NEurope
Goafer

Pimp my (low)ride(r) (AKA project Bernard)

A fad on another forum I used to use was to get a girls Bratz lowrider bike and customise it since it's essentially the same bike as other "proper" lowriders. So I thought I'd try it myself. Quick browse of eBay and a £30 buy it now later, I was the proud owner of a purple girly bike.

n687920340_3631406_6328.jpg

Stripped all the stuff off that I didn't want (including the brakes) to give it a clean, uncluttered look.

n687920340_3631410_7547.jpg

It then looked like this:

n687920340_3631409_7254.jpg

I then took the saddle to work and retrimmed the saddle with geniune Rolls Royce Phantom leather. I used to build the seats, just a case of stealing some leather and doing the seat in my lunch break. Fawn brown is rare in Rolls Royces, now I have it on my low-low!

It then looked a bit Cadbury-tastic:

n687920340_3686062_7643.jpg

I then sanded down the frame and sprayed it metallic red:

n687920340_3892880_669.jpg

Reassembled it and added some new handle bar grips, then it looked like this:

n687920340_4238324_5730.jpg

Added a kickstand today (see the recent purchases thread). I just need to get some new pedals or paint the old ones and it's done!

Yeah, I used to build the seats the go in the Rolls Royce Phantom. We used to swipe no end of leather from that place and make things like phone cases or laptop bags. The good thing was that the bosses all did it as well so we didn't have to sneak the leather out. On of the bosses actually ordered some leather with his own custom logo on it to make himself a glasses case.

That's pretty sweet :) You need some hench mirrors and a flag on a pole to complete the chopper look :P

I say get some masking tape and some other colours and jazz up the frame, too. But seriously; that's awesome! Is it (low)ridable?

It's ridable, but I wouldn't recommend it for normal use since it has no brakes! I got it mainly for cruising round car shows. It's a long day if you have to walk everywhere, so now I have a mobile seat!

It's also a bit small to ride. It was originally made for little girls, but the frame is the same size and shape as the "mens" version, which is why quite a few people are buying them and hiding their roots.

I have been considering some mirrors actually. Not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards getting some.

To be honest, I don't have the storage space to make anything similar. My parents won't let me store anything at the house (not that there's any room anyway) and my rented garage is filled with a car and 2 bikes as it is.

I am tempted to get another one and transfer the chrome stuff from that one onto my red frame since my chrome stuff seems to be rusting a bit. I might even spray the old rusty chrome wheels black to see what it looks like. Can't imagine paint will stick very well to the smooth wheels though.

Feels like a lovely thing to do. Though it looked sexier in purple (sans stars) than red. But less manly, I suppose.

To be honest, I don't have the storage space to make anything similar. My parents won't let me store anything at the house (not that there's any room anyway) and my rented garage is filled with a car and 2 bikes as it is.

I am tempted to get another one and transfer the chrome stuff from that one onto my red frame since my chrome stuff seems to be rusting a bit. I might even spray the old rusty chrome wheels black to see what it looks like. Can't imagine paint will stick very well to the smooth wheels though.

Paint sticks better to rough surfaces, but it can be done.

If they can take it, get them sand blasted.