NEurope
Happenstance

Playstation Now

From today (July 31), PS4 users will have the ability to rent and stream games from a library of more than 100. According to Sony, more games will be added regularly.

Games will be available to rent for 7, 30 and 90-day periods. There will also be a brief 4-hour rental option depending on the release.

Many of the games will include post-release DLC, and will contain Trophy support, cloud saves and online multiplayer when applicable.

Sony has also confirmed that it is looking into a possible PlayStation Now subscription service.

The streaming service will make its PS3, Vita and PlayStation TV debut soon. It will also be available on select Sony smart TVs.

Sony recently suggested that PlayStation Now would launch in the UK before other European territories.

Seems very interesting. Will be great for me as I am one of the gamers that he mentioned there (someone who skipped the PS3 generation...and PS1 and PS2, come to think of it)

Subscription service will probably be the key for this. Make it similar to LoveFilm and I'm in. :D

0a0bc582385185cb33cdad94d4406a20.582x761x1.jpg

ClownFaceNoCrease400.jpg

Depending on prices and stream quality, this service could end up being absolute pants. For linear games where you're only interested in the campaign, I wonder if a couple of 4 hour rentals would be a cheeky tactic to race through it, or if pricing will be arranged to discourage that.

Also, will pause menus eat into your rental time? etc

Yeah I imagine pausing the game will.

4hr rentals seem most appropriate for friends coming round in the evening and playing a sports/racing game.

Presumably out prices will be something like:

£1.99, £3.99, £5.99 and £9.99, but yeah a subscription would be better.

If they dont do a netflix style subscription i wont be bothering. Digital purchases should be cheaper than a second hand copy of the game. I saw games on PSN at £55 each.... Games that i might be tempted at for £15/£20 but yeah, stuuuupid idea at those prices.

I get the feeling that at the moment this is aimed more at people who don't own a PS4/PS3.

If you think about it, if you don't have a console. Those aren't necessarily bad prices.

But yeah, subscription for me or nothing.

I mean, if Nintendo were doing this and I could access it without a Wii U, I'd happily rent Mario Kart 8 for a month.

I'd certainly be interested in renting and playing inFamous Second Son through my PS3.

I mean, if Nintendo were doing this and I could access it without a Wii U, I'd happily rent Mario Kart 8 for a month.

Precisely why they should go third party or roll out a subscription service. A Nintendo Steam would be incredible. I haven't given them any money for 7 years now solely because I didn't want to buy their consoles.

What's been people's reactions to the beta so far? I'm eager to hear it.

The two things that do concern me are the pricing model and the lag. I imagine a subscription model will be somewhat worth it, but the lag issue concerns me. It may convince me to go for a wired connection, although I don't know if that'll do much. The idea of this sounds good though and it could be a great success if Sony do it properly.

I would love to play something like the Playstation FF games but to be honest i'm not liking the idea of rentals.

Subscription on the other hand...

I would love to play something like the Playstation FF games but to be honest i'm not liking the idea of rentals.

Subscription on the other hand...

If you like the idea of an FF player, consider a Vita. At around £100 they're so worth it, especially for Indie and cross play titles (as well as all the stuff you accumulate on Plus).

What's been people's reactions to the beta so far? I'm eager to hear it.

The two things that do concern me are the pricing model and the lag. I imagine a subscription model will be somewhat worth it, but the lag issue concerns me. It may convince me to go for a wired connection, although I don't know if that'll do much. The idea of this sounds good though and it could be a great success if Sony do it properly.

Unless there's been another beta I haven't known about, the only one has been in the US. Even if you got into it over here, the connection speed wouldn't be good enough for the games to even start.

The idea may sound good but the pricing is just a joke. Many of these games you could spend a couple of quid more (or sometimes less!) to pick up a full copy of, which you can play at your leisure and even sell on after. And no PS1/PS2 games or discount if you own the original disk means they seem to have forgotten the original idea of the service, which was to provide an alternative to backwards compatibility. At least it was before they decided to stream to TVs etc..

Edited by Shorty

Unless there's been another beta I haven't known about, the only one has been in the US. Even if you got into it over here, the connection speed wouldn't be good enough for the games to even start.

The idea may sound good but the pricing is just a joke. Many of these games you could spend a couple of quid more (or sometimes less!) to pick up a full copy of, which you can play at your leisure and even sell on after. And no PS1/PS2 games or discount if you own the original disk means they seem to have forgotten the original idea of the service, which was to provide an alternative to backwards compatibility. At least it was before they decided to stream to TVs etc..

I phrased it badly, I didn't mean "our people", but rather people who have taken part in the beta. US brahs. Has there been any reaction to it from them yet?

Just watching Giant Bomb test out Dead or Alive 5 through PS Now on last nights premium show. They have a really good connection so obviously wont be the same for everyone but it seems to work really well. Glad they tested a fighting game as I know those along with racing games were the worry for PS Now and input lag.

Good to know that eventually when most of the UK does have a good connection (2020+? lol) that it'll be a decent service. Providing the prices ever become reasonable.

Looks like PS Now is getting its subscription pricing at launch. Thats something it really needed for me to make it worth paying for.

North America gets $15-a-month PlayStation Now subscription service

PlayStation Now, Sony's video game streaming service, launches a subscription in North America next week.

Sony announced the subscription today, alongside pricing. It goes live in North America first on PlayStation 4, on 13th January, with two subscription plans: one month for $19.99 or a three-month package for $44.99, which works out at about $15 a month.

For this you get access to more than 100 PlayStation 3 games, with more to be added over time.

"There's strong value with the subscription, as you're getting access to over a hundred great games and lots of hours of game time," wrote PlayStation Now marketing chief Peter Jamshidi on the US PlayStation Blog.

"What's more, we will be adding even more games over time, so you will always have something great to play."

PlayStation Now is progressing, then, in North America. But it's not even available yet in Europe.

"We have no additional information to share at this time," a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe salesperson told Eurogamer today. Last we heard it would launch on these shores at some point in 2015.

What's the hold up? Sony has said Europe is a more complex region than North America in terms of broadband provision, so it has to deal with more providers and more varied connection speeds from country to country.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-05-north-america-gets-usd15-a-month-playstation-now-subscription-service?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Quite interesting. The first serious netflix type service for games.

Samsung will also be including this with their tv. The 3 month proce isnt bad at all.

That's exactly the sort of pricing I was hoping for. So long as the library is decent anything up to £20 for an occasional month of access would suit me fine.

I'd go for that, as long as it wasn't a fixed contract and you could get out any time.

PlayStation Now Entering Closed Beta in the UK

Sony has announced PlayStation now is set to kick off closed beta in the UK this spring.

The streaming service, which is set to allow PS4 owners to play older PS3 games via the cloud, will be available for free during the first stage of the beta. Those who are interested in participating should register their interest now.

Though the full list of games available during beta is yet to be revealed, it'll apparently include Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, The Last of Us, God of War: Ascension, Rayman Legends, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Saints Row: The Third, Just Cause 2, The Walking Dead and Dirt 3.

Earlier this year, Sony revealed its plans for the PlayStation Now subscription service, and we've wasted no time in getting to grips with it in North America where it's already available. So far it's looking like a service with plenty of promise, though visual fidelity sometimes takes a hit.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/playstation-now-entering-closed-beta-in-the-uk