NEurope
Jimbob

Wii-U Internet issues

I think this is the right place for this, i know it's console-related but....

Since my Wii-U arrived yesterday, i ran the connection to get it going on the internet. It said it was connected to the net, which was good. But during the stupidly large update, it disconnected from the internet probably 50 times. And since the update, it either connects for 5 minutes before disconnecting or won't connect at all. Usually fires many error messages at me, and checking those online they are mainly interferance issues.

Firstly, moving the router closer is out of the question. It's my parents house, and it's fixed in the room it's in (thanks to BT). We are in the process of considering a new location for it, but it will involve moving the phone line to do this.

My Xbox 360, PC, Nintendo 3DS and Smartphone all connect fine to the router where it is just to inform.

I've tried one solution already, which was to manually enter the internet connection stuff onto the Wii-U (IP, SSID etc). I can connect it via my phone, but that will only be used for downloading Virtual Console titles or game updates/patches at present. It works, but gives error messages still. It randomly connects/disconnects all the time.

The only other option i have is to hard-wire the Wii-U to the router via a LAN adaptor/ehternet connection or via the PC and share the internet that way with the LAN adaptor.

I can't give a full answer until i get home tonight, but anyone got any solutions i can try before i fork out £30

Edited by Jimbob

I've had the same issues after moving my WiiU random disconnects from the internet after moving it from the side of my TV to below it in the TV cabinet (where my xbox was and had no internet issues)

is the internet better on a WiiU via the USB ethernet adapter? as somethings i've read on the internet suggest its slower than wireless but more stable

Hmm. Do you have an android phone at all? What sort of router you got, who's your ISP etc How far is the Wii U, can it be put any closer?

EDIT: Hold on I see you said BT. Guessing you've only got one phone socket?

I've had the same issues after moving my WiiU random disconnects from the internet after moving it from the side of my TV to below it in the TV cabinet (where my xbox was and had no internet issues)

is the internet better on a WiiU via the USB ethernet adapter? as somethings i've read on the internet suggest its slower than wireless but more stable

Hmm. Do you have an android phone at all? What sort of router you got, who's your ISP etc How far is the Wii U, can it be put any closer?

EDIT: Hold on I see you said BT. Guessing you've only got one phone socket?

Indeed, we are planning on moving the phoneline back to it's old location. As and when that will happen, no idea. I moved the Wii-U to where my Xbox was and it did the same as i desribed. Heck, i even put my 3DS on top of my Wii-U (whilst the U was off) and i got a 2-3 bar internet connection steady.

I got one of them Homehub 3 routers. The Wii-U is in my room, which isn't too far from the router (it's about 5 or so meters from the routers location in diagonal terms). I get a steady 5/5 on my PC for connection, 2/3 bars on the 360 and 2/3 bars on the 3DS. Where-as the Wii-U, 2 out of 3 bars and it keeps disconnecting.

I did some seaching online, and it would seem using a LAN adapter is my best solution. So @Agent Gibbs, when my kit arrives tomorrow i shall let you know. As long as i don't disconnect every 30 seconds i don't care. I only want to use Miiverse and play Monster Hunter online.

You can try changing the wifi channel in your router control panel to something else, the current one may be having interference.

Alternatively, try moving the Wii U around in the same room, it may be a wifi blackspot. My front room is really bad for this even though the router is in the next room devices can't connect in certain areas.

You can also try removing the security from your wifi temporarily to test if it works better, the Wii U doesn't like a certain type of WPA encryption from what I've heard.

The LAN adapter works fine, very stable since it's a direct connection, there's not a big difference in connection speeds, that I can tell anyway. Only problem is it takes up a USB slot.

Whilst playing MH I get disconnected all the time. Its absolutely pissing me off. Ivw ordered a LAN adapter off amazon. Im going wired. Its the only way otherwise im going to smash the gamepad up in frustration.

You can try changing the wifi channel in your router control panel to something else, the current one may be having interference.

To second this, and expand on my android question: There's a free app called wifi analyzer that can quite handily show what wireless broadcasters in the area are on what channel; handy to ensure you're not on the same wireless channel as your neighbours.

As for phone sockets/moving the router; just as much as running an ethernet cable to it; I remember when we were on the dial up days(old school) we used to essentially just have a phone extension wire - could be another/temp solution to moving the router. I've never had BT/phoneline broadband though, so I actually have very little idea if this is even a possible thing.

I've got it all wired up now. No disconnections at all. Gonna wire my entire room now, because the router is in a place which i find unacceptable for a wireless connection.

I recommend these if your wireless router is not able to be moved

Plug and Play LAN.

Edited by Jimbob

I've got it all wired up now. No disconnections at all. Gonna wire my entire room now, because the router is in a place which i find unacceptable for a wireless connection.

I recommend these if your wireless router is not able to be moved

Plug and Play LAN.

I second that! i already have those, in my room i've then split the connection using an old belkin router (with wireless off so its just a hub) to my Sky box, ps3 (and soon to be WiiU) and it works amazingly well

I second that! i already have those, in my room i've then split the connection using an old belkin router (with wireless off so its just a hub) to my Sky box, ps3 (and soon to be WiiU) and it works amazingly well

Got a mate who's got a ethernet splitter which he's giving to me, so once thats sorted the PC and 360 will be wired in.

UHHHHH it won't let me on the E-shop or MiiVerse on my wiiu, i keep getting 111-9001 or - 105-4011 or others

Are miiverse/e-shop down? because the internet etc are fine on the WiiU just those too that won't load

EDIT: wait netflix also won't work

its ion the same position my xbox occupied and it had no wireless issues, what the hell is wrong with it

2nd EDIT:

SO i moved my Wiiu

20130516_2053121_zps87bbe1d0.jpg

My WiiU and PS3 have switched places and suddenly the shop and miiverse work again......what the actual fuck? seriously its moved all of 3 ft, having just tested it my ps3 has stable wifi in the same location

I'm officially confused and bemused by this, is the wifi card in the wiiu shit or something?

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Jeez, that was like a Where Wiily, was wondering where the bloody thing was! Not that it's of any relevance at all lol, just couldn't see it amongst all the black (no racial).

Sounds quite peculiar, it just suddenly started cutting out out of the blue? Compared to how long being ok before? Did you have it on its side or upright all this time or ever change it?

None of these will provide answers, I'm just most curious really!

Its always been upright

Originally i had my (black) xbox in the bottom right, with my ps3 on the bottom left, with my WiiU next to my Tv on the left (so it would be above the sky box) and all the wireless worked fine.

Then i sold my xbox and the WiiU was moved to the bottom right, still stood upright and it worked fine for a day or so then it had a day where it had intermittent net conection, but it only lasted a single day. Fast forward a month or so and i had yesterdays random denial of MiiVerse and the E-shop

but man your post made me laugh, i never noticed how dark it all looks down there, at first glance it does look like there are only some games on the shelf! i have a stealth WiiU and Ps3

Honestly, I looked for ages and didn't see it; I assumed you'd 'moved' it out of the picture somewhere(even though I could see the power brick). Only asked about the upright thing is I recall someone having terrible gamepad issues over in the Nintendo forum(mighta been Nando) with the Wii U round a certain way.

I guess if it's working now then don't take any chances and rock the boat, but again like previous if you've got an android phone might be worth checking out the wireless signals in the area to see if there's any interference. My Wii U used to give me some gyp when the router WAS working, but then I changed it to a better channel recommended by the wifi analyzer and it's been, so far, pretty well behaved.