NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
S.C.G

Spyware - help please...

So everything was going great today, using my new Netbook which I'd been doing so for weeks now and then suddenly...

'Spyware Protection - designed to protect'

comes up...

And it's done all the 'scanning' bullshit where it pretends to scan your computer for spyware but is actually putting harmful stuff on there etc...

has anyone else had experience of this and knows of a quick and guarenteed way to get rid of it? I can't do anything on it so I'm guessing I'd have to take it back to factory resets or something by turning it off and accessing 'something' before it boots up properly but I have no clue as to what. :(

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

*arrrrgh! I feel so annoyed right now*

Also I've just realised that I've posted this in the staff section and not the tech section *sigh* I think I'll just give up now...

---------------------------

Ok so I've googled a few things - I'm on my old pc right now - and I'm guessing the only real way to save my netbook would be to boot up in safe mode and then try a system restore or something similar?

Safe Mode works, should I even try a system restore? Or just go with taking things back to how they were when I first got the netbook... I don't have a huge amount on there as I only started using it recently, all I would really lose is a review that I was working on - annoyingly - and I may be able to salvage that using other means.

Edited by S.C.G

Try a system restore, there's nothing to lose. You won't lose any files or anything. Can you get software to install? If so, get malware bytes and spybot s&d on there.

Try a system restore, there's nothing to lose. You won't lose any files or anything. Can you get software to install? If so, get malware bytes and spybot s&d on there.

When I load up normally, I can't do anything so I wouldn't be able to install software in that mode but possibly in safe mode, in any case, I'm trying a system restore now.

*crosses fingers*

hmm... restore is finished, it says that it renamed the following files in the system32 directory...

atmfd.dll

urimon.dll

wininet.dll

And it seems to be working now, hmm... that was worryingly simple to solve in safe mode but it seems to have done the trick, I think I'll update Avira and then download both Malware Bytes and Spybot S&D as you suggested.

Edited by S.C.G

I ran a scan with Avira earlier, first time it found 'TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen' which was quarantined, after a restart and another scan to confirm, it found nothing the second time.

I'm now gonna download Malware Bytes and Spybot though as it seems to make sense.

-------------------------

Malware Bytes scan - nothing found. :)

Edited by S.C.G

Sign in to follow this