NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The GameCube...or rather, the GREATCUBE!

We've good Dreamcast and N64 appreciate threads, but what about our old friend the GameCube?

I've spent the morning playing F Zero GX. I can't believe it. How is it possible for it to look just as amazing or just as fast and fluid as it did years ago? It really is a fantastic technical achievement. I've been in awe of it this morning. So beautiful.

I can't think of a single better racer on a Nintendo system. ExciteTruck was incredible, but GX is on a different level. Mario Kart (any of them) can't even touch this.

I've been using my trust Wavebird...hnnnnnngggggggg. Why were the GameCube controller wires so abnormally short?! I've ordered some controller extension cables, meaning we can now play Melee, GX and anything else for that matter in bed, on a Sunday morning. :D

F-Zero GX is perhaps the only game that makes me feel like a totall badass when I'm playing it.

The music,

The Style,

The SPEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

It's like I'm right there being totally fucking cool, and when someone walks in the room they will see me being totally fucking cool!

Either I've not really been paying attention or this is just a total coincidence but ever since I bought a Gamecube 7 days ago, it seems like everybody's been playing it or talking about it. Weird. Anyway, I played Pikmin for the first time ever and it's bloody brilliant! I love it so much!

I really want Luigi's Mansion, SSBM, Super Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures, Resident Evils, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and F Zero but damn, they're so expensive!

I took a handful of game si want to play so I'll get a card and keep my Wii out for that: F-Zero GX for my need for speed, another run through Eternal Darkness and maybe finally finish both Viewtiful Joe & Chibi Robo. Man, the GC really had some stone-cold classics in it's day.

I've been browsing ebay buying old GC games for the past two days. Stuff I used to have when i had my gamecube and other games I never really got a chane to play. I had a load of Resident Evil games on my gamecube. code veronica, 0, 1 and 2 I played through them but I sold my gamecube before really getting into RE2. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes was good, again never really got into it before selling my old gamecube. I still have it in a plastic crate in my closet though.

Just looked at my GameCube "collection":

20140420_004558.jpg

@Fierce_LiNk By making me take that picture you actually made me buy Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corrpution just now.

I remember buying the console with Starfox Adventures. I played the shit out of that game and I may be one of the few who actually really likes it.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Mario Sunshine was the second game I got for that wonderful piece of technology and by god, it blew my god damn mind.

It's my go-to-game for the summer, which reminds me: I will have to play this again soon!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And then came that beast of a game called Super Fucking Smash Bros. Melee.

Hours and hours of playtime, thousands of VS matches, friendships getting stronger, friendships on the verge of destruction, murder threats...

Just look at this. Beautiful.

OH THE FEELS.

Thanks to the GameCube I have come to enjoy - no - LOVE the Metal Gear Solid series. At that time Twin Snakes was the greatest 'thing' I have ever witnessed.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker including The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest...Just read it again and you know the greatness these two games have achieved.

Nothing more to say.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

F-Zero GX

Everyone who played this knows how awesome it is. Fast, intense, hard as shit and - as @Fused King so fittingly put it - fucking cool.

And dat OST.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mario Kart: Double Dash, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Mario Party 5 and Soul Calibur II were pure, unadulterated fun. Local multiplayer at its finest (SSBM has the top spot of course).

One of the greatest RPGs I have ever played: Baten Kaitos. I loved it, I will definitely play it again.

That plot-twist. OMFG.

Also: Best RPG-OST ever. Nothing can compete.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

My first Tales game. Tales of Symphonia.

It's perfect. All there is to say...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

A year ago I bought Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Haven't played it, yet.

And for me...the pinnacle of the/my GameCube-era.

Metroid Prime

I am ashamed to say...I have never finished it.

But don't worry, leave the pistols in your pockets...I will start again and I will finish it. Followed by the two sequels.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

So many memories. This was probably my favourite "generation" (so just imagine this post was also in the Your Favourite Generation thread).

tl;dr The GameCube is fucking awesome.

The Gamecube was AWESOME :yay:

I remember the first time I ever got my hands on the controller. It was one of the demo units in GAME and although there was nothing to play, I immediately ran over to feel what I would mainly be holding for the next few years following the N64. It felt so good, particularly after seeing images in magazines that made me believe it was considerably bigger than it actually was. It melted into my hands perfectly :hehe: It has fallen out of favour with me a little in recent years but I was very fond of it back at the time :heh:

Despite my love for the console, though, it provided the weakest 3D Mario game to date in Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart: Double Dash probably had the weakest courses in that particular series. Both were still excellent games, but it certainly affects my overall feelings towards the console, especially when having to consider what my favourite generation was in the other thread : peace:

The lack of Pro Evolution Soccer was majorly painful considering the fact that we had to put up with a significantly weakened ISS :hmm:ISS 2 was actually my first Gamecube game and I had a lot of fun with it but it was always inferior to the N64 games and it was heartbreaking to see how good the alternative was on PS2! I eventually picked up Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution in 2005 and would consider it one of the best football games I've played :bowdown:

Disappointments aside, though, games such as the astonishing F-Zero GX, glorious Wave Race: Blue Storm and exceptional Metroid Prime made the Gamecube a killer console. It's also easy to forget now that despite the Wii eventually getting the definitive version of the game, Resident Evil 4 debuted on the Gamecube where I had an absolute blast throughout :love:

Add to those Luigi's Mansion, 1080 Avalanche, Burnout 2: Point of Impact, Ikaruga, Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Mario Smash Football, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Pikmin, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Splinter Cell, Starfox Adventures, Super Smash Bros Melee, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, WarioWare Inc: Mega Party Games, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Soul Calibur II, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and the underrated Starfox Assault and you've got an outstanding console :bouncy:

My collection.

image_zps2fc371d7.jpg

I have to say, even though I thought the Cube was great I probably enjoyed and got more out of the PS2 in that generation. To a certain extent I probably had more fun with the Xbox as well, once Halo 2 hit and Live was up and running.

Man, remember what a relaxing place to be the GC system menu was?

You can always count me in for a little Gamecube love. It really is awesome, I pity the people who overlooked it.

There really isn't time to give every game it's just praise, but I think the holy trinity of Metroid Prime, Windwaker and Resident Evil 4 sit on top of the pile.

I still play Winning eleven 6 to this day, it's probably the game I've played more than any other. I reckon I've played around 400 seasons on it. Not sure I should be proud of that or concerened, lol.

And I'm also a fan of Starfox Adventures. Them graphics.

My current collection:

Zelda: Windwaker

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Super Mario Sunshine

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Kart Double Dash!!

F-Zero GX

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Resident Evil

Resident Evil Zero

Resident Evil Code Veronica X

Resident Evil 4

Chibi Robo

Starfox Adventures

Winning Eleven 6 FE

Paper Mario 2

Pikmin

Mario Smash Football

Mario Power Tennis

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

Timesplitters 2

Timesplitters Future Perfect

Super Monkey Ball

Super Monkey Ball 2

Eternal Darkness

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

X Men Legends

Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time

Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within

Prince Of Persia: Two Thrones

Beyond Good And Evil

Killer 7

Viewtiful Joe

Soul Calibur 2

The Simpsons: Hit And Run

007: Everything Or Nothing

From Russia With Love

Second Sight

Rogue Leader 2: Rougue Squadron

Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike

Worms 3D

Enter The Matrix

Metal Arms: Glitch In The System

I also have Jungle Beat and Pikmin 2 on the Wii.

Edited by pratty

The gamecube was brilliant. My favourite titles were Pokemon Collosuem, XD Gale Of Darkness, Donkey Konga and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I loved the GameCube. It is easily my favourite Nintendo console.

Metroid Prime was THE game for me!

[quote=drahkon;1673644

I remember buying the console with Starfox Adventures. I played the shit out of that game and I may be one of the few who actually really likes it.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

It's biggest problem- in my opinion - was Nintendo' s influence. The StarFox brand actually dragged the title down, contrived, painfully so. I can't think of one Starfox addition that made sense in that world. There was much to like in it but as soon as you got a sense of how great this could have been along comes Fox and fucks it up.

The game gets a bad rap but there's a hint of greatness to it.

The Gamecube was such a great console.

Super Smash Bros. Melee was amazing by itself, but Soul Calibur II also graced the console, and it's one of the best fighting games I've ever seen. And WWE: Day of Reckoning is better than a lot of other wrestling games.

Metroid Prime and Wind Waker are two wonderful games, some of the best single player experiences of all time. Also, Ocarina of Time: Master Quest. Fuck yeah.

Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia are brilliant RPGs. Baten Kaitos has its qualities, as well.

F-Zero GX is amazeballs. I mean, Jesus, all it needs is online and it is perfect.

Further honourable mentions to Super Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime 2, Starfox Adventures, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Pikmin and Resident Evil 4. All of them being worthy in their own right.

That's not even mentioning some games I never had the opportunity to play: Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door, Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion, for example.

And that's just games. Can I say that the Gamecube had a very, very amusing start-up time? Or one of the best controllers of all time? Brilliant, brilliant console, hard to put into words.

My views are that it was shit when it was a current gen console, mainly due to the slow trickle of releases that I was actually interested in. Now that it's a retro console and I can play all the highlights without waiting months between them, I actually quite like it.

I'm currently playing Starfox Adventures, with Skies of Arcadia, Zelda and PSO to be played after.

My views are that it was shit when it was a current gen console, mainly due to the slow trickle of releases that I was actually interested in. Now that it's a retro console and I can play all the highlights without waiting months between them, I actually quite like it.

This is whats happening with the Wii U at the moment, and it kind of annoys me some lack the hindsight. Its easy to look back in awe now that the whole catalogue has been released.

The early RPG drought really hit me, and there was still a feeling of lacking third party support - as in getting, Final Fantasy X and not 'Crytsal Chronicles', MGS2&3 and not the remake.

Im going to use this space to praise one of the most underated games of that era PN.03 - once you accept it for what it is it was a joy to play with style like no other.

Big shout out to REmake and RE0 for doing it right - amazing remake with stellar originals.

Pikmin 2 was solid, and Im thankful we got Melee so early.

Also big props to the rare GB Player - could do with something similar right about now... If that happened we wouldn't ever need to ask for a Wii U Pokemon RPG.

Edited by King_V

What a brillant console the Gamecube was (and still is i might add). I was given the choice back in 2002/2003 for which i wanted. It was either a PS2 or a Gamecube, i chose the Gamecube and i don't regret it. Ok, there were droughts and that was expected. But the games i played certainly made this console memorable.

My current Gamecube collection isn't a heck of a lot, which are

· Super Smash Brothers: Melee

· Super Mario Sunshine

· Wind Waker

· Prince of Persia: Trilogy

· Mario Kart: Double Dash

It would have been less, if not non-existent. But i saved these from being sold by the folk once i got an Xbox 360 back in 2006. They had a habit of doing this, and i have no idea why. I'm in the process of rebuilding the collection with some of the games i had before (and that i can remember).

During my experiences of playing Gamecube, i played some absolute classic games. Which included the brilliant F-Zero GX from Sega. As it's been said, all it needs is a solid online mode and it would have been perfect. Other games i've played include Pikmin which is an excellent game for the beginning of a great series, Metroid Prime. Again, such a brilliant game from an unknown company known as Retro Studios. Game looked fantastic, especially the drifts. Luigi's Mansion was one of them underrated gems of this era. And of course, not forgetting WWE Day of Reckoning which was a top quality wrestling game, beats the previous outings on Nintendo (close to beating No Mercy, but not quite)

It was nice to see Snake on the Cube in the form of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. If anyone had the chance to play this, it was nice to play it on controls which felt comfortable. I like it, not sure whom else did. Rare's outing before being sold to Microsoft came in the form of Starfox Adventures. I didn't like it too much, it had Rare on the box. But was lacking in gameplay terms what i liked about Rare. Which was a shame, but that is how it was i guessed.

Of course, i'm not forgetting about Wind Waker. As it's been said, Wind Waker with it's graphics suited the Gamecube to the tee. Super Mario Sunshine. Nice gmae, didn't like Fludd too much, but was satisfied with the game as a whole. Mario Kart: Double Dash. Brilliant co-op version of the series, again like Smash Brothers i spent hours with friends playing this. And of course Super Smash Brothers: Melee. Melee is the best Smash Brothers to date, so many characters and levels. Played so much at parties, it made my thumbs hurt at the time.

The age old arguement with Twilight Princess still rumbles with some people. Some prefer the Wii version, others the original Gamecube version. This will always be a Gamecube game in my eyes.

I’m planning on building up my collection again, but with versions available of Pikmin and Metroid on the Wii, I’ll be getting these instead.

If you dont have Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2..... you're doing it wrong.

I knew i forgot something, this was also a great game. One of the games i picked up with the Gamecube when i first had it. I can't remember how many hours i put into it, but it certainly was peaking 100. Graphically (at the time) Lucasarts made it look stunning with excellent gameplay.

At the time, the Gamecube pissed me off. It was my only console from that generation, for a good while I didn't get the money often enough to buy games but when I did have the cash or was asked which games I wanted as gifts, there were so many games on the PS2 that eventually went to Xbox and never the cube.

But after a few years, and starting to pick up all the ports of the Dreamcast games I missed out on as I never got that console, I really started to love it. The very few games that it had made me max out the playtime on each title. I was chuffed as fuck when Animal Crossing finally got announced for EU release (I had been pining for it ever since the launch as NOM talked about it often) and the day just happened to be my fuggin' birthday of all days. Spent so much time on that thing, dropped the ball temporarily a week later due to Leaf Green/Fire Red, and then went straight back to it.

It was the last ever console I rented games for, partially thanks to the Blockbuster coupons in NOM, and I went through a title each weekend to make up for not being able to buy them. This was my only exposure to Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, a title which I'm still ashamed of myself for not owning.

And then, very late into the life of the Cube, my friend convinced me to borrow this game he and a couple of his friends used to co-op play each weekend. I could only borrow it for a week, but the day I had to hand it back, was the day I went straight down to CEX and snapped up a copy for my own. And then a month later I bought a broadband adapter. And then two years later, when I picked up playing it again, I bought the fucking ASCII keyboard controller. Yeah, that game was PSO, that shit is like crack to me.

For some reason, one of the memories that sticks out with the Gamecube was playing Sonic Mega Collection with my uncle. We used to play Sonic a lot when I was a kid, and the minute he found out I had got this collection of all the old Sonic games he asked me to bring it all down to his house. And then he bought his own Gamecube and a copy. I was a right little fanboy dick head back then, so my mind was screaming "FUCK YEAH, VICTORY, CONVINCED SOME ONE TO GET A GAMECUBE". Ahh, good times. I wish I had an Xbox on the side for the Battlefront online multiplayer, that blew my mind so hard when I my friend play it.

PSO is a great game on the Dreamcast and the Gamecube version is even better.

Hopefully Skies of Arcadia follows that formula. From what I've read, it does, but it's my favourite game of all time, so my fingers are still crossed.

I still remember getting my gamecube when I was a kid, it was so much fun! The first game we got was smash brothers and we literally spent days and days playing just that. Also that intro movie <3

The game that defined the gamecube for me was the wind waker though. I had never experienced anything like it! The gameplay was fun, the story was engaging, characters were interesting, I loved sailing on the great ocean, exploring stuff and just doing whatever you felt like doing, all while a great adventure is unfolding.

Besides that I really enjoyed Chibi-Robo, Pikmin, Sonic Adventure 2, Ocarica of time (my first time playing it), Animal Crossing, Crystal Chronicles, Tales of symphonia and much more! It's still my favorite nintendo console ever, and I still boot it up from time to time. It's also worth noting that even after 2 generations the gamecube controller still feels like the best controller ever made :)

Edited by M_rock

The Gamecube is my all time favourite console. I loved it at the time, it's not a nostalgia thing. I didn't notice any drought either. People say the Wii U is the Gamecube all over again. If the Wii U gets half the magical titles Gamecube has it'll be doing well and that's 3rd party I'm referring to. Nintendo I'm sure will do their bit, hopefully. There's only about 3 or 4 titles I'm missing, never got them at the time and they're a bit to expensive now. Skies Of Arcadia, Fire Emblem and Twilighy Princess(bought on Wii instead at the time). Sold a couple too that I regret like RE 2&3.

To me, GameCube = best console ever.

It's definitely not nostalgia either. When the generation began, with the Dreamcast and PS2, they meant very little to me - I even thought I was growing out of gaming. Don't get me wrong, the DC was technically awesome, but I just wasn't gripped by anything on it. Then the Xbox and GameCube came along and they caught my interest a bit more - maybe it was psychological because I knew they had slightly more power/better graphics.

I got a catalogue from a comic books shop (Forbidden Planet, I think) and was impressed with all the games listed for GC. Not only did the GameCube have updated versions of Nintendo's own games, it looked like it could be a multi-format machine as well. That's what 3rd-party support is all about, in my opinion - being able to play the multi-format games of that generation. Forget about exclusives - you might get a few, but if a machine can't play the multi-format games of its day, you're not really in it. 3rd-party games were a big part of why I enjoyed the GameCube, and I can honestly say the only multi-format game I wanted another machine for was OutRun 2006.

But of course, as important as that is, the stars of the show are always Nintendo's own franchises. The thing that really made me a buy a GC was the glorious Wind Waker. I quickly picked up Super Mario Sunshine and F-Zero GX as well - both updated perfectly for the times - and of course Nintendo's new series, Pikmin (I liked Pikmin 2 a lot more, personally). The only game I will admit to liking only in hindsight is Metroid Prime, because I just couldn't play it at the time, but now recognise it as very good.

GameCube was a console I could be proud of as much as I enjoyed it. The games... That beautiful controller with every button and stick you could need... It wasn't as niche as it's sometimes made out to be either. I had lots of discussions about it non-gaming websites, and many of us defended the GameCube strongly. Don't forget the sales figures weren't far off the Xbox.

And of course, you can't get a complete picture of the GameCube without mentioning Twilight Princess. That stunning trailer... We just knew, didn't we, that it'd be the best game ever. Whilst it didn't really turn out like that, I long for the days when something like that seemed possible.

So, the GameCube - not nostalgia, not hindsight, just a brilliant console. My heart sank when I saw the direction in which Nintendo was heading afterwards. It could be argued they gained an audience, but lost a following.