NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Dawn of the planet of the apes

Wanted to make a quick post about this in the general movie thread, but seeing the first had its own thread..

Went to the marathon yesterday. Hadn´t seent the first before yesterday (haven´t seen the originals or remake actually). Can´t remember why, or what my thoughts were on the film (I imagine pretty neutral), but it was pretty cool.

But god.. The 2nd one blows the first one right out of the water. First of all, watching them together had its advantages, as you can easily see the progression.. Apart from that, even though the story is set 10 years later I believe, most if not all Apes return, so you have an immediate bond with the characters, and can see how they´ve developed so far, and how they continue to do so.

Technically, the film is amazing. I´ve only seen the teaser before, and you can see it there: the cgi is beautiful. The wet fur looks great. Sometimes, you simply forget you´re looking at CGI, it´s simply the best I´ve seen this year. Coupled with that of course comes the fantastic animation. Mo-cap has come a long way, and I can now finally say it´s perfect. You´re looking at real, believable characters.

Since the Apes are now established from the start, there´s plenty more action than in the first.

The scene when the apes start attacking the human colony was amazing. Especially that shot where Koba hi-jacks that tank and uses it against them.

The setting was also cool, then again, I love post-apocalyptic settings. Both the Ape colony and the human colony looked unique and lovely. I can´t really say this, since I haven´t seen the original films, but I suspect this film feels more like (a progression towards) the originals. The post-apocalyptic nature gives it an alien feel.

Anyway, great characters, more drama, more (epic) action, and the best cgi this year. Go see it.

I´m pretty pleased with film year 2014 so far.

Edited by Sméagol

I saw this today...And yes, this was an incredible movie. Really can't believe how good it was - this isn't a mediocre film. Very powerful and emotive, it inspired me actually. Please watch!

Just got back from seeing this. Absolutely amazing. I'm a big fan of the first one and for me this is right up there with it.

The whole setting and the ruined landscape just looked like something out of The Last of Us. :D

I was worried that...

Koba was going to get away with everything. I was gutted when he killed Ash and wanted someone to kick his butt. Luckily he got what was coming to him.

I was actually surprised it ended like that. I thought it would have ended with Koba ruling over the humans and making them slaves, which would them set up the human fight back in the next film. As it stands I'm not sure how they are gonna continue the story, especially as A LOT of the male apes got killed during the fighting.

Cracking film and would recommended everyone give it a watch, especially if you enjoyed the first one.

I've been itching to see this and have finally accomplished it. As a huuuuuge fan of the series (old film series, the new film/s and even the tv show), I was relieved that it didn't suck. Part of me did wonder if the brilliance of the first film would overshadow this one, or if the bar had been raised too high.

Thankfully, it's great. I loved every second of it and want to see it again.

I don't think it's quite as brilliant as the first. The first seems to have more finesse, imo. In a way, this is to Rise what Aliens was to Alien. It's different, whilst also serving as a very worthy sequel.

I LOVED the first 45 minutes or so where they mostly just focused on the Ape village. I loved it, seeing their way of life. Thought they handled the dynamics between the humans and apes excellently.

My favourite bit of the film was where they went back to the house in the first film. The scene with the video-camera....sniff sniff. Also, Ash's death by being thrown over a balcony. :(

The final shot of Malcolm retreating into the shadows...fuuuuck. They filmed that really well. :)

Overall, wow. It's brilliant to see how film-making has evolved, particularly the motion capture/CGI aspect. It's no longer, "look, this almost looks sort of like an ape if you see it from a distance and look how it moves, it's funny." It's no longer about that. We're now at a point where we actually have three dimensional characters with enough depth to carry the films by themselves. I'm excited to see where they can go with the third film.

I'm going to see this tomorrow and CAN'T WAIT. I was never a huge fan of the old films and the 2000 (ish) remake, but the 2011 film was awesome so the fact that most of you like this one even more is great.

The last time I saw Rise was in cinemas though, and I saw it on DVD for like £5 yesterday, so might nab it today and refresh myself before tomorrow!

I'm going to see this tomorrow and CAN'T WAIT. I was never a huge fan of the old films and the 2000 (ish) remake, but the 2011 film was awesome so the fact that most of you like this one even more is great.

The last time I saw Rise was in cinemas though, and I saw it on DVD for like £5 yesterday, so might nab it today and refresh myself before tomorrow!

How was it for you?

I saw this last week and really liked it, although there were some plotting issues and the writing for the humans was pretty terrible.

Still, Chimp Wars/10

Sign in to follow this