NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kaeporagaebora

Overplaying?

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I think I've played my Cube to much. Load times are way up, music skips and loops fast, the people in cutscenes stay on the wall while their guns prance down a hallway, and, worst of all, at least once a play session, I get the message "An error has occured" And no, it's not my discs, they all run like a dream on other cubes. Damn.

I never thought I could love too much. :cry:

What have you been playing dude? And how long would one of your play sessions be?

Ive not experienced anything like this... but maybe others have?

Zelda, Smash Bros., Starfox, nothing too out of the ordinary. I used to frequently run off play sessions of 12 hours or more. But I stopped that nonsense. They're much smaller now, but I think the damage was done.

EDIT:I thought I should mention that I've had the cube since launch day.

Ive had mine from day one too and Ive had play sessions that must have atleast been getting close to the twelve hour mark when I was in the thick of games like Tales of Symphonia. Ive not had a techincal hitch yet - except, in a way, with Eternal Darkness.

For some odd reason my Gamecube doesn't seem to like Metroid Prime anymore, i've completed the game 5 times and every now and then recently the game freezes up and I have to restart, luckily everything else works fine.

12 hour game sessions. I don't know whether thats insane or stupid. Jesus christ think you should give you eyes and body a rest man. Not to mention the Cube.

Ive had mine since launch and it has crashed more often recently(its still only crashed about 15 times though). Just make sure there is no dust on the lens, i think thats what was affecting mine.

Haha, my longest gaming session was 5 hours, how do you guys manage 12?!

As for the Cube, at least the Wii is out soon, or you could buy a new Cube for about £20.

I'm a bit ashamed to say it now but I used to play for 12 hours sometimes more on my gamecube. Mostly that was on Phantasy star online though. My Cube still works after a year of playing PSO most nights and then about 6 months of PSO CARD 3.

However I'm now on my 3rd PS2. Both previous PS2's lasted just under a year each and the first ps2 only had 2 games brought for it in its life yet somehow got the ‘Disc read error’ problem.

Well, I take short breaks to use the bathroom, find a new bag of food, ect. But I used to have alot of free time. Not as much now. I only went a full twelve hours 7 or 8 times. But ten was fairly regular.

Well once I was playing tos until about 4am in the morning. I only stopped because the sun had come up and my eyes were closing.

My smash and timesplitters 2 discs only work about 50% of the time.

12 hour game sessions. I don't know whether thats insane or stupid. Jesus christ think you should give you eyes and body a rest man. Not to mention the Cube.

Thats the 1st time ive agreed with you, 12 ours is sad, and bad for your health...

Clean your gamecube lenses using an earbud with alcool (carefully) and then clean the alcool with some clean cloth before it evaporates (so that no stains remain).

If all else fails you always have this:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-gc-rlens.html

It's sold in various shops. Just google for gamecube replacement lens, or gamecube optical drive replacement. Something like that.

It's relatively easy to install. No soldering, no hardmodding.

Thanks. I'll give it a try...

Well, it kinda worked. It didn't solve all the problems, the load times are still a little long, but the errors have stopped. I tried all the games and played through classic on Smash Bros. and they all started up with no problem. Except Jr. Baby Son-of-a-bitch Timesplitters. The gamecube keeps telling me there's no disc inserted. Damn. Thanks for the help, and not whining about my playing habits.

Yeh...I'm sure ly laser's wearing out and getting more sensitive...It can't always pick up the discs; but it's just a mix of age of Cube & some scratches on dics i expect (My Freeloader's kinda bad cos it's never put in it's case, heh)

Well, I take short breaks to use the bathroom, find a new bag of food, ect. But I used to have alot of free time. Not as much now. I only went a full twelve hours 7 or 8 times. But ten was fairly regular.

Me and my mates have had melee on for 16 hours, but that was a sleepover with 12 of us and we kept switching, sleeping e.t.c

If what Blue_Ninja0 said doesn't completely helps, try re-adjusting the laser's power, if your warranty is over you could give it a try:

• just open you're cube;
  • take all the screws;
  • take the top "floor";
  • unscrew the metal plate below it;

image156.jpg

• adjust the laser pot until it works better (where it says probes it's for the multimeter so you can read the ohms);

image158.jpg

Turn it VERY softly, the slightest turn can make it change 50 ohms.

Damn, Shino beat me to it. I was going to post that.

The gamecubes are manufactured and set to a specific POT level. But as time passes this POT will eventually decrease more and more untill one day your laser is completely dead.

Don't let this happen. Follow Shino's instructions and adjust your POT level.

Here's some nice and simple tutorial:

http://www.consoleworkshop.co.uk/Tutorials/GC%20laser%20tweak.php

Just DON'T set your POT below 80 or above 400 Ohms.

Remember no one is responsible if you do any damage to your gamecube, but so far this worked for me.

Or of course you can just buy a new lazer, that might help. They don't cost too much either as far as I can recall..

My smash and timesplitters 2 discs only work about 50% of the time.

You have the most f*cked up Smash disc EVER! Seriously, sometimes it's fine, but then others times it'll have an error every time a fight is loading or when the victory screen opens. Grrrrr very annoying.

My GC seems to be suffering, as everytime I got a 5* rating on mercenaries (resi 4) an error seems to occur. It was SO annoying :nono:

My GC seems to be suffering, as everytime I got a 5* rating on mercenaries (resi 4) an error seems to occur. It was SO annoying :nono:

Is that your excuse then? :heh:

Mines been fine, and I play on it shitloads, I've had it since launch day and none of my 40+ games have broken. I just take care of it I guess.

Is that your excuse then? :heh:

Mines been fine, and I play on it shitloads, I've had it since launch day and none of my 40+ games have broken. I just take care of it I guess.

I don't need an excuse, i'm great at the game already, seeing as I already have the handcannon (would have thought it looked cooler but meh, wat ya gonna do).

I don't need an excuse, i'm great at the game already, seeing as I already have the handcannon (would have thought it looked cooler but meh, wat ya gonna do).

Lol, I was just kidding.

Handcannon = best weapon of all time although the Killer 7 looks a lot cooler...but like the infinite launcher, it sucked all the fun out of playing the game, at least it was more fun to use though...

Krauser is my fave in Mercenaries mode, cause of his transform move, sooo cool.

Try doing Professional with just a knife though...now that'll impress me...:laughing:

Sign in to follow this