NEurope
Mokong

3DS StreetPass Plaza

Screw the relays, that's not what StreetPass is really about. Try taking your 3DS out and about with you, you might get some surprise hits the proper way. :)

Problem for me is, as i work in Cardiff i hit so many relays i miss out on actual hits sometimes. I think you probably get the same issues as i do on trips into the city.

That defeats the purpose of Streetpass. Nintendo want you to take your 3DS out with you, you get play coins for however many steps you take and hits when you pass by another system. It's a brilliant idea to be fair.

It wouldn't really defeat the purpose of it because you could still collect the coins via the app and it'll sync up with the console. Meaning that you can still do the games, etc just you won't need to carry around the 3DS with you everywhere. You could get hits, for example, in the supermarket where you have your phone on you but won't necessarily be carrying your 3DS with you. Or even just out and about doing a bit of shopping in the town/city centre.

Not sure if this already exists, but wouldn't it be so much easier if there was a StreetPass app that you could just download to your phone. Everybody carries their phone with them everywhere. Not everybody takes their 3DS everywhere. I expect the average street passer would get way more this way.

Yeah, I always hoped that this would be a thing. You're certainly right in saying that everyone takes their phone with them. An app would be perfect to get more streetpass hits out there.

While the whole thing is a very neat feature, it's clearly designed for the Japanese market and their densly populated areas. Nintendo kind of already conceded that it wasn't working that well when they had to start putting relays around the place.

It wouldn't really defeat the purpose of it because you could still collect the coins via the app and it'll sync up with the console. Meaning that you can still do the games, etc just you won't need to carry around the 3DS with you everywhere. You could get hits, for example, in the supermarket where you have your phone on you but won't necessarily be carrying your 3DS with you. Or even just out and about doing a bit of shopping in the town/city centre.

It would defeat the purpose because the whole point of Streetpass is for you to take your 3DS out with you and play it on the go in public places. That's what Nintendo want, and they reward you for doing so. Leaving your 3DS at home and using your iPhone or whatever to collect hits goes against the whole concept of Streetpass.

It would defeat the purpose because the whole point of Streetpass is for you to take your 3DS out with you and play it on the go in public places. That's what Nintendo want, and they reward you for doing so. Leaving your 3DS at home and using your iPhone or whatever to collect hits goes against the whole concept of Streetpass.

While it worked well for Japan, it wasn't going that well for the West. The Iwata Asks that focused on StreetPass pointed this out.

Konno: Sure. I heard that while StreetPass is already popular in Japan, there are fewer users overseas. Then I had a long business trip to America in March, so I decided to see what the situation was like for myself and walked around New York City with my Nintendo 3DS.

Iwata: Since it’s New York, there must have been a lot of people, right? Konno But I didn’t get easily at all. Iwata America is considered a car society, but New York City has a robust public transportation system and is one of the world’s liveliest cities. Konno Yes. But no StreetPass encounters. So I went to Times Square right in the heart of Manhattan. There, I did get some hits, but…

Iwata: Just a little, right?

Konno: A very little. I was passing much fewer people than I expected, so I thought we had better do something.

Iwata: There in the heart of New York, a fire was lit in the Nintendo 3DS producer.

Konno: Yeah. (laughs)

Iwata: Not long before Konno-san went to America, I myself checked how much StreetPass was going on because we were getting ready to release additional content for StreetPass Mii Plaza, and there wasn’t much at all overseas when compared to Japan.

Konno: Right.

Iwata: In America, the amount of StreetPass encounters that would occur was only about one-tenth to that of Japan. I thought that was way too little, as if it was missing a zero. Then I found out that it was even less in Europe. Even though the number of systems sold and the number of customers who had experienced StreetPass didn’t differ that much between each region, the number of encounters was drastically smaller. When you walk around a city in Japan, StreetPass is happening fairly frequently, so it’s a habit for a lot of people to walk around with their Nintendo 3DS. And I think not a few people go out with their Nintendo 3DS in America or Europe as well in hopes of having a StreetPass encounter. But I suspect that a lot of them must have gone home disappointed after not having passed anyone.

Konno: Then they won’t walk around with their Nintendo 3DS again.

This is why the relays had to be brought into play and even then it's hit or miss, depending on the area you live in.

I'm still very tempted to pick the zombie game up. I could just use the coins or even just drive by McDonalds on my way to work, sit in the car park to get the passes and then head off again. :D

Hero basically covers it all below, particularly the second paragraph of his first post.

Yeah, I always hoped that this would be a thing. You're certainly right in saying that everyone takes their phone with them. An app would be perfect to get more streetpass hits out there.

While the whole thing is a very neat feature, it's clearly designed for the Japanese market and their densly populated areas. Nintendo kind of already conceded that it wasn't working that well when they had to start putting relays around the place.

While it worked well for Japan, it wasn't going that well for the West. The Iwata Asks that focused on StreetPass pointed this out.

This is why the relays had to be brought into play and even then it's hit or miss, depending on the area you live in.

I'm still very tempted to pick the zombie game up. I could just use the coins or even just drive by McDonalds on my way to work, sit in the car park to get the passes and then head off again. :D

Just because it's not working that well (I think it works great personally, living in London) doesn't mean Nintendo should reward you for taking your iPhone out and about. They set up the relays because the whole point of Streetpass is to take your 3DS out with you.

Just because it's not working that well (I think it works great personally, living in London) doesn't mean Nintendo should reward you for taking your iPhone out and about. They set up the relays because the whole point of Streetpass is to take your 3DS out with you.

Did you even read what Hero posted? It works well in London due to the population density but it won't work in lots of other places. The only time we really get hits is when we're passing through London. You're at a significant disadvantage if you don't live within a big city (which is relegated to London, Manchester, Birmingham, maybe one or two others, Cardiff possibly) and you're at an even bigger disadvantage if you don't work within the city.

Brb, working in the New Forest, getting a street pass hit with a pony.

The Japanese culture is to take your 3DS/handheld with you everywhere. It doesn't work like that here.

Brb, working in the New Forest, getting a street pass hit with a pony.

:bowdown:

EMHnxIa.jpg

Nintendo should seriously consider that. :heh: Rural StreetPass relays. :laughing:

:bowdown:

EMHnxIa.jpg

Nintendo should seriously consider that. :heh: Rural StreetPass relays. :laughing:

Hahahah.

Imagine going into the plaza and being greeted by a horse Mii.

Name: Lucky.

I think the new Zombie game is really cool. I live and work in London so I actually get loads of Streetpass hits most days.

While it's great that there's new stuff on Streetpass/Spotpass (I don't live in London anymore so less hits) this is what I still dislike -

No Map for -Mexico, Austria, Belgium, Denmark (Kingdom of), Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden

(there are others but I've not met them yet)

Nintendo stop ignoring these countries and add some maps ASAP!

Edited by sumo73

Then they need to change their purpose. As barely anyone uses it, even japan its dwindling hugely as everyone is now using... Guess? Yes mobile phones. I think the "purpose" is exchanging data in games, that's why 95% of the people tske their 3DSs, so it could and should be done with a mobile app. Or they're in danger of an extremely good feature not being used and eventually they and other developers won't bother adding the features. So everyone loses!

Can't you skip conversations without vip? And are these the opening welcome messages?

I like the new streetpass games a lot. VIP is disgusting, it'd barely be worth talking about if it was free, but to charge for it... mental!

Then they need to change their purpose. As barely anyone uses it, even japan its dwindling hugely as everyone is now using... Guess? Yes mobile phones. I think the "purpose" is exchanging data in games, that's why 95% of the people tske their 3DSs, so it could and should be done with a mobile app. Or they're in danger of an extremely good feature not being used and eventually they and other developers won't bother adding the features. So everyone loses!

The very simple concept that Nintendo want people to take their 3DS out with them, spread word of mouth etc, is being missed. Ignoring the fact that embedding Streetpass technology into an iPhone app is pretty much impossible in its' current state, they have pretty much no reason to do so. What message does that send? "Leave your 3DS at home, take your iPhone out and about!" They've set up the Streetpass relays for those who don't live in very busy places. For the rest of us, it works great. Maybe once their mobile presence starts up they can look into something similar, but for now I don't see a problem with the current system.

The very simple concept that Nintendo want people to take their 3DS out with them, spread word of mouth etc, is being missed. Ignoring the fact that embedding Streetpass technology into an iPhone app is pretty much impossible in its' current state, they have pretty much no reason to do so. What message does that send? "Leave your 3DS at home, take your iPhone out and about!" They've set up the Streetpass relays for those who don't live in very busy places. For the rest of us, it works great. Maybe once their mobile presence starts up they can look into something similar, but for now I don't see a problem with the current system.

But I think people are looking into the future. And I don't think it says any message. Fact is, people are taking their 3DSs out less and less, so much so Theyve set up these relays like you say. So people aren't passing each other anyway. So why not make it so streetpasses and the functionality, which is Brilliant, be used by even more people by putting It on the device they take with them everywhere? It makes perfect sense.

It would provide a much better service, be used by more people, and a far better and enticing advert than it's currently capability.

StreetPass is fine being stuck in the 3DS ecosystem. To put it on a phone you may as well say why not just release 3DS games on mobile phones because that's what people take out with them.

Plus I wouldn't want my phone beaming out a wifi signal every few seconds draining it's battery.

If you're having trouble StreetPassing with people it might just be worth activating tethering on your phone and setting the AP name as one on this list.

StreetPass is fine being stuck in the 3DS ecosystem. To put it on a phone you may as well say why not just release 3DS games on mobile phones because that's what people take out with them.

Plus I wouldn't want my phone beaming out a wifi signal every few seconds draining it's battery.

If you're having trouble StreetPassing with people it might just be worth activating tethering on your phone and setting the AP name as one on this list.

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. It's not the same at all. If it's an app it can still be done so can o my be logged in if you own a 3DS. Streetpass is about passing other 3DS owners and transferring data for exciting features. But barely anyone uses it and it isn't practical for most people. There's a technology out there which will allow pretty much everyone with a 3DS/NX to pass and share data. It's exciting.

And I get streetpasses all the time, I'm in London. But I'm not a solipsist, completely self absorbed who feels it's okay for me so it's absolutely fine!

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. It's not the same at all. If it's an app it can still be done so can o my be logged in if you own a 3DS. Streetpass is about passing other 3DS owners and transferring data for exciting features. But barely anyone uses it and it isn't practical for most people. There's a technology out there which will allow pretty much everyone with a 3DS/NX to pass and share data. It's exciting.

And I get streetpasses all the time, I'm in London. But I'm not a solipsist, completely self absorbed who feels it's okay for me so it's absolutely fine!

I don't usually disagree with your posts but on this point I actually do. The whole point of StreetPass is to get people out in public with their Nintendo 3DSes. It's for marketing. With it being a portable console it's meant to be taken out and about, so expecting people to have it with them outside isn't really much of a stretch.

Also I'm not really self absorbed, am I? I only said that it fulfils it's purpose and then gave advice as to how to get StreetPasses if it's not working for you outside. I only get about one or two StreetPasses per week and I commute to work on public transport. I'd get more from turning on the 3DSes that I actually own myself.

Why should Nintendo reward people for taking their iPhones out and about ?

As you say...

Streetpass is about passing other 3DS owners and transferring data for exciting features.

Exactly. 3DS owners. Not iPhone owners.

Best place to get Streetpass hits has to be train stations. I keep mine in my bag at work and I get at least 10 hits a day.

Have to agree with Ronnie and others.

It's really not that hard to bring your 3DS when you go outside. And if you think it is a hassle, then I have to wonder how you could possibly cope with basic daily life.

It takes around 30 seconds at most for me to think "Have I got my XL?" find it charging like usual and shove it in my pocket.

Just like my keys, my phone and my wallet.

Unless I have a bag with me then there's no way I take my 3DS with me. You may not think so but I doubt a lot of people want to walk around with it in their pocket.

Unless I have a bag with me then there's no way I take my 3DS with me. You may not think so but I doubt a lot of people want to walk around with it in their pocket.

Why's that? Do your pockets not have zips or something?

Because that's the only reason I could think of to not do so.