NEurope
Charlie

New Year's Resolutions 2014

This time of year again people.

2013 Resolution Thread

2012 Resolution Thread

Last year mine were:

This year I want to drop my bodyfat to 10% (currently 16/17% after Christmas). Achievable but will take a lot of work. The plan is to drop to 8%, then to bulk to 12 or so, then back to 10.

Right now I'm by no means fat and I'm often called skinny, but for me, the bodyfat is too high.

I'm probably around 15%. Didn't go too well but I put on muscle rather than lost fat.

I want to increase my strength all round and will continue with my Starting Strength work out that is currently going very well. I want to hit 100kg squat and dead lift for 3x5 reps (currently 60kg).

Success! I have done both and exceeded on the dead lifts to 105kg.

Cut down drinking. Right now its generally Friday and Saturday night. I want to cut down to either Friday or Saturday night.

Success! I tend to go out just one night at the weekend for a 'big' night.

This Year:

• Body fat 10%. I can do it!
  • 125kg squat/Deadlift
  • 80kg Bench press
  • Play tennis at least 52 times
  • Score a goal for my 11s team. Not shit out of headers and challenges.
  • Get a booking - because I'm massive pussy when it comes to tackling

Edited by Charlie

Lose weight.

Nope, try again.

Also I'd like to get laid this year.

Nope, try again.

Yep. But I did have to pay for it.

- lose weight

- get a new job and move somewhere else

- (once the above two have been accomplished) try to meet somebody. If you don't meet anybody through new job/moving, give online dating a try (and actually do something on it, not just signing up and occasionally logging in).

- complete another half marathon. Bronze: beat old time; Silver: beat 1:45:00; Gold: beat 1:40:00.

- get laid (without acquiring a receipt)

One of the main ones is the same as last year: get a girlfriend.

Also, I need to use the gym more.

Well I did quit my job (twice) but I'm still there.

My resolution for 2014 is to speak to my father less. I'll see him at the end of January (lot of birthdays in Jan/Feb), then hopefully again not until Christmas. Maybe texts in between for his birthday. Decided he's not worth the hassle and he clearly doesn't care for me.

Also continuing my physical self improvement, but that started in November...

Oh and travel more. Hoping to go to Paris for a weekend, Italy and maybe a few cities in America (and Vancouver) where I know people.

Edited by Ashley

Save money so I can go back to Hong Kong at Easter (for wedding number 2).

Pass my driving test.

Change my job for a better one.

Move somewhere new.

I saved money and went to Hong Kong! We even went to Italy.

I haven't passed my driving test because my driving instructor broke his foot before I was meant to take my test, so that's technically not my fault!

I did leave my job, but yet to get a job doing something I want. I have got an interview in Janiary though.

I moved, but just to another part of Sheffield :-p

This year, I want to stay happy, pass my driving test and start saving for a mortgage :-)

Last year's resolutions = blue,

Result is in black,

Next year's = red.

Get out of this overdraft

Didn't manage to do this, because we ended up buying a new car. So, not successful, yet successful in another way. Probably a better way, too.

Next year: Get out of overdraft and start saving for a house.

Ideally, be able to add 30kg to all of my "big" lifts

Didn't do this in all the big lifts, but have made good progress in front squats and bench. My bench has improved a lotand it feels more comfortable than it ever has. I've improved in them all, but bench and front squat was noticeable.

Next year: Increase my lifts. All of theeem.

To gain some size, but not become a balloon.

I did the opposite! I bulked, and then cut. The cut was successful and I feel leaner. Getting close to being able to see my abs. So, not a success because I didn't get bigger, but a success because I'm leaner and more athletic than before.

Next year: Get lean for summer, but bulk at some point.

To turn our school football team from chumps to champions

They've got better, but they're not champions yet.

Next year: Keep trying.

To save up money for Glastonbury

Done.

Next year: Save up for Rock Werchter in Belgium!

To improve my Dutch/Flemish and Spanish.

I've improved my Spanish quite considerably. Dutch has flat-lined.

Next year: Keep trying.

To start looking the basics of keyboard.

Didn't do this, but I've picked up an electric guitar and have improved quite a lot on that. So, a loss for the keyboard, but a win for guitar!

Next year: Learn keyboard and be awesome.

Somehow, someway, record an instrumental where I play bass, guitar and drums

Didn't do this, still trying to find a way. I've realised that I probably need to get an electric drum kit as I doubt I'll be able to use an acoustic/ordinary set in our current dwellings. Electric would solve a loooot of problems.

Next year: Save up for an electric drum kit.

(lol at the teacher in me colour coding this shit)

Mine last year

Get/build a female companion.

Simple :)

Got so far as building and coding a robotic crane arm, but then got distracted by Generation VI of Pokémon. My attempts at wooing a human female also failed.

Same idea this year I guess

Mine last year

Got so far as building and coding a robotic crane arm, but then got distracted by Generation VI of Pokémon. My attempts at wooing a human female also failed.

Same idea this year I guess

The trick would be to put other stuff on your list, e.g. learn an instrument, write poetry, create a sci-fi epic, conquer Iran, build a satellite. Then, once you do this, the women come to you.

Last year's list was mostly fail. Got better at chess but took up smoking again.

This year I want to lose weight as I'm PODGE-TASTIC. Also want to move into my own place. I've achieved a lot of other stuff that I didn't set up as resolutions so it's not all fail for 2013!

2012 I decided to not have any. Good for me!

Poor Ine!

I have none, because I know I'll never keep any, I did pretty good this year, moving away and getting a decent job, but I try to take it a couple of days at a time nowadays.

2012 I decided not to even post! How rude.

Mostly, I've kept a steady job, kept a nice house and still have a working car. My parents are still alive and my sister is happy. I'm alive and earn money.

I don't really ask for much from myself these days!

I didn't really make a resolution last year, but looking back I guess those would/should have been (1)make friends(failed), (2)do things I read other people doing(I did travel to Rome, but on my lonesome, but I say I passed this one, biggest thing I have ever done), (3)and cut down on soda drinking(massive fail). I go for a repeat.

Edited by Tales

The trick would be to put other stuff on your list, e.g. learn an instrument, write poetry, create a sci-fi epic, conquer Iran, build a satellite. Then, once you do this, the women come to you.

I'm the Pokémon master. That should be good enough :p

Well, of last year's I only kinda/sorta resolved the 'get a job' one, and even then it's not a proper job. Still, I'm counting it as a win otherwise I failed on all accounts :laughing: Saying that, I did move out and get my own place, which while not a resolution was a massive, massive step forward.

For this coming year, I already know I want to stop drinking coffee but that's less a resolution and more just something I hope that I'll minimise over a couple of weeks/months before stopping completely. Think my heart could do with a break from the at times excessive caffeine highs.

I think generally, I just kind of want to keep pushing to be a bit more open. Can be quite introverted in real life but I've been making a big effort over the last year to be more open, talkative and approachable to people, both with colleagues as well as with strangers/randomers/new people I meet day to day. I mean, previously if I was sitting outside with a coffee or something, I'd never strike up a conversation with someone I didn't know but I've done it loads this year and met some really great people, so just kinda want to keep that up. And who knows, hopefully it'll lead on to me meeting someone really special :D

Other than that, I know I'm sorting out my gym membership in January as I want to get back into running so there's that to work towards. I still want to learn to play guitar, so hopefully I'll do that. But more importantly, I want to keep up the drawing and start writing again to help break up the constant flow of research I'll be embroiled in.

Edited by Ganepark32

I don't think I posted my resolutions in 2013 but I only had two main ones and I succeeded:

Lose at least a stone in weight

Did that and then some. I was 18st 3lb when I started and I weighed in on Christmas Day at 16st 11lb so I'm dead chuffed about that.

Get more hours working

Well, I kind of did this one because when I said this, I meant more hours where I am and even though I'm on the same contract, I did get more overtime. I also got myself another job as well so I did succeed in getting more hours.

===

This year will be different. I can feel it somehow:

• Lose at least another stone/become slimmer and stronger
  • Bench at least 100kg or more
  • Become a supervisor
  • Meet someone
  • Write in a blog every day
  • Finish writing my book

Red means I'm going to do it even if it kills me. Blue means I'll try my best but I won't cry over it if it won't happen.

@Animal, I think I missed you mentioning your second job. I remember you talking about an interview that wasn't suitable. What job did you get?

@Animal, I think I missed you mentioning your second job. I remember you talking about an interview that wasn't suitable. What job did you get?

I work in a card shop as well as a shoe shop. Both part-time but the shoe shop more and the best part of it is that it's literally two doors down from where I work. She pretty much gave me the job on the spot without me realising it. She told me to fill in a form and to hand it in and she'll put me through. I thought she meant she'll put me through to the interview stages but what she meant was put me through to actually get the job.

Pretty cool!

2013 was sadly another year with my head in the sand. I started off with good intentions, my driving lessons were going well (ish), I was handing out CV's and whilst I wasn't getting many interviews at least I was trying.

But as the year went on things just went kind of tits up again. I became quite the recluse this year, and whilst I've kept in touch with my closest friends, I have distanced myself from a lot of people. I feel especially distant from pretty much everyone at work now.

My overall mood has been pretty terrible too. I can be perfectly fine and happy the one day but then sometimes I'll just wake up and feel so down it's unreal. I can't shake it either, I'll just spend the whole day feeling utterly terrible. Sometimes it can be like this for weeks or more. But I've been like that for as long as I remember, so yes, what I should do is get help, maybe. Sometimes I can't tell if I am depressed or just a typical angsty young'un still trying to break out of teenage habits a bit late.

But yeah, my usual derpessive spells and anxiety keep holding me back from changing anything that makes me unhappy in the first place. So my number 1, and probably the only important thing for 2014, is to sort my damn head out.

Until that happens, I'll be on Instagram posting pictures of Banjo.

But yeah, in 2014 I'll hopefully improve my outlook on things! I think this is the first proper New Years Resolution I've made that hasn't been a hollow 'lose weight' situation.

EDIT: Just noticed my Christmas name, Jolly indeed :p

Until that happens, I'll be on Instagram posting pictures of Banjo.

And flirting with hot Mexicans!

My resolution for the past year was simply to continue improving my self-esteem, and I daresay I have succeeded. For probably the first time in my life I am beginning to genuinely consider myself attractive, which, needless to say, is quite a milestone. Obviously I have yet to completely rid myself of all feelings of low self-worth, and I suspect some amount will always linger, but I have certainly made monumental progress over the past year.

As for future resolutions, I think I shall refrain from making any solid ones; I want to strive to improve at all times, and setting up arbitrary goals for arbitrary dates seems a likely recipe for needless anxiety and stress.

Thank god I didn't make a post last year, would definitely have failed.

2013, has to be the year I get a new job. Start a career, even if it's shit.

Well I failed that. 2014 - sort my shit out.

Move to a nicer place, save more money, tattoo, write and draw more, one decent holiday, form more meaningful connections with people.

I'd also like to be more healthy, particularly with my diet.

And flirting with hot Mexicans!

Speaking of, another resolution of mine is starting a "get @Jolly64 to TJ for a BJ" fund.

I reckon @Hero\-of\-Time 's new year resolution should be to watch Attack on Titan :D