NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

True Detective

true-detective-poster-636-380-01.jpg

Weird that a thread for this hasn't popped up yet...

Best show in a long while. Amazing directing, writing and acting (Matthew McConaughey at the absolute top of his game, his portrayal of Rust destroys his oscar-winning role in DBC).

The (seasonal) anthology format means it most likely won't ever wear out it's welcome, and with only one episode left to go until the finale for this first tale, I think it's safe to say this will be the absolute king of TV in 2014.

That 6 min. long take at the end of episode 4 is probably the best scene in any tv show ever. Amazing stuff, really. Couldn't recommend this show enough. HBO delivering yet another top tier hit, as usual.

Anyone else watching?

Yeah i'm watching it, only seen the first episode, tonight i plan on catching up, but man its awesome! Harrleson and McConaughey are perfect in this, it really iss annoying that these actors languished in other typcast roles (Rom-com and comedy) where they were hit or miss, but now in these serieous roles they've come into their own!

Very similar to other actors who've moved genre's and suddenly become amazing (DiCaprio spings to mind, but there are many others)

Its really engrossing, its so dark and mesmerising and its hard to follow/guess what is going on, as in i've not immediately gone oh this will happen, X did this etc, its refreshingly hard to predict how it could play out, a sign of great writing

theres been some good gothing/horror and suspensful shows recently, ranging from the more buffy the vampire esc Grimm and Sleepy Hollow, to the more mature Following and then this at the end of that scale...it feels almost like a breaking bad moment for this type of Genre, something thats raised the bar for other TV shows

Right now i feel this could be very much like the Newsroom in that its far from light entertainment and is thought provoking and exceptionally well written unlike my potentially ramblingly worded response that may or may not get my point accross

I can´t get HBO (even if I wanted to), but this show piqued my interest. Too bad that HBO Netherlands only had the first episode free to stream on their site for a limited time, otherwise I´d check it out. I´m seriously considering pre-ordering the blu-rays blind though.. I´ve got a good feeling about it.

The final episode, when they arrive, is some of the most tense television I've ever seen.

Great show, pitching Gyllenhaal and Jackman to reprise their roles from Prisoners in Season 2 :D

Great show, pitching Gyllenhaal and Jackman to reprise their roles from Prisoners in Season 2 :D[/color]

I need to watch that movie... It has a very Fincher-y vibe, which I love.

Then you should watch Incendies, from the same director. I thought that one was beter, though I liked Prisoners as well. Enemy is also by the same director, and is also good, although pretty vague unlike Incendies and Prisoners.

Anyway, I did what I said I´d do, and pre-ordered it, so I´ll see for myself if the show is any good. Strangely though, Amazon has sent me an update notifying me of an actual releasedate in June, which is not consistent with HBO´s regular release schedule, so I don't know how reliable this info is.

Really enjoyed this, I can see why people were a bit frustrated by the ending, but it was always more the story of the relationship between Hart and Cohle.

Though now neither character will be back for s2, and it seems like there'll be a new case to solve each week rather than one overarching narrative, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Sounds like a step backwards to me, but time will tell...

Saw the whole season yesterday. Started off great, but the ending was utter crap. The

green paint connection

was the most retarded thing I´ve ever seen. But the whole episode was off. Characters were different. Did stupid things. And the bad guy was so typical you´d expect him in Law & Order: SVU. It really feels rushed after having 7 episodes of mainly slow paced character development.

The writer knows how to write characters and dialogue, but he really needs to work on his detective work and bad guys. The last episode was such an disappointment, I´m not sure I´m going to bother with season 2.

I've avoided any info about this so far -- Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell?! Interesting combo. Big rep to live up to after the first season..!