0.jpg?cache=73.34107983850778

1.jpg?cache=58.442282493038654

2.jpg?cache=60.12792942958156

3.jpg?cache=4.999735559496976

4.jpg?cache=24.421918141173627

5.jpg?cache=89.80638154288427

10.jpg?cache=10.111839430064757

13.jpg?cache=49.54223799383819

Trine 2: Director's Cut, in development exclusively for Wii U, features the critically acclaimed original Trine 2 game, with a number of enhancements and gameplay polish, alongside a new game mode called "Magic Mayhem", designed exclusively for Wii U. The Director's Cut will also include the yet-to-be-released expansion pack.

Trine 2 is a sidescrolling game of action, puzzles and platforming. You play as one of the Three Heroes who make their way through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world. The game features an exciting adventure full of action, including physics-based puzzles using fire, water, gravity and magic; wicked goblins as the heroes' adversaries; and a magical environment full of wonder.

Trine 2: Director's Cut has been designed for Wii U and takes advantage of its powerful features, ranging from improved console graphics to new, more intuitive controls on the Wii U GamePad™.

Trine 2 also features online cooperative multiplayer support for up to three players, in addition to the local "couch" multiplayer mode.

The upcoming new expansion campaign will also be included in Trine 2: Director's Cut.

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U exclusive & holiday title)

Director's Cut is "the developers' vision of Trine 2" fully formed

Physics-based puzzles with fire, water, gravity and magic

Accessible for both casual and hardcore gamers thanks to the new control system designed for Wii U, taking full advantage of the touch screen for intuitive character controls

More than 100 improvements to the original game, including polished gameplay features, level geometry adjusts, new vocals and character interactions, and user experience improvements

Online and local co-op with up to three players, with special multiplayer features for Wii U GamePad™ and support for up to three Wii Remotes™.

Superb graphics and next-gen visuals using impressive technical effects, making Wii U the definite console version

Save anywhere to play as long or short sessions as you like and use the Unlimited Character Mode and Game+ for replay value

Upgrade your characters to suit your play style and to learn amazing new skills

Hidden collectibles for extra adventuring

Amazing 19-track fantasy soundtrack

Full language support for English, French, German and Spanish, and optional subtitling for more than 10 languages

Campaign support for the new skills from the upcoming expansion

Director's Cut includes the exclusive Magic Mayhem "party mode" for up to 4 players in online and offline multiplayer

Trine 2 expansion campaign (included in the Director's Cut)

Add-on content for Trine 2

A new adventure featuring the Heroes struggling against new goblin villainy

5 new levels chock-full of new puzzles, hazards, enemies and contraptions

New skills for each character with new possibilities for puzzle solving

Completely new environments ranging from burning desert to snowy mountains to the insides of a giant sand whale

Edited by Retro_Link

This was the only surprise to come from their conference, and it was a good one at that. Game looks great but I'm not seeing this as a retail title. Most likely one of the first download titles.

Trine is one of those games that I've seen mentioned around the net. Its meant to be pretty good/ a hidden gem sort of game isn't it?

Very surprised that they'd throw this in the same reel as full-retail games.

But DAMN!

The Colour

The Colour

The Fantasy

The Creativity

The Colour

This is what I like!

Developer comments on Gaf thread.

All this talk here and yet nobody came to check it out at the E3 booth? We were waiting for you, we even had the Pontius helmets on at one point! :)

So yeah the screens are PC. We often use PC screenshots because that's just the easiest way, and in all this madness we just kind of forgot that it's a big deal. Should have at least resized them to 720p which is the Wii U resolution. Sorry! The game should look like that on Wii U though, so other than the resolution it should be all good.

As for the platform comparisons, we are indeed using slightly higher settings on Wii U (it's not something that's super easy to notice though, it's not that dramatic). The game runs well and looks good so that's the main thing for us. Overall it's been a rather good experience working on the platform and being at E3 was awesome. The upcoming months will be very exciting and there will be more announcements and info coming up before the eventual release (as a downloadable in the eShop with reasonable pricing).

Maybe this helps, thanks for all the comments. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah that FutureShop thing, I think they're just listing all the titles that have been announced or something. We haven't exactly communicated the downloadable aspect that well either, so some people have mistaken it as a full retail game. We have nothing against retail though, we'd love to do that too, but at our pricepoint it's maybe not the best idea (or even possible until later).

On AA, I think we use FXAA or so, but I'll have to confirm with the programmers once we get back to Finland.

And yes you can play just on the Wii U GamePad. :)

(And yes online co-op is available on other platforms as well - but on Wii U we'll have the exclusive party mode which will go for some asymmetric gameplay.)

Originally Posted by EDarkness:

I spoke at length with you guys at the show. I think we even talked about the game on our day 2 podcast. Heh, I didn't know you guys posted on NeoGAF, though. Game is looking great on the Wii U, though I still think the rogue is hard to use. :)

Ah right, good to hear. :) Yeah we do google stalking quite a bit, and obviously here's where the action goes down when anything significant happens, so we're always lurking in the shadows (I used to hang around on GAF more regularly back in 2004-2005 or so but then work just got too busy and all).

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

So wii u is 720p only or am I reading that wrong? Welcome to 2005 Nntendo :)

You know, NINTENDO has started to live with one leg in the past and one leg in the future, and we all know what is dangling in between in the present.

Welcome to beginners reading class Dazzy lad.. 720p is the resolution of the game not the console (though it could be read your way if you're reallyyyy looking for negatives lol.) The thing you see with console gamers where Nintendo is concerned is , is your glass is half empty or half full; people choose to look at anything not seen as positive and totally focus on that and disregard anything positive... its been seen a million times the last few months.

A lot of people are saying if you think the next PS/XB games will be 1080p you're living in lala land; that there will always be a choice between 1080p, AA, framerate, and effects. For most games developers will always choose effects.

Still remains to be seen but next box and PS4 are little more than concepts on paper, Sony's in A LOT of money issues and people think the nextbox will be little more than a streaming STB, so I wouldn't be too cocky just yet.

Edited by madeinbeats

He says "Should have at least resized them to 720p which is the Wii U resolution" And I think he's saying the Wii U resolution is 720p and you say I can't read?! AWESOME!!

He says "Should have at least resized them to 720p which is the Wii U resolution" And I think he's saying the Wii U resolution is 720p and you say I can't read?! AWESOME!!

But, the Wii U is 1080p, as are the 360 and PS3. Are you really saying the WiiU's output is 720p? It even says on the official Nintendo site in the specs ::shrug: The Ninja Gaiden screen grabs are in 1080p ::shrug: Of course it reads the game is 720p :hmm: I don't understand these peolpe who are hell bent on proving the WiiU is inferior, or as some people, slightly more generious and say well yeah, maybe 2% more powerful than ps360.. I don't get it, what's it to you if it was 600% more powerful?

Edited by madeinbeats

I don't care particularly about power. But if it is 720p that's a little disappointing. Ultimately my only care is Wii U not finding itself in the same position as the Wii was. It's looking ever increasing that it could well be.

I don't understand why you feel that people have some kind of agenda - that people want to prove something, or disproves something. Why can't we all just be making comments and having opinions on the news that comes through? Everytime someone comments on the potential power of the Wii U based on interviews etc you jump straight in. Nothing wrong with that, but don't think people have agendas in their comments.

Every time I see 1080p in a post I think theres talk of a new Ten Eighty game going on. :(

Damn, have the last few weeks been torture for you :laughing:

All's I'm saying is why try and put spin on something that is blatantly untrue and argue it? Let's just keep things realistic, unbiased and keep personal feelings out of it otherwise it just descends from reasonable debate to fanboy fantasy.

Why not just read the widely-documented and easily accessible official tech specs?

Video Output:

Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

Who knows where most games will fall? If we find ourselves at a true 720p default, then hey, that's a good step-up from the current generation of HD systems. But the resolution compatibility is there for all to see.

Bloody hell. I'm not trying to SPIN anything, I'm asking questions about it based on interviews. Bloody hell.

And prodigy it says VIDEO OUTPUT, isn't that different?

Why are people being so defensive about it and making assumptions that were trying to slag it off or something? I genuinely asking because I don't understand any of this stuff. Nice that someone can ask questions on these things without being shot to fucking pieces.

Remember that some games (such as Halo and Call of Duty) don't even run at 720p.

Every time I see 1080p in a post I think theres talk of a new Ten Eighty game going on. :(

You mean you don't know about the prequel, 720° Snowboarding?

Back to the game, what I've played of Trine on PS3 is actually really good. It's definitely worth the time, I think it's certainly more of a downloadable game than a retail. I don't think they could get away with it being a disc game when its available so cheaply via other means.

So this is the first official wii u ware game then? Still think something like tank tank tank will be too and maybe even some others!

So this is the first official wii u ware game then? Still think something like tank tank tank will be too and maybe even some others!

Yeah tank tank tank has wii u ware all over it.

Yeah, this along with Tank! Tank! Tank! will be downloads. Along with Toki Tori 2, (Bit.Trip) Runner 2 and a few other titles from indie devs that have been announced so far.

Will say, having Trine 2 front and centre at the launch of your downloadable service shows Nintendo must be doing something right with their new online setup otherwise Frozenbyte wouldn't be bothering to bring a Director's Cut version over with added features/content.

S I was reading a report about this and they said it was from the guys who made the lost Vikings and this is sort of based on that. Is that use? I loved that game!

Blizzard made The Lost Vikings and Trine is from a Finnish developer, so I doubt there's any relation.

But a lot of people have compared the two games, so maybe you'd like Trine 2 anyway. :heh: