NEurope
Noku

Wii FPS

With the Wii going into its second year as the market leader, how will that fact influence the possibility of seeing an increased number of top class FPS-series hitting the console? Or, because of the supposed demographic backing the Wii, will nothing change for the better?

Personally, as I've stated a lot before, the Wii is in dire need of a competion-beating shooter. The equivalent of the 64's Perfect Dark, with such plethora of options, and added online.

Your thoughts.

My thoughts are:

TimeSplitters 4

And then they wander of in fantasies about its divine multiplayer.

Timesplitters 4 would be great, though I doubt it - being that it will launch on the 360 and PS3. Downscaling would be effort.

My thoughts are:

TimeSplitters 4

And then they wander of in fantasies about its divine multiplayer.

TS4 would indeed be the multiplayer king of the hill.

Story-wise though, I've never really adored its satirical approach as much as I loved Perfect Dark or Deus Ex's fascinating plot.

On topic of the latter, what are the odds of Deus Ex 3 appearing on Wii?

Timesplitters 4 would be great, though I doubt it - being that it will launch on the 360 and PS3. Downscaling would be effort.

Well, if I remember correctly, it's allready been confirmed for Wii.

But yeah, the Wii needs an FPS. We can hope that N-space are working on one, hopefully more conventional then Geist.

Or perhaps Retro Studios will make one on the MP3 engine.

I thought Geist was pretty cool. The game had its fair share of issues, but from the time I played it (an hour or so at a convention), I concluded that it kicked butt.

Also, it's about hell time we get The Orange Box on Wii. It's definitely possible.

I have a feeling we'll get some new third party FPSes to see this year.

Can't believe theres a lack of FPS games on the Wii, the systems perfect for them! Though Red Steel 2 could be pretty good, they already have the basic foundations laid down from the first game, all they have to do is work out few issues and throw in a online mode!

Though I would like an original IP from Retro, having a FPS spin-off from Metroid about the Federation Soldiers could be good, they could just use Metroid Prime 3's engine.

...Though I would like an original IP from Retro, having a FPS spin-off from Metroid about the Federation Soldiers could be good, they could just use Metroid Prime 3's engine.

I remember a forum memeber AGES ago saying this, an MMOFPS, he said he'd name the game SR388.

I'd love it!

Despite the brilliance of Metroid Prime 3 and MoH, I doubt we'll see an influx of FPS. Japanese developers are not exactly known for their FPS games, so its up to western developers to put FPS firmly on the Wii map- and western developers seem to have all but forgotten Wii exists; party games, aside.

I think that X-360 gets most of the FPS and will for the whole generation.

Why? Devs know they sell there; it's easy to port to the PC and FPS normally show-off state of the art graphics which is not possible on the Wii.

Look at the DS, it's also well suited for FPS still I find the calalogue quite lacking and on both consoles Nintendo showed with Metroid what can be achieved.

I made a thread for TS4 Wii. Its confirmed, and they were also thinking about bringing a second sight sequel/exclusive game to Wii.

Haze was made for 360 and Ps3 only.

timesplitters 4 on wii will show you how great fps games should be..I have so much faith in that team.

timesplitters 4 on wii will show you how great fps games should be..I have so much faith in that team.

Thing is though, it's not exclusive, and Timesplitters never lived up to the longlivety of Perfect Dark (Multiplayer play time... a rather embarrasing 3 weeks and 2 days :geek:) or Goldeneye.

I bought both GC itterations, and they didn't last a fraction as long. I mean, TS was lacking in all departments when compared to that. No dynamic lighting, TS2 lacked reload animations, the weapons were in many cases booring, some with not to good, and forced-feeling secondary modes (hmmm... do I choose to use the silencer and scope on the pistol... or don't I?). The singleplayer was not at all memorable.

Plus I must say that the graphical style didn't at all suit me.

I'm hoping something along the lines PD or GE, which in my oppinion had a really good ballance between fun and realism. May be so that it's legally impossible, but I'd like to see a PD remake on the Wii. Who knows, maybe Microsoft give up the 360 (they still make hundreds of milions in losses on the whole Xbox project), and sell Nintendo all their games development assets for cheap:bowdown:

As much as I'd love to see a defining Wii FPS to show up that has everyone crave and talk about it, even PS3/360 only gamers, I just don't see that happening.

The controls may be more suitable than the dual-analog setup, but console core audience has embraced that already. They're not gonna switch that easily. Plus, in order to have them notice a Wii FPS game, it takes some real horsepower to show off some amazing graphics. That's something the Wii can never do.

We may see a few, yet fine efforts down the line. Most likely candidate is a Retro Studios title using their MP3 experience and the MP3 engine to build something new. Will Nintendo allow that?

Or, it's Ubisoft's Red Steel 2. The first game wasn't as bad as it was made it to be. It was way too hyped and disappointed many. I found it buggy, unfinished, flawed, yet very enjoyable and had tons of potential. I think Ubisoft is taking the time it needs to make this game the game it was supposed to be, hence we haven't seen or heard much about it yet.

Thing is though, it's not exclusive, and Timesplitters never lived up to the longlivety of Perfect Dark (Multiplayer play time... a rather embarrasing 3 weeks and 2 days :geek:) or Goldeneye.

I bought both GC itterations, and they didn't last a fraction as long. I mean, TS was lacking in all departments when compared to that. No dynamic lighting, TS2 lacked reload animations, the weapons were in many cases booring, some with not to good, and forced-feeling secondary modes (hmmm... do I choose to use the silencer and scope on the pistol... or don't I?). The singleplayer was not at all memorable.

I disagree with most of that, apart from the secondary weapons.

I've played Timesplitters for ages on the PS2, it takes a good while to unlock all the content and get golds/platinums in the challenges.

OK the story mode in TS2 is a bit mis-match but the levels were still very fun and surprisingly expansive.

I thought there were a few reload animations (?) and the weapons were certainly not boring, they were quality.

The graphical style was really cool in my view and i think that makes it slightly easier to bring on Wii from a result of its simplicity.

It doesn't help that you played both versions on the GC though - C stick is poor.

Pointer controls will make up for that undoubtedly.

I have no choice but to disagree. Dynamic lighting a reload animations (which were in Future Perfect) are purely graphical, and don't detract from the gameplay one iota. As for lifespan, get a second (and, if possible, third and forth) controller, and some friends round, and your set! The mulitplayer was essentially bottomless, and the incredibly good map maker (when you have a large memory card, that is) made sure it can still be played to this day. As for unlockable stuff, I still haven't unlocked the Site map on TS2!

I have no choice but to disagree. Dynamic lighting a reload animations (which were in Future Perfect) are purely graphical, and don't detract from the gameplay one iota. As for lifespan, get a second (and, if possible, third and forth) controller, and some friends round, and your set! The mulitplayer was essentially bottomless, and the incredibly good map maker (when you have a large memory card, that is) made sure it can still be played to this day. As for unlockable stuff, I still haven't unlocked the Site map on TS2!

Yeah, those things are purelly superficial. But PD came out in 1999 for the N64. TS2 came out for the GC in like 2002. TS:FP came out somewhere arround 2006, and STILL didn't have any dynamic light. Doesent that tell you anything? That a game is in certain aspects technically beaten by a seven year old game for a first generation 3D-console? That was stored on a 32MB cartridge, and was for a very difficult to program for console.

These visual things are important for the immersion, for the feel of the game. I mean, if they'd added this single detail of dynamic lighting to TS:FP, that would have made the game feel much more modern, and and like more of an effort was put in.

Dude, the multiplayer got quite booring quite fast. I've been fiddling arround with the level editor, and I've been pissed off about the technical limitations. Why can't I make a single map that works in ALL MODES. The memory runs out too quick from simple stuff like that. The editor should count how near I am to melting the processor, not how close to a certain ammount of blocks I am. Me and my friend used to play TS2, but we quite quickly got boored and swapped back to PD.

That's not saying I perhaps will buy TS4. TS:FP was the best FPS on the Cube... Which in turn is increddibly dissapointing.

I made a thread for TS4 Wii. Its confirmed, and they were also thinking about bringing a second sight sequel/exclusive game to Wii.

Haze was made for 360 and Ps3 only.

Exactly, didn't they confirm it ages ago...

LOL The new Turok and a Rainbow Six woudl just rock my world in my Pants!

But yeah something like Perfect Dark would also be cool.

I say we storm RARE headquarters and make them work with Nintendo.

LOL The new Turok and a Rainbow Six woudl just rock my world in my Pants!

But yeah something like Perfect Dark would also be cool.

I say we storm RARE headquarters and make them work with Nintendo.

no thanks. you see the team who made the great golden eye and perfect dark has gone. gone to free radical and loads of other developers. there for i rather see time spliters 4

Dude, the multiplayer got quite booring quite fast. I've been fiddling arround with the level editor, and I've been pissed off about the technical limitations. Why can't I make a single map that works in ALL MODES. The memory runs out too quick from simple stuff like that. The editor should count how near I am to melting the processor, not how close to a certain ammount of blocks I am. Me and my friend used to play TS2, but we quite quickly got boored and swapped back to PD.

That's not saying I perhaps will buy TS4. TS:FP was the best FPS on the Cube... Which in turn is increddibly dissapointing.

I have several maps that do all modes, all you need are 3 bags (one for tag, two for CTB), a few zones, and spawns. The editor was actually very, very potent - you can't exactly make elaborate outdoor maps, but who cares? It's about how a map plays, and, by god, some of the ones I made played really really, well.

Also, you're better off designing maps for different modes - what makes a map good for CTB doesn't always make it good for a TDM.