NEurope
mcj metroid

Sonic Unleashed

I'd rather see a a Wii specific Sonic game that refined the controls etc of SATSR than a downgraded version of this as an afterthought. Also when will Sega ditch the trite 'story' elements and bring Sonic back to the sublime essence of what made him so great in the first place. Imagine a Secret Rings style game for Wii with improved controls/gamplay and titavated graphics with classic Sonic levels!!

THey make the weirdest decisions ever..lets realease phantasy star on-line exclusive to gamecube:)

stupid lol

PSO wasn't Gamecube exclusive, it was on the Xbox as well.

PSO wasn't Gamecube exclusive, it was on the Xbox as well.
PSO3 was though.

Because PSO1&2 sold more on GC than in other systems.

LoL i was thinking this too. No wonder people don't like the characters when SEGA treat them like condoms.

Yep....I mean, I love Bean the Dynamite:D

It's not like they wouldn't be able to fit him in somewhere, no-one else uses explosives:indeed:

I'd rather see a a Wii specific Sonic game that refined the controls etc of SATSR than a downgraded version of this as an afterthought. Also when will Sega ditch the trite 'story' elements and bring Sonic back to the sublime essence of what made him so great in the first place. Imagine a Secret Rings style game for Wii with improved controls/gamplay and titavated graphics with classic Sonic levels!!
I rather see both.

Then again this game is clearly heavily influenced with secret rings, so it's like "Sonic 360/PS3 flopped, and the Wii one sold 1.2 million, what do we do? multiplatform!"

Feels like we lost a exclusive game, and if anything... we are now with 480p versus 720p instantly, so that's a extra for them... so (while not really caring about HD) I demand extra content.

PSO on the Cube was amazing. I played on it all the time and clocked 700+ hours on it. In my top 5 Cube games.

But assuming it is multi-platform, SEGA owe us extra stuff anyway cause of game sales, we saved Sonic :heh:

But assuming it is multi-platform, SEGA owe us extra stuff anyway cause of game sales, we saved Sonic :heh:
I also hope they apply self shadowing and envyronment shadowing in Sonic's model, they're clearly doing it there and it's not a thing that hard to do, now... they'd have to do it differently on the Wii than in PS3/X360, because the architectures are different.

I don't want them "cutting graphic techniques" on the Wii to make the X360/PS3 version look better as in "we did some effort on the HD's"; the game as is could easily run on the Wii... so don't slack off Sega.

So yeah, if anything I want the extra mile, just a port is not alright.

I also hope they apply self shadowing and envyronment shadowing in Sonic's model, they're clearly doing it there and it's not a thing that hard to do, now... they'd have to do it differently on the Wii than in PS3/X360, because the architectures are different.

I don't want them "cutting graphic techniques" on the Wii to make the X360/PS3 version look better as in "we did some effort on the HD's"; the game as is could easily run on the Wii... so don't slack off Sega.

So yeah, if anything I want the extra mile, just a port is not alright.

So it's definetly confirmed for wii then? Well in that case I completely agree with the above post but this game almost marks a first for a multiplatform for this type of game.. Should be interesting although I still don't hold out much hope for it. I said the same for sega superstars tennis but I suppose one day I will have to be proven wrong.

So it's definetly confirmed for wii then? Well in that case I completely agree with the above post but this game almost marks a first for a multiplatform for this type of game.. Should be interesting although I still don't hold out much hope for it. I said the same for sega superstars tennis but I suppose one day I will have to be proven wrong.
Seems like it is; truth to be told the game has artistical direction in place, but it's nothing technically for the HD consoles, and even if it was on the Wii... seems more optimized for speed than graphical detail at place.

Multiplatform of this kind is good, showing that the Wii can also cope with it, and the visuals are not "that" bad either; but... in this particular case seems like we lost a exclusive unlike, for example if RE5 was to be made on the Wii where we would gain a game we would otherwise, not have.

Seems like it is; truth to be told the game has artistical direction in place, but it's nothing technically for the HD consoles, and even if it was on the Wii... seems more optimized for speed than graphical detail at place.

Multiplatform of this kind is good, showing that the Wii can also cope with it, and the visuals are not "that" bad either; but... in this particular case seems like we lost a exclusive unlike, for example if RE5 was to be made on the Wii where we would gain a game we would otherwise, not have.

well the way I see is at least you have a better chance of getting great graphics...surely downgrading a 360/ps3 game graphically has to be better than upgrding a ps2/psp game for wii?

well the way I see is at least you have a better chance of getting great graphics...surely downgrading a 360/ps3 game graphically has to be better than upgrding a ps2/psp game for wii?
Of course, but the HD images already seem downgraded to a point where the Wii can run it comfortably, so I'm saying that, they should go that extra mile (if it can be called a extra mile) to make it a perfect port on the few nice looking effects this title has.

Pedro the visuals are probably at that type of level so they can have tons of shit going on onscreen at INCREDIBLY high speeds and not have a hitch in frame rate. If you take that level of visuals and speed, have bunches of enemies and objects at points and try to keep it at a solid 60 frames, it's not going to happen on Wii.

Pedro the visuals are probably at that type of level so they can have tons of shit going on onscreen at INCREDIBLY high speeds and not have a hitch in frame rate. If you take that level of visuals and speed, have bunches of enemies and objects at points and try to keep it at a solid 60 frames, it's not going to happen on Wii.
Meh, Galaxy runs at 60 fps solid, with lots of stuff going on. The first thing I thought when sawing the video was "oh, they copied the Galaxy look and feel" - I actually thought it was a good looking Wii game. It's only impossible when you count in Sega's talent.

The coverart art was called ONM_Cover.

ONM = Official Nintendo Magazine?

Sega Superstars Tennis Wii

sega-superstars-tennis-20080110020044881_640w.jpg

Sega Superstars Tennis 360/PS3

sega-superstars-tennis-20080110015159454_640w.jpg

Check out the size of this level.

Could Wii handle this?

119q9lj.jpg

I'm with Jimbo. Environments are way to busy, too many filters and the speed dependency would need 60fps. This is not a Wii game. I understand the points about Galaxy that people are saying but remember what the last game looked like. Mediocre texturing and hardly any filters? I doubt that Sega are gonna be able to pull such an engine out of their ass for the Wii.

Could Wii handle this?

119q9lj.jpg

Regarding the Sega Superstars Tennis... that's a highly compressed beta screenshot of the Wii build... The game turned out to be crap, but this is a fairer comparison:

sega-superstars-tennis-20080227034613710_640w.jpg

sega-superstars-tennis-screens-20080228100301098_640w.jpg

Less resolution, sure, but it's accurate enough, it's practically the same stuff running, only darker, jaggier and well, not HD.

As for that image... it's a landscape image that probably never appears in the game being rendered like that, kinda like in the trailer when you see those shots showing the level from afar and clearly lagging in the 15/frames range or something, they're clearly showing bigger environments than they plan to ingame on expense of their own framerate. Also bare in mind that, the team in question probably didn't have the same budget, nor previous experience on the Wii hardware; if this is coming from Sonic Team (or Ex-UGA within them)... they do.

Even then... notice that those buildings are very low-poly and often don't even have detailed windows as in, only textured (that can be seen perfectly in close-ups and even in the bigger high res image as can be noticed even in the smaller one), the white is actually a great choice for this town too, because that disguises the edge transitions between facing polygons, otherwise showing they're kinda blunt. Instead this only really pops up in still images and with transitions to other colors, such as blue (sky) and green (grass) that aren't even typical shots from the angles the game runs.

Plant textures are just plain crossed textures in there too, might look good from afar... but are not really detailed and get repeated a lot.

142zklf.jpg

For example.

If anything... the game is looking good due to artistic direction, not because it pushes whatsoever.

Here more proof:

mj1zf9.jpg

see the blurry spot where the tree should be? I bet it'll pop one in there... as will the rest of the environment that comes after that "obstacle" that blocks the view further; because the game is being streamed and not running all the environment at place (despite being low-poly).

All I see is a nice looking low polygon game that could be made on the Wii; or even... stuck between last gen standard definition graphics... and next gen. And yes, I'm taking into account the 60 frames.

If there's one area where the Wii is pretty solid... that would have to be polygons per second, sure it won't give the HD's a run for their money... but this game is not really pushing that.

Could Wii handle this?

119q9lj.jpg

Looking at that screenshot, you can easily see that the buildings are actually very simple-looking, it just has some fancy blur and lighting effects to make it look prettier. So basically, yes, the Wii could actually handle something like that :heh:

Its happening on a Wii near you:

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) – SEGA® of America and SEGA of Europe Ltd., today announced that everyone’s favourite hedgehog will be breaking new ground yet maintaining his roots, in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed™. Developed by renowned studio Sonic Team, the latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise, will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic. The game is set for release later this year and will be available for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PLAYSTATION®2.

Sonic Unleashed is built on a powerful new “Hedgehog Engine”, which introduces seamless 3D to classic 2D camera transitions, whilst delivering a rich and expansive world with multiple paths to choose from. Under development for three years, the Hedgehog Engine produces a visually rich next generation look and feel with elements of classic Sonic gameplay mechanics. The Hedgehog engine will help re-define the gameplay experience for Sonic fans and newcomers to the franchise alike.

HELL YEAH

Now the only question is, will it look like crap on the wii or just the same ???

Great news its for the Wii afterall. Just better look good then i'll be happy.

PS2 port it is then! :hmm:

Yeah. Sega and other 3rd parties: "Lets save money by making a PS2 port because Wii cant handle a downgrade of XBOX360/PS3 and what is a GC?"

they're SOOOOOO not seeing my money if Wii gets a PS2 port.

The lack of respect from third party's is completely ridiculous.

Yeah. Sega and other 3rd parties: "Lets save money by making a PS2 port because Wii cant handle a downgrade of XBOX360/PS3 and what is a GC?"
Wii could handle that, they just take us for granted after SatSC sold 1.2 million.

arghhh.

EDIT: trailer, in second 53 to 55, LOADS of pop up. And they can also do texture tricks there like not texturing those objects at distance and fading those in later, they're white anyway. it's not like you'll see detail in white textures from a mile away.