NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

#05 - N-Europe: Let's Talk Games (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

Oh dear, I'm late, terribly sorry!

Time for a PS1 classic!

Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg

Currently going through this with a friend, and it's nice to see how it all started after having played all the other IGAvanias.

The godfather doesn't dissapoint!

I played this first when it came out on the 360, after I had played through COTM, HOD, AOS and DOS (My first Metroidvania was COTM, which I first played in 2006, and I played the rest in release order) so that may have coloured my perceptions somewhat here...

... but I think that this game is overrated. It's far from being the best Metroidvania game. It's arguably the most ambitious of the series (indeed it also should be given rightful credit as being the origin of the series' shift towards Metroid style path-finding gameplay) and it obviously got the biggest budget of all the Metroidvania games but I just don't think that it's as well designed as the likes of AOS and DOS.

The map design is haphazard and not much thought went into its layout (other than making sure that it worked both sides up ;) ) and likewise the game's pacing is all kinds of strange, with lots of areas where nothing interesting resides and where bosses have all kinds of weird difficulty shifts that go both ways (sometimes they're ridiculously easy and then all of a sudden the next one is a total bastard!).

There are also some really total BS moments which make nonsense whatsoever, like with the room where you have to have a certain piece of armour to break through spikes and you are given absolutely no clues towards it whatsoever!

The shop is also largely useless and tedious to get to when you want to buy something like potions.

But that's not to say that it's all bad; it does have a rocking soundtrack! The good bosses are indeed interesting and good (but still not as good as AOS, OOE and DOS' bosses though) and the extra abilities that you find are used in some clever ways that are fun to use (and are not just glorified keys that unlock doors either!)

It's a good game and one of the better games of its type, but it is far from the best. AOS, DOS, OOE and even COTM are better than this; featuring more interesting level designs, gameplay systems and bosses. It was a good start to a great subseries, but it's not the epitome of Metroidvania that people make it out to be.

Like @Dcubed I too only got around to playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night when I decided to purchase it on XBLA a good few years back. I wouldn't say that playing it years on coloured my opinion of it in any way either, if I could have purchased it when it came out on the original Playstation then I would have but at the time I didn't have one as I was purely Sega/Nintendo only in those days, I would say that at least aesthetically the game has barely aged at all featuring that amazing soundtrack combined with some very nicely detailed visuals.

Structurally the concept is sound enough though sadly the execution is sorely lacking in places, especially when you compare it to more modern Metroidvania titles even if this game was partially responsible for bringing about the existence of such a term which is used so frequently in this modern age of gaming. In many ways it makes me appreciate some of the earlier games all the more, for me I would have to say that Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is for me one of the best games in the series but perhaps I just prefer the earlier titles in the series.

Overall I would say that SotN should still be commended and absolutely deserves to be played even though it perhaps receives more praise than it deserves at times, it will still be fondly remembered as a legendary title for its time and is always enjoyable despite its flaws which only detract slightly from the overall experience. :)

Verdict: The game which is half responsible for bringing the term Metroidvania into existence, it will always be remembered for this regardless of its age.

Hmmm, not a lot of fans, I see.

I'll see if I can find something a bit more mainstream tonight.

I haven't played this but I did play a couple of the Castlevania games on the GBA. They were alright, nothing spectacular and I don't see the link to Metroid.

I haven't played this but I did play a couple of the Castlevania games on the GBA. They were alright, nothing spectacular and I don't see the link to Metroid.

Then I'm not sure what game you were playing, cause from SOTN onwards the 2D CV games are blatantly inspired by Metroid!

They feature the exact same path-finding gameplay structure (explore environment, find and fight bosses & acquire items that enhance your abilities that enable you to pass through road blocks and explore more of the map) and even the same auto mapping system!

Each of the SOTN sequels on GBA & DS bring their own twists and innovations to the series but they're all based on that same gameplay structure that was invented by the Metroid series - hence why this sub-genre is colloquially known as the "Metroidvania" genre; these two series are the perennial examples that all other games in that genre follow.

Well you did post it in the Nintendo Gaming section ;) Might've gotten more responses if it was in General Gaming...

Edited by Dcubed

I went from playing Simon's Quest in 1990 to not touching a CV game until I picked up Portrait of Ruin in 2007. And to think, I almost picked up Yoshi's Island DS instead - that would have been tragic given PoR remains my favourite DS game and got me into the series having sought out the older games and the recent ones too. Sadly, I've not gotten around to this one. One day, maybe.

I went from playing Simon's Quest in 1990 to not touching a CV game until I picked up Portrait of Ruin in 2007. And to think, I almost picked up Yoshi's Island DS instead - that would have been tragic given PoR remains my favourite DS game and got me into the series having sought out the older games and the recent ones too. Sadly, I've not gotten around to this one. One day, maybe.

Ironically that's actually one of my least favourite Igavanias :laughing:

For me the Igavania order goes as thus...

AOS=DOS>>OOE>>>COTM>>SOTN>>>>POR>>>>>>>>>>>>>HOD

Ironically that's actually one of my least favourite Igavanias :laughing:

For me the Igavania order goes as thus...

AOS=DOS>>OOE>>>COTM>>SOTN>>>>POR>>>>>>>>>>>>>HOD

I'm sure there is an element to it being the "first" one I played as to why I love it so much but there are other points too.

I like the fact that you actually get to use the whip and it's a part of the story rather than simply a tool for vampire slaying. I enjoyed how you had to explore the castle and double back on yourself but then you had the more focused sub levels that were a bit more linear and action orientated... except the desert ones which were quite snakey with dead ends and such. As I later came to find out, the game featured more than a couple of remixes for its soundtrack but it's still very good and captures the spirit well - the rendition of Simon's Theme being the highlight. The side quests were always fun and at times clever too such as the clock tower at 12. I liked the weapon variety and being able to call on Charlotte's magic at an instant allowed for even greater possibilities. And just when you think the game is over, it opens up the alternate levels with all new monsters and eventually the gauntlet style level. Not to mention all the other bonus modes on top.

It just ticked all my boxes.

DoS was good but a bit grindy for weapons/souls and sometimes the level design made it a little too awkward to get to where you wanted to be. Julius mode was pretty nifty mind.

OoE... I enjoyed it a lot when I first played but follow-up runs really highlighted the weaker level design. The sub levels were, on the whole, poor and the castle felt a bit of a mess at times. And there seemed less variety in the combat too - to be fair, variety was around the same but I was looking for more given it's a sequel and I never got it. Albus mode was nice but fell short in comparison to the riches PoR gave for completion.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Well you did post it in the Nintendo Gaming section ;) Might've gotten more responses if it was in General Gaming...

Ironically, the reason he did so was because the General Gaming gave few responses to the Ruby&Sapphire thread ::shrug: Sometimes, there's just no winning.

I don't think we really have any members who don't visit this board throughout a week. I think it was just a game not as many have played.

Yeah its not really a game many have played...I look forward to when A Link To The Past, Super Metroid or Wii Sports are chosen :)

I think people didn't reply because it's not a Nintendo game....by comparison post one for a Castlevania that did appear on Nintendo platforms and see the difference.

This game needs more love here, people! This is the game that created the Castlevanias most of us knew and loved on our GBA and DS! And it's still one of the very best games of it's genre, to this day. Only Dawn of Sorrow comes close to it, imo! Sure, it ain't absolute perfection like Super Metroid, but it's definitely a fucking triumph!

Dat mandatory inverted castle mention.

9.5/10

Sign in to follow this