sofa to type this. But ideally I want to move my PC away from the HDTV yet still watch some .avi files through the TV.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, although the link conzer got looks like an ideal solution for you :)

Buy a divx/xvid capable dvd player, or convert to regular DVD. They're just about the only other options.

Ugh, tried that, it was awful. What I got was an ugly square flash version of my avi movies that loaded slowly and ran jerkily.

In that case, just bought the top result from Conzer's link :D

You know if that plays other region dvds?

If it does I want it.

Ugh, tried that, it was awful. What I got was an ugly square flash version of my avi movies that loaded slowly and ran jerkily.

wasn't just me then, i blamed my computer....

You know if that plays other region dvds?

If it does I want it.

I'll let you know when it arrives, could be tomorrow, most likely early next week. I have a few Region 1 disks I can try :)

The SIGMATEK - XS-700 Shorty? Looks pretty tempting actually, would be just the sort of thing that I'm after myself and probably a worthy investment for just £35. Anyone know what it's like reading off SD cards, and if it scales the video to TV screens without any sort of issues(does it output at 50 ot 60hz, cos my TVs are old)?

It arrived, but with no adapter. It's from France, and they explained that it would have a 2 pin plug. I haven't been out and bought an adapter yet because I think I'm supposed to be recieving one from them for free. So yea... it's taking a long time to find out if it's good! The reviews are quite positive though. Came with typical composite AV cable.

Just bumping this thread because I want to say that I would not reccomend buying this. I have got one and regret it, I will be returning it.

Problems:

Does not play from NTFS HDDs at all

Poor upscaling

Does not play all xvid/divx encoded mpeg4 files

Goes out of sync occasionaly

Jerky playback with some encodings

Ugly model with flimsy disk tray

Ships without the adapter it says will be provided (French 2 pin plug only)

Bad customer service

Shipped in what seemed to be a heat sealed black plastic bag

In fact not only will I return this product but I will never use pixmania again....

All the reviews on amazon and pixmania's site are positive but if you google it, almost everyone who has bought one is complaining. Pixmania are obviously only publishing the positive feedback.

Excuse the old bump, but now I'm back on the internet I'm still quite interested in a dvd player what could play .avi(DivX/XviD) files off, and wondering if anyone's actually found one that's good for it? I'm a little dissappointed to hear about this one turning out crap :(

I found this one, that says it's DivX 6 compatible, but doesn't explicitly say it'll play .avi files off a disc?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-SD270E-Multi-region-Capable-Progressive/dp/tech-data/B000NY1E7Q/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&qid=1195307533&sr=8-1

Nevermind, there's actually a review by someone who had the pixmania one and found it terrible, then tried this with DivX files. If it plays DivX files, it'll play XviD, right?

My plan is to buy a Mac Mini and use it as a:

iPhoto

iTunes Server

Media Player

DVD Player

File Server

You're probably not prepared to pay that much (and if the other computers in your house aren't Macs you won't get most of the stuff that I'll be using mine for) but it will defiantly work for what you want it to do.

Sign in to follow this