NEurope
Happenstance

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

In a statement Ben and Jerry's said, "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child."

Link

*Shudders*

Ah cmon it's ridiculous? Is this a joke? Would new mothers get part time jobs sitting in Ben and Jerry's factories strapped to pumps?

Ah cmon it's ridiculous? Is this a joke? Would new mothers get part time jobs sitting in Ben and Jerry's factories strapped to pumps?

Could be a good career move.

Its not such an absurd idea. Dairy allergies are bought about due to humans not supposed to have other animal's milk. It'd be odd, but kinda logical.

I would pay the triple if i'd get to drink the milk from the breasts... of a hot woman..

*Drools*

Just kidding, don't jump on me

I would pay the triple if i'd get to drink the milk from the breasts... of a hot woman..

*Drools*

Just kidding, don't jump on me

You know you can actually do that!

just walked down the right street.

Its not such an absurd idea. Dairy allergies are bought about due to humans not supposed to have other animal's milk. It'd be odd, but kinda logical.

Its not a matter of being healthy, its logistically impossible. How many women you need? They only produce in small quantities, only after birth and many don't even produce it with enough quality to feed their own child. There's a reason we use cows for this.

Its not a matter of being healthy, its logistically impossible. How many women you need? They only produce in small quantities, only after birth and many don't even produce it with enough quality to feed their own child. There's a reason we use cows for this.

Women can produce milk for many years after birth though, they only stop producing when they stop feeding, if they were milked they could produce milk almost indefinitely.

Cows need to be milked. Besides if milking cows is cruel then surely milking women is just as cruel.

Shit quality, only one I could find.

:shakehead what a stupid idea :shakehead So they propose milking (presumably they'd need herds of) women rather than cows who, I'm pretty sure, need to be milked anyway, when at the same time I'm popping down to burger king and buying an Aberdeen Angus burger. They're kind of missing the big picture here.

Cows don't need to be milked if they were left alone. The only reason they give milk is because they impregnate the cows every year so they have calves, so then they start producing milk. The calves are taken away shortly after birth for meat consumption. So it's not really a natural process at all.

And this idea is just silly by the way and pretty much impossible to execute.

This is presumably just to draw attention to themselves, it's not the sort of thing that would work on a large scale, and most people would find it vaguely disgusting anyway. I think the complaints about drinking cow's milk are a bit silly - it's an aspect of our diet that's nearly as well established as meat eating, and there have been physiological changes to reflect this. For instance, providing they aren't lactose intolerant, people produce lactases (for general milk digestion) throughout life, rather than only when they are infants. (for digestion of mother's milk) This is not the case for other mammals, and lactose intolerance is more likely among oriental people, due to a later ancestral adoption of milk from other animals.

Cows don't need to be milked if they were left alone. The only reason they give milk is because they impregnate the cows every year so they have calves, so then they start producing milk. The calves are taken away shortly after birth for meat consumption. So it's not really a natural process at all.

Yes but what would happen to all of the cows if suddenly there was no demand for milk? You think the farmers would pay for them to live a nice healthy life?