NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Extending Apple Warranty

I have an iPod that's a few months out of warranty and a MacBook that is just out of warranty which means they will break soon. I would like to know if there's some cheaper student-based warranty that I could take out to cover them?

I've looked on the official site and its £380 to cover both, which is about half of my average monthly payslip (more when you consider rent and transport). I know when I purchased my MacBook through the education store I got a 3 year warranty so just wondering if there was...well, some way of getting it cheaper.

I want it covered but I also want to live and stuff.

I have an iPod that's a few months out of warranty and a MacBook that is just out of warranty which means they will break soon. I would like to know if there's some cheaper student-based warranty that I could take out to cover them?

I've looked on the official site and its £380 to cover both, which is about half of my average monthly payslip (more when you consider rent and transport). I know when I purchased my MacBook through the education store I got a 3 year warranty so just wondering if there was...well, some way of getting it cheaper.

I want it covered but I also want to live and stuff.

You can only buy Applecare if the product is under a year old.

What? So I can't take out an extended warranty in the very likely circumstance that it'll break? That shit is fucking bananas.

What? So I can't take out an extended warranty in the very likely circumstance that it'll break? That shit is fucking bananas.

You can get insurance which covers it in the case that it breaks. My holiday insurance covered both my iPhone and my laptop when I took them abroad for anything that happened to them. No doubt you'll be able to find something similar with home insurance.

Well, it wouldn't make any kind of business sense if they offered that.

Not really it means that everyone would only buy it if their product breaks. Then Apple would only loose money on the service.

My only other advice would be to look at some sort of 3rd party insurance but again it's normally needs to be taken out within 6 month of the item being purchased.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Edited by Caris

The law of sod doth decree that any product shall remain whole only while repair is free. Upon the date that the warranty meets its end, the product in question must break for that is the instant in which the most anger will be generated by Apple customer.

On the eve' of this fateful night, Steve Jobs will arrive with a little bottle and collect the tears of his broken and confused follower and add them to the collection in his lair.

Yeah what Shorty said.

But in terms of a business model; other companies offer the ability to extend your warranty so there must be some manner in which it can work.

Yeah it can work...

Caris' theory of a never-ending product is silly; because you'll obviously upgrade (and probably through that nice company that fix your stuff).

Anyway, just get regular insurance and specify your Apple products.

Sign in to follow this