NEurope
bluey

recession hits bluey.... in the face.

...yeah, so.... i lost my job today...

...via e-mail.

Hi Becky,

I'm sorry that you are not in today so that I could tell you this personally, but I'm afraid I'm having to terminate your job.

This is in no way a reflection on your performance, rather it's a reflection of the performance of the London Print Company in this recession.

Staff cuts are the last resort, but I'm afraid we've reached that point. You will have seen yourself this month how customers are asking for cut price deals on repeat jobs and big clients are suddenly dropping out and who knows, there may be worse to come; sadly we are just not getting the sales to justify our current costs.

On top of the month's salary now in your bank account, I will be sending you a cheque for a further week, which you will receive on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I'm really sorry about this and I hope you'll be able to get another job soon. Obviously if you need a reference, please ask. I've told all the other staff so feel free to get in touch with them if you want.

All the best

"all the best"?!

*is cry*

i moved to london for this job. i have rent to pay... they made me sign a contract stating i'd give them at least a year because they "didnt want to waste time training up someone who'd only be with them a few months"

and come on!!! that's a little fucking harsh.... E-MAILING me? could have waited until tomorrow and told me in person... it was only after i'd finished desperately searching the email for "APRIL FOOL!" with no result that i started to hyperventilate.

:angry:

:weep:

:sad:

::shrug:

:hmm:

:wtf:

:shakehead

:cry:

That is sucky.

Time to hit the agencies/job centre/internet job sites.

Are you sure it isn't an April Fools? Sounds like it would be to me to be honest!

If not...then ouch o_o

Maybe it is a very sick April fool? They would wait to talk to you the next day otherwise. At least you'd think they would anyway.

Why dont you ring them and find out? Or go in and demand a meeting. They owe you that if its true anyway.

If it is true, then, i'm sorry. That really sucks. I guess you have to start looking for another job a.s.a.p, or this could be an opportunity to start fresh. Move away or something :)

This seems to be a week for losing shit and disappointments. Come, let us set sail for new lands together and change our stars.

It could still be someone in your company's idea of a sick April Fools joke, so I would maybe call them or go in there to make sure, but equally it is probably real and that is just really fucking harsh of them... I mean sacking someone is bad enough but by e-mail?!? seriously wtf...

I'm sorry to hear about this Bluey, truely I am :sad: *hugs* I hope that you find a new job soon.

nah it's true.

still if it were an april fool's joke i'd be REALLY fucking angry.

...but it's not.

time to update the CV.

...at least i know a copy shop where i can get it photocopied, eh!

I'm really sorry to here this bluey. It really was a horrible way to tell you this after what you done for the job.

Hope you get one soon :(

Ah crap, that's got to be the worst way to be fired (other than perhaps by text). At least they sound genuinely sorry about it and will offer you a (hopefully glowing) reference.

It's things like this that make me dread finishing student life and entering the working world. The idea of delaying work with a PhD seems more and more appealing.

A really shit thing to happen but at least you don't like out in the wilds with little hope of getting anything else. You'll probably have something else by the end of the week.

It's a good chance to move up the ladder/into something even better.

Beckie, that totally sucks. I'd have no idea what i'd do if I lost my job. I hope things get better soon, because you've been there for me in the past when things sucked.

A job's a job at the end of the day, they come and go and help us grow.

I really didn't mean that to rhyme! But yeah, you've got experience from it and can maybe find something better now. Too many people get bogged down in a futureless job, too afraid to quit, whereas you have been given a free pass. Make the make of it :)

Damn... :( That's awful, sorry to hear that.

Hopefully you can find something new soon.

Jesus fuck, that's not the type of email anyone would like to receive, Bluey. Actually, it reminds me of the time that I received an email about penis enlargements. First, I was thinking "how do theeeey knoooow?!" and secondly, I just figured they sent it to everyone, right?

But, it's nothing personal. You were probably their best employee ever. If they did a "who is best at doing the job that we do at work employee award 2009", then you would have probably have won it no problems.

It sucks that you moved there to get this job, but here's hoping you can find something else pretty quickly. We're behind you, and I'm sure you'll find something soon. You can do it, put your back into it.

Big hug, little kiss, big huuug.

Agggh, so sorry to hear that. Seems like the whole nation is slowly dribbling onto the shitheap. Hope you can find some work to keep you going and that you get a decent job again soon. =(

I just really like the wording they used.

but I'm afraid I'm having to terminate your job.

Oh and the whole April Fools thing.

Hi Becky!

Sorry to hear about what you have gone through. I have been in a similar position. I moved to Lincoln for a Graphic Design job, I worked for a small company who had been producing a magazine for around a year. I was there for 6 and 1/2 weeks and never got paid, then company shut down. There was also a few other things which I don't want to go into here but its was bad.

So I'm in a new city, with rent, bills, council tax etc to pay. As soon as I heard about the company closing I panicked loads. I went down to the job centre and couldn't sign on for JSA because I hadn't paid enough contributions within the last tax year. I was a student you IDIOTS! I was entitled to claim money for Council Tax and my Rent, although I never went through with that, but that would have covered a massive chunk of the Tax and Rent.

The best thing to do is get a job, any job ASAP, to get some money coming in. In the mean time cut all pleasure expenditure down to a minimum. I scrapped by for another 2 months, until I managed to get a job. It sucked so hard. I'm currently working in retail, which is killing me, but I'm almost back on my feet (finance wise) I've been doing a freelance work on the side, seen as Graphic Design jobs are few and far between in Lincoln.

Treat job hunting as a job, work at it for 8 hours a day. Tweaking your CV, checking Papers/Websites/Shop Windows and widen your scope in terms of what job you are able to do. You can always look for your ideal job, once you have a job.

Keep positive and keep your friends and family close, they will help lift your sprits when your down, and allow you to think positively which will help you find your next job.

PS. What to start a Graphics Studio?

http://www.zookai.co.uk

Awww Bluey, this sucks so much. So sorry to hear about this. =(

So annoying of them to do it through email though, that's just silly. =/

Hope you can find a new job soon, maybe something more related to graphic design work? Good luck!

To think it's going to be even tougher for me to get a job with this global recession. Here's hoping you get another job to pay the rent.

thanks everyone for your advice and kind words.

today's been pretty crappy ...but i have milk&cookies and you guys :grin:

PS. What to start a Graphics Studio?

http://www.zookai.co.uk

uhm... hell yeah!! PM me :smile:

That is such a shitty way to lose a job by email...how hard is even a phone call...but I think things like this should be done in person...I was pretty pissed off when I worked for HMV and they laid me off a few years back...the manager left it for one of his cronies to do...he was in that morning yet I got told in the afternoon.