NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Toki Tori 2 Wii U

This got confirmed yesterday and came with a trailer and lots of details.

- final game size will be somewhere in the 300mb range

- Wii U can do '1080p without breaking a sweat'

- Wii U version might have some form of achievements

- devs say working on Wii U is, 'Much easier than Wii. Lots of options!'

- devs also said they found it easier than expected to work on Wii U

- they were attracted to the Wii U by the Nintendo audience

- no decision yet made for Miiverse interactivity

- Wii U has camera controls for Tokidex

- As far as the name goes, 'Just "Toki Tori 2" is most likely'

- May feature secret levels with a graphical style close to the GBC game

- game will 'hopefully' be ready for Wii U launch

- no plans for a 3DS version yet

- no unlockable characters

- finding all the in-game collectibles will get you 'something cool'

- reconfirmed as download title for Wii U

- considering leaderboards

- some levels are designed for vertical play, but all are 2D

- team's favorite new mechanic is 'Whistle & Stomp mechanic definitely. Simpler yet deeper!'

- no online multiplayer

- when asked if Nintendo is making things easier for indie devs on the Wii U, Two Tribes said, "We're happy with how things are going!"

- When asked if the Wii U GamePad's touch screen will be used for gameplay, Two Tribes said, "Possibly, but not as main control method."

- no DLC planned

- dev team has been working with Wii U for 'a few months'

- decision to bring the game to Wii U was made because of 'Nintendo fans, better shop experience and new controller!'

- no plans to support Wiimote, Wii U Pro Controller

- on difficulty when compared to the first game: More people should be able to complete it. Hard puzzles optional.

- devs were inspired by 'Nature! How everything works together!'

- roughly 30% of the game's puzzles are hard ones

- would like to do more titles on Wii U

- On 60 FPS: I would be very disappointed if it wasn't, but no guarantee until it's done.

- 'time will tell' as far as fixes/updates/patches go

- only uses one analog stick

- most likely won't include the original Toki Tori with the sequel's release

- might have other Wii U-exclusive features

- probably won't have 5.1 surround sound

- no slowdown when playing on just GamePad

- don't count on shared save stages between Wii U and Steam versions

Edited by Grazza

Looks absolutely kick arse! Love the original game and the new mechanics look amazing!

Can't wait :D

I like the look of this because it reminds me of New Zealand Story. If it comes with that chilled out music like in the trailer... getting...

Was it Ocean who made that? Imagine that'd be an instant eShop hit if it got rebooted or VC'ed

Was it Ocean who made that? Imagine that'd be an instant eShop hit if it got rebooted or VC'ed

There was a remake for the DS.

I loved the original, played the hell out of it on my Amiga as a kid. I never did finish it though. :(

Funny,

the developers live very close to a friend o' mine.

I had the one on WiiWare on my previous Wii before it broke down.

I downloaded it a few weeks for a test week to stimulate the brain activity, but I think I eventually got more than I bargained for:laughing:

I got to certain stages which just had me look at it for hours on end. . .

Damn that game was hard, never did fully finish it, but I do like a good puzzler now then, . . . and agian.

Edited by Fused King

There was a remake for the DS.

I loved the original, played the hell out of it on my Amiga as a kid. I never did finish it though. :(

Umm, looks OK from reviews on Amazon... Rainbow Island reboot not so much. Might pick it up would be nice in 3D though.

From Two Tribes Twitter account:

"Random fact: Tori 2's file size on Wii U is currently about 450mb."

"The game now has streaming audio, reducing memory usage and loading times. Sounds the same, much better for our players. The new story advancing section with the 'problem' has now been finalized and looks great. More stuff: more puzzles, world map navigation improved, Toki turns smoothly now, faster water/lava, better looking lights and shadows."

This is going to be available on the WiiU eShop on the 20th of December, for both NA and EU.

I'll likely be picking this up. I get a feeling the first batch of games will be quite expensive though, abusing the early adopter!

I'll likely be picking this up. I get a feeling the first batch of games will be quite expensive though, abusing the early adopter!

Prices on downloadable games usually stay the same for years, why do you feel they would exploit early customers and suffer in the long run?

I am not paying more for this than I think it would cost on XBL/PSN - 800 MSP/GBP 7.

They did for the iPhone and the ipad. Just that people are going to want to download stuff straight away, they know this, so why not make it a little more expensive on wowing people will pay it and there isn't much competition? (Cynical?)

They did for the iPhone and the ipad. Just that people are going to want to download stuff straight away, they know this, so why not make it a little more expensive on wowing people will pay it and there isn't much competition? (Cynical?)

Sure, they could set an inflated launch price. But I hope for Nintendo's sake, they don't.

Edited by are1981

Earlier today, I bought Toki Tori on Steam to get ready for its sequel! Toki Tori 2 better cost the same – €0.44 – on Wii U eShop!

I expect it to cost at least twentyfold.

Ha! I'm playing through the GBA original on 3DS (which cost a bit more than that ;)) in preparation.

I'm still amazed that we're at this point where games can look as good as their artwork - and even better in motion. Journey is one of the stand-outs of course, but in its own modest way, this game is no slouch!

There's a trailer up on the Wii U eShop and it includes an EU release date!

Dec 20 is the day for us! :D

Dec 20 is the day for us! :D

Not anymore!

"Toki Tori 2’s a personal project for us. It’s first game we’ve made without being tied to a license or publisher, it’s something we’re putting a lot of love in, and it’s something that’s just not good enough to be released yet.

It’s also the most complete game experience we’ve developed so far; the whistle and stomp concept is rather unique, the game world is filled with all kinds of creatures, we’ve added an interactive storyline and we’ll allow you to explore the game’s world as you see fit. All these things are in the game right now, but there are so many things that could, no… should be a better that we feel we would do you a disservice to you if we release it in its current form.

So what now? We are busy making a plan to fix the the game’s current weak spots, in all categories ranging from gameplay to graphics to technology. We are not ready to commit to an exact release date at this point, but it will definitely be early in the new year."

Game was probably going to be good anyway; now it's going to be even better! No complaints from me!

Ah well, glad they've taken the brave step to keep going until it's as good as it can be. I'm going to be snowed under with games over Christmas as it is!