NEurope
jayseven

Archiving N-E

There's a weight on n-e's shoulders, and it's our past.

There's over a 25k threads and 1m posts on these boards, and the majority of them hold no value whatsoever anymore. We're trying to reduce the 503s and streamline our servers so we can reduce downtime as much as possible.

... But there are some threads which are a part of our history - threads which shouldn't be forgotten, threads which added to the definition of n-e as it stands today.

We are hoping to set up a read-only board for the elite threads - a hal of fame of classic moments that have occured during the n-e campaign. And we need your help.

The first step in the process is to identify those key threads. We're asking you to simply cast your mind back and, using the forum search function, bring us the link for any thread from any board that you think is something that should survive the great purge.

We will of course endeavour to support as many threads as suggested, for it isn't just the admin or moderator opinion of greatness that we're after, and there's no guarentee that an archived thread will live forever either, but we hope that by asking the forumites at large for their suggestions we will be able to protect what makes n-e what it is today.

There is no fixed timetable for this activity, and the precise methods we'll be using in the future are not set in stone just yet. We appreciate any help you guys can offer, and we appreciate your patience as we deal with the server struggles that occur from time to time.

Please leave a link and a thread title for any suggestions for archiving that you have. A summary and perhaps your reasons as to why you think that thread should live would be very helpful.

Oh fuuuuck, looking back at that Eating habbits thread is insane.

So many forum members...

And they're all dead...

Anyway sorry, I don't have any suggestions - I can never remember half the stuff that happened.

If you're wanting to preserve actual KNEE history then the awards threads?

Or the threads that discussed the live E3 events.

Also are we wanting to keep the darker and shittier threads that have happened?

If we do then there are a few break-up threads that, while quite sad, did define a few members here.

If you're wanting to preserve actual KNEE history then the awards threads?

Or the threads that discussed the live E3 events.

Also are we wanting to keep the darker and shittier threads that have happened?

If we do then there are a few break-up threads that, while quite sad, did define a few members here.

In response to the above; yes.

I'd say this process needs to be fairly limited to be honest the thing of more importance is getting rid of all this clog!

Oh no The Hot People thread! Can we start a new Hot People thread? Why was it stopped again?

Oh no The Hot People thread! Can we start a new Hot People thread? Why was it stopped again?

What do you mean oh no? I was suggesting it get saved :confused:

If I remember right it was just locked when all the other big threads were and just hasnt had a new one made since weve been allowed to recreate them.

Well, please don't remove any threads just yet so that I can archive all of my shit.

Also, I messaged Ashley about it a while back but got no reply, is there an archived version of the 'Meaningless Post...' thread anywhere?

Jay, does this apply to General Chit Chit (and its subforums?) only? Or the General forum (Chit Chat, Creative Gallery, Tech/PC Talk)? :confused: Please don't kill the mafia threads!

Jay, does this apply to General Chit Chit (and its subforums?) only? Or the General forum (Chit Chat, Creative Gallery, Tech/PC Talk)? :confused: Please don't kill the mafia threads!

The entire forum will be subject to purging*. If there's anything you want to save then request an archive.

*I think this is the case, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Surely past game threads can go though right? Just I think unless certain stuff is earmarked for being kept then anything past a certain date should be deleted brutal but needs to he done to keep this place running. People will get over it.

Currently this thread is a precautionary measure. It may be too early to tell to what extent the boards will be 'purged' -- I know that Ashley's been deleting the wastelands (where some threads were moved to, rather than deleted).

Gen Chit-Chat does take up the majority of the posts on these boards, which is why there's a post in here rather than globally, for now. But you can feel free to suggest any thread from anywhere that you think should be kept, for whatever reason you wish to give.

Ah, right. In that case, I'd like to request that the mafia game threads not be deleted...maybe the sign-up threads can be, thought the Playground isn't as big as GCC which is probably your priority. Have you considered killing threads based on number of posts, views, or both combined? (Probably being unhelpful, but I can't think of any threads to save yet :p).