NEurope
madeinbeats

Some more EA support for Wii U!

Check this curio out. Today has been a very strange day I think you'll all agree.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4351844/ea-developing-wii-u-games

EA is developing Wii U games, has bigger plans for PS4 and Xbox One, CFO*says

By DAVE TACH on May 21, 2013 at 7:00p

Electronic Arts is developing games for the Wii U, but not as many as the company is developing for Sony and Microsoft's consoles, EA's chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said today during the Stifel Nicolaus 2013 Internet, Media and Communications Conference.

Jorgensen's statement seems to contradict a statement last week from EA spokesman Jeff Brown, who said last week that the company has "no games in development for the Wii U currently."

When asked by a conference attendee which console manufacturer would lead the next generation, Jorgensen said that consumers, not publishers, would be the ones to decide.

"You know, I think Nintendo's business was more [an] extension of their last console," Jorgensen said today.

"I think what the consumer will find is a lot more powerful gameplay with the new boxes that are coming out, and a lot of excitement, but it'll remain to be seen as to the services associated with those as to how consumers decide which direction they might want to go."

EA previously announced that neither Madden NFL 25 or FIFA 14 would make their way to Wii U this year, the latter because "commercial results were disappointing" for FIFA 13, which was a launch title for Wii U. Today, Jorgensen also revealed that NBA Live 14 is headed to next-gen consoles.

Edited by madeinbeats

Why would they be making games for the Wii U. I thought they said the console was 'crap' and Nintendo are walking dead. Morons.

Good luck selling anything on the Wii U now. If WiiU becomes the best selling console this generation, wow have they shot themselves in the foot.

Same chap also said this at the conference:

EA has pledged support for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 until at least 2017 - four years after next-gen consoles Xbox One and PS4 go on sale, according to a report.

Speaking at the Stifel 2013 Technology Conference yesterday (via GameSpot), EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that the publisher will continue to release titles for current-generation consoles until 2017 at the earliest.

Titles currently in development at EA for Xbox 360 and PS3 include Battlefield 4, FIFA 14 and this year's Need For Speed.

The publisher has yet to officially announce any Xbox One/PS4 exclusives, but has said it will discuss its next-gen plans during E3 next month.

Last night, the firms announced that Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14 and EA Sports UFC would all release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and revealed its next-gen sports engine 'Ignite'.

Source: GameSpot

So it seems bizzare they wouldn't at least have some games out for Wii U as well. Well, if sales pick up that is :)

I'm really not that surprised. I know a lot of people thought the snub was political (and I haven't discarded that possibility myself), but maybe, maybe, EA has developed new game engines that either a) don't work on the Wii U, or b) take so much effort to pair-down, it's not really worth it compared to potential sales?

I don't give two hoots about EA, but you have to acknowledge the reality of where the games industry is.

Wonder what EA are working on then.

Mass Effect and Battlefield are the only things they have that I'm interrested in.

Modern games take time to develop. I'd hate to see a situation in say a years time when there are more Wii U users around with EA trying to play catch up because of decisions and comments that they made now.

I fully expect a Nintendo Direct next week where Satoru Iwata proudly announces EA is back on board and ready to show Wii U owners some love...by announcing Desert Strike is coming to VC.

I fully expect a Nintendo Direct next week where Satoru Iwata proudly announces EA is back on board and ready to show Wii U owners some love...by announcing Desert Strike is coming to VC.

Don't you get my hopes up like that dammit!

tumblr_ltbbz2336i1qeka6b.gif

Deseeert Striiiike!

Oh, how I mastered that game back in the day! (...and how bad I was three years ago playing it on an emulator!)