NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

#12 - N-Europe: Let's Talk Games (Rhythm Paradise DS)

One of my all-time favourite games in which I've sunk the most time in recent memory.

_-Rhythm-Paradise-DS-DSi-_.jpg

Quite an uninspiring boxart though...

That li'l white guy is all like: Why was I put here randomly?...:blank:

Rhythm Paradise is fantastic, it's the essence of gaming in it's purest most addictive form, I didn't pick it up when it first came out, I found it cheaply later on down the line - same with the Wii version - but I found it to be damn good fun! : peace:

That's all I really have to say about it though, for me there's more to talk about regarding last weeks game - Advance Wars - but I'm in the process of reviewing it - plus Mario & Luigi/Metroid Fusion - nevertheless I will post a slightly belated write-up on it soon. :)

Choosing to eschew buttons controls in favour of going fully touch only was a very daring move (and one that the developers really struggled with), but it was a move that really turned out to be a big success and enabled a very different form of gameplay over its predecessor (and of course its Wii sequel).

This is a game that just simply feels good to play. Every single note and interaction has been fine tuned to perfection (and speaking as someone who perfected every song in the game, not once did I ever feel that a mistake I made was the fault of the controls).

It's wacky, insanely creative and utterly bonkers to play. I love it! All 3 games in the series are masterpieces that should be played by everyone, but the DS game in particular is perhaps the most unique and interesting of them all, thanks to the touch controls that literally add a whole new dimension of nuance to the gameplay :)

_-Rhythm-Paradise-DS-DSi-_.jpg

Quite an uninspiring boxart though...

That li'l white guy is all like: Why was I put here randomly?...:blank:

Yeah it does feel a bit empty in comparison to the US box...

Rhythm_heaven_box_art.jpg

There. Much more lively :)

The brilliance of this game (and the entire Rhythm Tengoku/Paradise series) cannot be conveyed by mere words.

Good job too or this would be a long post. :grin:

But at the end of the day, if you value happiness, laughter and fun, you'll get a major kick out of Rhythm Paradise. If you don't... Well play it anyway, it'll sort you out. ;)

@Fused King, remember this vid?

Posted that in the Rhythm Paradise thread back in 2008.

Anyway, when I went to grab the link again to post it in here, I stumbled across this:

Absolutely incredible!! :o

That girl's on an express trip to superstardom! :awesome: And she owes it all to Rhythm Paradise! :heh:

That's just amazing! You go girl! :D

Speaking of Rhythm Heaven related videos, this one's always been a favourite of mine... (Yeah yeah, it's from the GBA game, but eh, whatever! :p)

I know a lot of you have probably seen it before, but it's just so cool that I can't not share it again! (The way he sheathes the sword after every slice really is the cherry on top!)

An oldie, but still a goodie! :)

Edited by Dcubed

All I have to say about this amazing game is;

Ahhhh, ahhhh, ah, together now, ahh!!

Brilliant!!!

hqdefault.jpg

Could never do this mini game and since it appeared in the remixes, I was never able to perfect them. :cry:

:o :o :o Those vids are amazing, especially the samurai one.

I'd love to see him do that with the Samurai rhythm game for Rhythm Paradise Wii!

I remember nearly Perfecting Rhythm Rally 2 in the train, but the the train conductor asked me for my ticket...

Was really hard to keep my cool at that moment.

My favourite characters were definitly the Blue Birds though:

180px-The_Blue_Birds_and_Duck_Captain.jpg

and then in Blue Birds from the North they became even better :D

Those segments you could see during the rhythm game in which their captain was 'training' them were just classic.

I also really loved the dumpling guy, Munchy Monk:

Munchy_monk.jpg

People should try mimicking him!

Yes, good memories, good memories.

I keep being surprised, though, that most people aren't actually all that good at the Rhythm Paradise games. I think it goes to show that people still approach it more as a game instead of as just feeling the beat and going with it.

I base this on having played Rhythm Paradise: Beat the Beat with some teenagers, but they more or less failed miserably. However, they did pick up on it though, but still couldn't get comfortable with the hand/ear/eye coordination.

One should basically be able to play the game blind and it's not much different than tapping along to the beat of a tune with your fingers.

Sign in to follow this