NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Announce Youtube Affiliate Programme

Posted in Wii U General, but figure it deserves its own thread

Nintendo announced on Twitter the following:

【YouTube映像に関するお知らせ】任天堂は以前より、不適切なものを除いて、YouTube上の任天堂の著作物を含む映像を正式に許諾しています。許諾した映像には広告がつくことがあり、その広告収益は従来のポリシー同様、Googleと任天堂で分配されます。(1/2)

【YouTube映像に関するお知らせ】その上で、より積極的な任天堂著作物の利用を希望される方に向けて、広告収益の一部を受け取れるアフィリエイトプログラムを準備しています。アフィリエイトプログラムの詳細については、後日続報いたします。ご理解の程、よろしくお願いいたします。(2/2)

Basically, they said that until now, the Youtube Content ID system got money for Nintendo and Google off of videos with Nintendo content. Now, they are instituting an aggressive affiliate programme in order to split revenue with the content creator. It's not currently known what the details are, but they will come at a later date.

Good move by Nintendo. Let's hope the other publishers follow suit.

Well Youtubers really have no right to make money off of other people's copyrighted content. The outrage was ridiculous, especially as Nintendo is by far not the only one who used Content ID.

Nintendo didn't have to do this, but they're doing it and it's a good thing :)

Well Youtubers really have no right to make money off of other people's copyrighted content. The outrage was ridiculous, especially as Nintendo is by far not the only one who used Content ID.

It depends on what. Let's Plays are fair enough for Nintendo to complain about, but in videos where small clips are shown (for example: reviews), then it's perfectly legal for someone to make money off their videos that use the clips.

Definitely a very difficult subject, but glad to see Nintendo sitting back and realising it's not a bad thing and offering the opportunity for a split.

Just throwing it out there, I think Let's Play videos that show the story away are the ones who don't necessarily deserve the advertisement revenues. Gameplay is fine in my eyes as showing people your gameplay isn't giving the audience the experience offered by the product.

Just throwing it out there, I think Let's Play videos that show the story away are the ones who don't necessarily deserve the advertisement revenues. Gameplay is fine in my eyes as showing people your gameplay isn't giving the audience the experience offered by the product.

There's definitely a big difference between a video showing someone playing Minecraft for a few hours and a video showing someone completing Pikmin 3.

There's definitely a big difference between a video showing someone playing Minecraft for a few hours and a video showing someone completing Pikmin 3.

Does the viewer come away feeling that they've played the game? This is why it's a tricky subject. Pikmin 3 is not a movie/show/whatever, to complete it, it requires action on the part of the "author".

So, let's get more specific. Say some one played Minecraft purely to beat the Ender Dragon and that's all it was, would it then be the same as showing some one completing Pikmin 3?

The most important thing here I think is that they finally seem to recognise the benefits of having Youtubers promoting their content. Hopefully it's a sign of a newer and more savvy Nintendo in general...

The most important thing here I think is that they finally seem to recognise the benefits of having Youtubers promoting their content. Hopefully it's a sign of a newer and more savvy Nintendo in general...

I don't know. Would this even be happening if there wasn't revenue to be made by Nintendo? Probably not but you never know. I can't see any single user becoming millionaires or anything like it through this.

I don't know. Would this even be happening if there wasn't revenue to be made by Nintendo? Probably not but you never know. I can't see any single user becoming millionaires or anything like it through this.

They are well within their rights to stop people profiting from their intellectual property.

Nintendo are also not the only company that has been doing this.

They are well within their rights to stop people profiting from their intellectual property.

Nintendo are also not the only company that has been doing this.

Of course they are, didn't say they weren't. I'm saying this feature wouldn't be happening if there wasn't money to be made. But at the same time, there's no money without us making videos. You wouldn't expect to go to work everyday and not be paid.

Of course they are, didn't say they weren't. I'm saying this feature wouldn't be happening if there wasn't money to be made. But at the same time, there's no money without us making videos. You wouldn't expect to go to work everyday and not be paid.

Ok, just wasn't sure since I've seen a lot of people say Nintendo has no right to any of the money. Apologies.

So does this mean if I use MK TV to upload an MK8 vid to my youtube I can monotinse it as normal Youtube Partner or will I have to sign up to something extra to be allow monotenise such a vid?