NEurope
Sméagol

[game thread] High Risk High Reward mafia

High Risk High Reward mafia

“Sleeper agents have infiltrated the community. Operating individually, they are extremely dangerous. The government responds to the threat the only sensible way they see fit: handing out arms to each and every citizen. Now citizen.. Do you use your power for self-defense.. or for vigilantism?”

Rules

game flow

Days are 72 hours (open to debate), nights 24 hours. Deadlines always at 00:00 CET. When majority has been reached, the next game night will start at 00:00 CET of the next following actual day.

votes

The usual way. vote: player. Lynches require absolute majority.

roles

Your role PM will specify one thing only: your alignment. You’re either a citizen (town) or terrorist (mafia).

terrorists

You are not in a team.

win conditions

The usual. Citizens need to remove all threats, terrorists need to match or outnumber the citizens.

abilities

Only one. And each and every single one of you have the same: kill target player. You may PM me with your target. I would appreciate it if you do this in this exact format: in the subject field, post HRHR mafia: night [x]: player. This so I have a clear overview right in my inbox, and don’t have to read the body of the PM.

inactivity

I am absolutely going do to nothing myself against inactivity.. Seems to me, being inactive is hazardous to your health even without my supervision.

questions / comments

You shouldn’t really have any questions, you really should take everything at face value. But if you must: PM me with HRHR mafia: question in the subject, or bold your question in the thread. Comments the same way. Again, everything should be simple enough, but obviously you should point out things like voting count mistakes for example.

miscellaneous

The usual: no editing, no talking when night, no talking outside the thread, no talking when dead. Although with role PM like these, you can quote them for all I care.

[01] The Peeps - terrorist - shot 1 time

[02] Tales - citizen - shot 1 time

[03] Yvonne - terrorist - shot 1 time

[04] Sheikah - terrorist - shot 2 times

[05] Jonnas - citizen - shot 1 time

[06] Jon Dedede - citizen - shot 1 time

[07] Cube - citizen - lynched

[08] DuD - citizen - shot 1 time

[09] Jimbob - citizen - lynched

[10] Mr-Paul - terrorist - endgame

[11] Rummy - citizen - lynched

[12] Diageo - citizen - endgame

[13] Magnus Peterson - citizen - shot 1 time

Black denotes active players.

Grey denotes dead players.

[Night 0]

[Day 1]

[Night 1]

[Day 2]

[Night 2]

[Day 3]

[Night 3]

[Day 4]

Start of day 1

There are 13 active players.

Absolute majority is 7.

Deadline is 17-05-2013 00:00 CET (16-05-2013 23:00 UK)

[01] The Peeps

[02] Tales

[03] Yvonne

[04] Sheikah

[05] Jonnas

[06] Jon Dedede

[07] Cube

[08] DuD

[09] Jimbob

[10] Mr-Paul

[11] Rummy

[12] Diageo

[13] Magnus Peterson

Black denotes active players.

Grey denotes dead players.

[Night 0]

LET THE MASSACRE GAME COMMENCE

Comment:

I do feel like a mad scientist observing his “volunteers”.

Trivia:

I adopted that song as the theme song, because “high tension” was the other name I considered.

Game tip:

Day 1 no lynch is not recommended.

Edited by Sméagol

Wow, this is interesting...

I wonder if the game will actually end on the first night...

Vote: Jimbob

Because seriously, what's the point in voting No Lynch? Might as well start doing something.

As the alignments are likely random so is my vote: vote: Yvonne

Vote: Jimbob

Wonder how many people will kill at first opportunity? liking the idea of the game.

I'm confused as to how the terrorist faction are not in a team yet they have to collectively gain majority to win. Isn't that the definition of a team?

I'm thinking that this game could potentially last two days, if enough people target enough different targets. And what incentive do they have to not?

OK well a terrorist, assuming they are in a team, is more likely to hit gold than not, and they know there's nothing to say that they did. So all 4 terrorists will probably kill. The thing is the vote for the day is essentially the same chance of killing a citizen as the NK since we haven't a fucking clue about anyone.

We can start declaring our targets in thread, but that does no one any good.

So town should in theory NOT use their night powers for N1. The issue with that is the likely outcome of N1 is 3 dead townies after a townie lynch and maybe 1 dead terrorist, so we have a very limited time to make out minds up if we decide not to kill. As soon as we do have an idea though, that's it, people will start killing on hunches.

I'm right in thinking the kill power is unlimited, right? And the kills happen simultaneously, a la mexican standoff?

I think teaming up on Jimbob this early is a dirty move.

So how exactly are we going to discover who is a terrorist? Without an informed decision, town aren't going to kill anyone - otherwise everyone would be killing at random and we'd just lose... but if we don't use our kill powers, the terrorists will win for sure =\

After N1 the ratio of scum to town will be closer, and there will be more info to go off. If town all "kill the player to the left", it's game over in N1.

Vote Jimbob

He's what we might refer to medically as 'a goner'.

I don't think mafia have a forum, it's the only way this game could work

Also this thread very concisely sums up why I am opposed to the possession of firearms!

After N1 the ratio of scum to town will be closer, and there will be more info to go off. If town all "kill the player to the left", it's game over in N1.

I think the only thing we can do is sit back and watch it unfold.

Am I right in thinking then that everyone can choose to protect themselves from death rather than kill? It's just it said we had only one ability and that was to kill.

Hmm...perhaps you can't be killed if you don't target anyone.

Not sure where you got the idea that people could protect then?

I highly doubt that. We're being asked to consider the implications of everyone being able to kill. The voting is practically meaningless compared to that.

Here's a thought - how many terrorists would be put in a game like this? 13 players. Definitely at least 2, probably no less than 3. 3 or 4 I think. I feel like either way the game will be over in 3 days.

I will Vote Jimbob too.

This game looks like it will require striking a strange balance between looking scummy enough not to be killed by the terrorists, but not scummy enough to be killed by the citizens.

I still think trying to end D1 without any information is lazy and anti town, and ganging up on Jimbob achieves exactly that. We are literally at L-1 now, and there are plenty of people who haven't posted yet.

I say nay. For now, I will wait. Statistically speaking, it is wiser to wait for tomorrow.

Vote: No lynch

Vote count

Jimbob [6]: Jonnas / Cube / DuD / Sheikah / Diageo / Jon Dedede

Yvonne [1]: Tales

No lynch [1]: Magnus Peterson

Absolute majority is 7.

Majority has not been reached.

Deadline is 17-05-2013 00:00 CET (16-05-2013 23:00 UK)

Am I right in thinking then that everyone can choose to protect themselves from death rather than kill? It's just it said we had only one ability and that was to kill.

Comment:

Flavour is flavour (and the only flavour you’re getting I might add).

Game tip:

Motivations.

Edited by Sméagol

You know, I just realized, from rereading the opening post, that it makes it sound like the terrorists don't know who the other terrorists are.

I took the "Terrorists are not in a team" comment as "they can't communicate outside of the thread", and nothing else, but that reread made me think the whole thing was more random than I thought.

Also, Remove Vote because we're actually getting good mileage out of discussing this paradigm.

Ok, I read the 'will you use your power for self defense or vigilantism' bit a bit too literally.

So we have no way of knowing who targets who? Aside from confessions anyway. I predict this is going to be all about picking on people who claim targets that other people also killed, or those who continuously say nothing or claim to have killed no one.

The claiming is going to be very interesting. I'm not sure how two people claiming to have killed the same person will work.

Someone can either claim:

no murder, and be lying/telling the truth

murder be lying/telling the truth. Lying here is either about the victim or the fact that they targeted.

I like Smeagol's one word tip - motivations. It seems there are two types of people in the game (no neutrals I think) and their goals are interesting.

If we're right about the lack of mafia forum, everyone is to some extent ACTUALLY snooping for mafia. Perhaps the mafia are trying to leave clues about themselves (a la expelement mafia). Mafia want the day to end QUICK (which is why I'm looking at the Jimbob voters) and townies shouldn't kill N1 if they know what's good for them. Everyone is looking for a halfway decent target, and everyone has motivation to lie about what they do at night. This is going to be interesting....for the three or four people who survive N1.

The thing is though, there will be literally nothing to go on tomorrow as far as I can see. Suggesting town should all do nothing gives the Mafia a free excuse - they can say they did nothing, just like the rest of town might. Having more people who say they did nothing gives a big pool of people for them to blend into.

if a townie kills tonight they have probably a 3/12 (1/4) chance of hitting mafia, assuming a mislynch. If, from this, a 3 person mafia has a perfect night round, there will be 9 players left, with a 1/3 chance of hitting mafia. The probability of mafia hitting themselves also increases. Meanwhile the lynches get more substantial as people start to slip up. I think it's better for town to wait for every turn that they have enough players alive to kill the mafia in one turn. So if there are 3 mafia, town should feel safe until it's down to 6 members. At this point fi 3 mafia score a perfect night, the next day becomes critical.

That sounds about right. Kinda sucks that we have to wait until half of us are wiped out/the Mafia screw up, though.