NEurope
Nucleus

Creating Music...on the pc?!

Hi all

I'm genuinely interested in producing music on the PC. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. I have a professional mic for voice recording but thats about it.

I'm a novice piano player but that is what I'd love to record. Any suggestions on beginner keyboard (not too large...not too expensive :heh: ) or the like (or even if it is necessary - I'd be happy to not use a midi input device if it would save me money - at first of course. I also have no idea what software to get. I once tried fruity loops but it confused the hell out of me and Im not sure it was the right software for me either.

Sorry for the rather convoluted post...I'm tired...

Any musicians here that could lend me a hand? Just general suggestions or recommendations would be amazing.

Thanks,

Nucleus

Casio keyboards are generally cheap and have midi inputs. Great for gigging too if you were to take that route. Dont spend anything over 100 notes though. But there are LOADS of options. If you're JUST wanting general MIDI usage then get a MIDI only keyboard, you can get these in most music stores and they usually come as a package with the software included.

In regards to using midi I've used Cakewalk before yet it was all set up for me (at college) so I'm not too big on the whole setup. Now I do things the cheap way (use a mic to record into the PC). It's terrible but gets ideas down before I venture out to the local studio to lay tracks down prfessionally.

Software wise I learnt to use Sibelius (good for composing more classically, using sheet music. This is a good choice of program if you're looking to write music that can be played on live instruments as well), Cubase SX3 (used this the most, a good sequencer, better for making..anything, really. But it's main application is for dance tracks) and Reason (a good synth program. Good if you want to expand your sample library but no good as a standalone product - use this with Cubase).

Hardware wise I'm still looking for a good set up myself :)

Alright thanks guys. I'm looking into getting a keyboard and Ill find out more regarding Cubase.

: peace:

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but if you want to create music, will I need to learn to read music first.

I ask this because I thought reading music was only used if you want to play some body else's composition?

I haven't got a clue about music theory or anything like that, so i'd probably be rubbish but maybe i'd create something semi-decent... eventually.

That cuebase program sounds good, I wouldn't mind having a go at creating some kind of club/dance music. Will a midi keyboard be sufficient?

Pretty much, but don't get annoyed when shit doesn't work. Just keep on trucking and RTFM. :P

And you don't really need to know how to read music for writing, that's more for professionals. Though some music theory definitely helps for creating stuff. Just google basic music theory and read a bit and you'll be sorted IMO.