NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MATtheHAT

Dota 2

I played it for an hour, had no idea what I was doing so I watched an half hour tutorial. Played for another hour and gave up.

I have massively got into this recently (I did the new tutorial a few days before the game went out of beta, and by now have played about 50 real games), and while it is stupidly complex, and often punishing, when things all come together it's brilliant fun. It'd be cool to play with/teach other NE-ers, if anyone fancies doing so. And in case people hadn't realised, it's entirely free to play, with money only being used for cosmetic items (just like TF2 hats), so there's one incentive...

Once I have my new laptop I will definitely be investing some time in it. I was in the beta I stupidly hoped it would work on this knackered piece of shit I was wrong! (hey it runs torchlight on really low settings)

I love and have played immense amounts of both DOTA and LoL, but @Cube is absolutely right... they're incredibly obtuse and hard to get into at first. Retardedly so.

So, is anyone actually playing this, or have you all given up? If anyone's still interested, it might be fun to queue together, or co-op against bots, and I can try and impart what little I know based on playing about 100 matchmaking games. I'm really enjoying it so far, anyway.

Hm, Dota 2.

I occasionally play LoL, but somehow I don't have the patience to learn this game properly.

Downloading Dota 2 just now. Might give it a go tomorrow.

In case anyone cares (which seems a bit doubtful at this point), the third international Dota championships are currently in progress, which are freely watchable both in-game (which is now released and free on Steam) and on Twitch tv. The prize pool is currently over $2.8 million, which I believe makes it the biggest of any gaming tournament so far.

Anyway, that aside, I'm still really enjoying the game, and willing to teach noobs and/or play with or be taught by non-noobs.

Surprised there's been no discussion around this and The International 4. The winning team walked away with $5 million, and a total prize pool of well over $10 million, puts this recent tournament as the biggest prizes in any video game by an extremely wide margin.

Anyway, just had a fun match with @Supergrunch. It's a shame there isn't more from N-E playing this, would be great to learn the game together with other noobs like me.

Surprised there's been no discussion around this and The International 4. The winning team walked away with $5 million, and a total prize pool of well over $10 million, puts this recent tournament as the biggest prizes in any video game by an extremely wide margin.

Anyway, just had a fun match with @Supergrunch. It's a shame there isn't more from N-E playing this, would be great to learn the game together with other noobs like me.

I'm up for it, I played a few games with Supergrunch to learn but found it hard and my girlfriend was away and kept calling so missed a lot of what was going on. I fully intend on carrying on with it but got to put some serious time aside to learn the lessons taught in the tutorial that little bit better.

I'm up for it, I played a few games with Supergrunch to learn but found it hard and my girlfriend was away and kept calling so missed a lot of what was going on. I fully intend on carrying on with it but got to put some serious time aside to learn the lessons taught in the tutorial that little bit better.

Cool, I'm sure @Supergrunch would be up for it. Perhaps some co-op games against bots would be beneficial?

Anybody else want to join us? Good opportunity for noobs to learn the game together.

I would indeed be up for partying up with people here and helping teach them how to play. The in-game tutorial isn't that great, but is worth going through as it shows you some of the very basics, and then in addition to that it helps to have a look at some guides on the internet like this famous one (the same as the one Matt linked to earlier on in the thread). It can seem a bit intimidating how much there is to learn, but those should give you enough basics to start having a go at real games, especially if you try and learn about the hero you want to play beforehand, and look up some potential builds etc.

I'd love to learn how to play but it seems really intimidating mostly from the stories you get of VOIP harrassment by nonplussed teammates.

Meh, that's only a problem if you play with dicks - most people, myself included, largely only stack with people they know.

Edit: VOIP usage is also quite rare when you're playing with random people, although it does happen (and in general, though there is an in-game VOIP feature, VOIP without an external program like Skype is uncommon). It seems to be a bit more popular on the US servers though.

Edited by Supergrunch

So, no more interest in this? I'm amazed so many people deny themselves this gaming ecstasy. :heh:

Lots of interest but I'm intimidated by not knowing anything about MOBAs and the way the Idle Thumbs guys talk about it, it seems that you need to spend ~ 100 hours playing the game before you can even decide whether you like it or not. But that's no reason not to try it, I don't want to be the friend that orders the exact same plate of chicken chow mein every time you eat out.

tl;dr I'll give it a shot if you show me the ropes.

I'd be up for any Dota night. Just started matchmaking games and thought I would get owned - surprisingly I am doing OK. I think that's partly because the matchmaking is good at skill matching, and partly because I have about 100 hours co-op against bots/practice matches last hitting/watching live games and You Tube.

Cool, how about we try a game Sunday or something? We can always play against bots if Bard would prefer to take the pressure off, but either way it'll be best if you do the tutorial and read some of the guides (e.g. Purge's) first.

Sign in to follow this